NAIAS: North American International Auto Show

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

more reasons not to drive an SUV: you support TERRORISM!!!!! :gasp:

SUV's linked to TERRORISM!

TV spots heating up SUV fight

Local stations decline to run contentious ads

January 9, 2003

BY JULIE HINDS

DETROIT FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A group called the Detroit Project announced plans Wednesday to air two edgy anti-SUV television commercials in select cities, including Detroit. The Los Angeles-based coalition, headed by syndicated columnist Arianna Huffington, is out to convince the public that gas guzzling poses a threat to national security.

The ads are supposed to debut Sunday morning, during the political talk shows. They've already aired on newscasts on NBC's network news Tuesday and WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) local news Wednesday night.

But the likelihood of the commercials reaching the Motor City's airwaves as ads seems iffy.

The message of the commercials is bare-knuckle brutal and, according to critics, downright ludicrous.

The commercials link SUVs to terrorism, mimicking the government-sponsored antidrug ads that debuted during the 2002 Super Bowl.

In one ad, a stream of people have this to say about driving SUVs: "I helped hijack an airplane . . . I helped blow up a nightclub . . . So what if it gets 11 miles to the gallon . . . I gave money to a terrorist training camp in a foreign country."

And so on, for 30 seconds. The concluding line? "What is your SUV doing to national security? Detroit, America needs hybrid cars now."

The second spot is a play on a children's rhyme:

"This is George. This is the gas that George bought for his SUV. This is the oil company executive that sold the gas that George bought for his SUV. These are the countries where the executive bought the oil, that made the gas that George bought for his SUV. And these are the terrorists who get money from those countries every time George fills up his SUV."

FUCKING-A, how stupid!!!

Archived