Northwest Superthread

trew

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Just south of you.............

Originally posted by Asickeronius

Hey trew.........I spotted some tags of yours on a bridge in your hometown awfully close to some metal spots...........that's not the main spot for fr8's is it? True blue was the color.............

You got other spots? Just curious...........

That is the biggest yard, yes. Main spot for painting freights...I'm not sure, I don't paint that many, but there are other spots.

Re: Re: Just south of you.............

Originally posted by trew

That is the biggest yard, yes. Main spot for painting freights...I'm not sure, I don't paint that many, but there are other spots.

Hmmmmm.........interesting! That's the biggest spot huh? Crazy small!

Wanna drop me an e-mail to chit chat about some things?

Re: Re: Re: Just south of you.............

Originally posted by Asickeronius

Hmmmmm.........interesting! That's the biggest spot huh? Crazy small!

Wanna drop me an e-mail to chit chat about some things?

Speaking of chit chat.......hit up my email! Because I lost yours! Im plannin on tryin to head that way in the futuristic digital style....I still got them pictures too...bleh....

Re: ANOTHER ARTICLE

Originally posted by trew

Graffiti vandals go on a spraying spree in Seattle

George Erb Staff Writer

When they aren't taking tickets or selling popcorn, employees of the Cinerama movie theater in downtown Seattle are sometimes outside, scrubbing the wall that faces Fourth Avenue.

A vandal wielding a can of black spray paint recently scrawled an indecipherable message in big, swooping letters across the blue tiles, and employees are still trying to clean up the mess. Leaving the graffiti is not an option for theater manager Peter Ingram. "It's not good for business," he said.

When night falls in Seattle, out come the spray cans. Graffiti vandals have become increasingly busy in recent weeks, tagging everything from downtown office buildings to neighborhood stores, according to the city and business groups.

"There's been a large increase in graffiti all over the city," said Marget Chappel, program manager of graffiti prevention with Seattle Public Utilities. The department's graffiti hotline logged 151 complaints of tags on private property in April, up from 104 complaints in January.

Part of the increase is seasonal. Chappel says taggers get busier in the spring, with the arrival of warm, dry weather - a scenario that is more pronounced this year because of the drought. Also, taggers who are students recently had spare time on their hands because of spring break.

Graffiti vandals have been especially active in downtown Seattle, the Sodo business district, Belltown and West Seattle.

For the moment, taggers may be busier in Seattle than other Puget Sound cities. Tagging in Tacoma is waning, for example. "There has been a dramatic decline on how many calls we get," said Loni Kaleiwahea, who handles graffiti removal as a Pierce County diversion coordinator.

In contrast, the Sodo business district south of downtown Seattle last month experienced a dramatic increase in graffiti vandalism - so much so that Mike Peringer, head of the Sodo Business Association, recently issued a graffiti alert.

Sodo buildings that were severely damaged in the Feb. 28 earthquake are especially vulnerable to taggers because many of them are still unoccupied. Nonetheless, Peringer has been urging Sodo property owners to clean up the mess.

The reason: Many people associate graffiti with urban decay and crime, and Peringer doesn't want the Sodo district to get a reputation as an unsavory area. "It doesn't hurt businesses per se, but it makes the area look bad," Peringer said.

His sense of urgency is heightened by the prospect of thousands of baseball fans passing through the neighborhood July 10 for the All-Star Game at nearby Safeco Field.

Owners of tagged buildings certainly have to be vigilant - and persistent. Tres Bonne, a contract-sewing company that leases a building on First Avenue South in the Sodo district, has been skirmishing for more than a year with an unknown graffiti vandal.

The tagger repeatedly paints clusters of squared, hieroglyphic figures in the same locations on one wall that faces a back parking lot and a front wall that faces First Avenue South. The company painted over the graffiti, only to have the tagger leave his or her mark on top of the new paint.

Tres Bonne's out-of-state landlord has not responded to the latest tag, which has remained undisturbed for months. "I guess they figured it's just going to happen again," said Virginia Walton, Tres Bonne's owner. "It's just the way it is, I guess."

City officials and business associations prefer to remove graffiti as soon as possible. Quick cleanups deny taggers the visibility they crave and restore a sense of order among neighborhood residents, said Chappel, Seattle's graffiti-prevention manager.

Ingram, the Cinerama manager, insisted on cleaning up the building's graffiti right away because he didn't want consumers to get the impression that the inside of the theater is unkempt. "A good outside appearance means a good inside appearance," he said.

Seattle is relying on several anti-graffiti strategies.

The city has a special truck and four full-time "graffiti rangers" who remove tags from public property within 10 working days. However, only two of the workers are permanent employees.

Cleaning up graffiti on private property is largely the responsibility of property owners. Seattle can threaten owners with a $100-a-day fine if they repeatedly refuse to remove tags. In extreme cases, the city can clean up the mess and send the owner the bill.

But the city would rather work with neighborhood groups on graffiti problems than wave the municipal code at uncooperative property owners, Chappel said.

Seattle provides cash grants, often $1,000, to nonprofit organizations that mobilize neighborhood residents and businesses for such projects as cleaning up graffiti, litter and illegal dumps. In South Park, dozens of volunteers on two occasions removed graffiti and several thousand pounds of garbage.

Neighborhood and business organizations may be the most effective weapon against graffiti, if only because the city does not have enough resources to tackle the problem alone, Chappel said. "We're running as fast as we can, and we're not making a dent."

Great Article!!! I've only been to Seattle once, but the graff there is thorough, and the citizens hate it so much I laughed for hours! I did realize that it was quick to be cleaned up however. I was near Pioneer Square, where Kaws hit up some fence with a dope throwie, and was buffed the next day. One building near Broadway even took the liberty when painting over some Graff to make an X over the piece, not totally painting over it, but probably just as a message to try and piss the artist off. Fags....

Guest socrates

Re: Re: ANOTHER ARTICLE

Originally posted by grafkat86

when painting over some Graff to make an X over the piece, not totally painting over it, but probably just as a message to try and piss the artist off. Fags....

It was over I think grave but I could be wrong....It has one of the quickest buffs in the city...penalties are steep and fast for property owners.......just makes you think a little bit more..........

Archived