Alcoholism

Step8

^Yeah, I feel ya. I hadn't done a week or more since I started drinking in the late 90's. Slowly progressed over 10+ years to spending pretty much any free time I had drinking.

One thing that really bothers me is that I don't think anything good ever came out of it except making myself temporarily feel good. On the other hand, SO much bad shit has happened from it over the years.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't regret any drinking benders I've gone on, I wouldn't know the people I know, do the shit I did, or had the good times. I'm making this change for my health and work before I completely blow it. New years is going to be horrible for me, I might drink just that night, take the next day off and start over.

Manute imagine if you didn't drink on new years.....you would probably feel like superman.

I don't regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it......everything I did contributes to who I am today.

Some shit I feel bad about, putting hands on people etc. But it has given me an insight to why I needed to make a change.

My Thanksgiving is finna be a fail. Have not even gone to the store yet to get a turkey. haha.

Tried to go last night but my friend with the car wanted to go to a bar first. Then get some yay and a 12 pack. Groceries never got bought. I hung the whole time being offered bumps and beers. Was a bit annoying that even after I told my homie I wasn't drinking a few times he kept offering beer and bumps to the point I got pissed. Then he said he was just trying to be hospitable and forgot and that I was being an asshole. Go figure...

• Like 1

I had no problem not drinking today or last night, and you're right, I would feel great not drinking on new years, but if I can make it all the way till then without one sip, I feel like I can drink a bottle of champagne and not turn it into the "why not get drunk the next night?" kind of thing.

Lets face it, getting shit blasted is a lot of fun, and if I don't drink for over a month I'm going to get way drunker than I normally would off a lot less. That's awesome to me.

Cool story:

Ive been lurking in here for awhile and finally sacked up and went to a meeting. I emptied everything out almost 2 weeks ago ... Sunday it'll be 14 days clean.

I have a dependency, i didnt let it get to the point of addiction but it would have gone there. Alcoholism describes half my family and many of my friends. I was a lot like Malin a few pages back in that i drank to escape reality, loneliness, all that.

Lost a lot from drinkin'. I'm only going to open meetings for now, and just once a week. Maybe i'll drink sometime in the future. but for now it's awesome having a group like AA there while i work through aa few changes ive made.

Thanksgiving greetings,

INJ.

Last night was the first night in a very, very long time that I didn't drink. I'm all good. Part of the reason, I'm sure, is that I was too hungover to hit the liquor store and didn't shower until it was around last call, anyway. The night before, I had two 19 year old gymnast girls chilling with me the whole night until 6am and the demonstrations of what they can do were very, very interesting. .

Anyway, this article is a bit of an eye opener. It's a Canadian article but please read. It's worth it.

http://www.thestar.com/atkinsonseries/atkinson2011/article/1092905--it-s-like-saying-to-a-cancer-patient-we-can-t-treat-you-yet-because-your-cancer-isn-t-at-stage-4-patrick-smith?bn=1

^^^^

i am surprised by that, I have never once heard a similar argument made in the States....ignorance is bliss.

So the woman who chaired my meeting yesterday said she is from a family with 16 children.....all of them are alcoholics or addicts.

The article Weapon posted said only 2.5 percent of Canadians are alcoholics, seems conservative, but who knows. Anyway, my question to you guys is how many of you come from families where alcoholism is present.

I do, my dad and my brother, both grandpas and 3 of my 4 uncles.....

Basically wondering about the genetic thing.

I reckon the genetic argument is probably pretty strong. In a way it is interesting, but where the rubber hits the road is it is irrelevant to me in terms of my own recovery and trip with booze.

One uncle dead from drunken helicopter crash, one uncle recently released from prison on manufacturing charge, one uncle in the NA program, one highly functional alcoholic father on my end of things.

Had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving, it is remarkable comparing the amount of wine consumed at these things now that the gf and I do not drink.

Funny to see the younger folks in here talking about how much fun getting loaded is, if my experience is correct the "fun" in getting loaded goes away after a while so watch out for that.

Life is a long distance event, the payoff from sobriety is a slow one but worth while. I would caution anyone getting clean for the first time to be aware of that, life is still hard after you quit drinking.

aaah. reason we drink so much is we are too smart for our own good.

I read that today and ukno what.... I believe it. Ignorance is bliss. There

are plenty of dumb happy fucks floating around. Easily fooled fools. Its

a good reason to stay home. I start having to interact with people too

much and man..... I start feeling miserable, impatient and antisocial.

What does alcohol do? Among other things it dumbs you down some.

If you cant beat em join em.

not directly related to genetics, but i think is a huge factor without people ever noticing;

by the time children are 7 years old their brains are developed enough to have the foundation for the characteristics they'll have in life. their capacity to rationalise, deal with stress, handle social interaction etc are pretty much hard wired, if parents drink problematically or use when the kids are growing i think its only logical that they will believe that is a normal way of dealing with problems.

im not making that up either, a few studies have shown that kids at 7 have most of the characteristics that they'll have when they become adults.

i wonder how much nature vs nurture affects addictive personalities.

He hydroplaned with my car and hit a pole. The news blasted it as a drunk driving accident, with a stolen car, but he actually wasn't drunk. The blood alc came back as 0. They re-did the story as man dies leaves behind pregnant girlfriend.

Big mess, my insurance is fucked, I didn't get a dime for my totaled car, 3 other people were in it and got all fucked up. Summer 09-best/worst ever.

He hydroplaned with my car and hit a pole. The news blasted it as a drunk driving accident, with a stolen car, but he actually wasn't drunk. The blood alc came back as 0. They re-did the story as man dies leaves behind pregnant girlfriend.

Big mess, my insurance is fucked, I didn't get a dime for my totaled car, 3 other people were in it and got all fucked up. Summer 09-best/worst ever.

I remember that. Too bad that coward snitch who was in the car didnt die instead of your friend. Would have been better that way.

/nodisrespectintended

...on a different note. I found out that 2 dudes I know just relapsed pretty hard. One had almost 1.5 years clean, and one had more than 4. Neither of them died..but its always an eye opener for me. Sometimes I think that im pretty far removed from that shit...but its humbling to see that when it comes down to it, any of this shit can happen to me.

• Like 1

Don't tell her...Let it be incentive to clean up enough to fool her. If shes really all that and you pull it off fuck with her instead of the dope. From time to time blow some roxys or whatever but treat it as tho you earned the right to indulge instead of something you need to do to stay off sick. But thats just suggestions.

That coward snitch has no backbone, last time I saw him I simply told him hes on thin ice when it comes to getting punched in the face, if it wasn't for some good mutual friends it would have already happened. Honestly though, beating up worms is no fun.

Today would be the day I get back to the usual drinking benders, but I did good. Kept busy and hung out with drunks, still had fun, I'm good for a while I'm sure. New years will be tough, maybe I won't drink.

can't get day one at all. I've done it in the past., but it has literally been a year since I went a day without drinking.

I'm in a new city, with a couple friends from my old town. School stress and work are killing me, I'm probably gonna quit my job soon, even though it is a pretty good gig, just because the stress is making me stay up until 3am drinking to fall asleep.

Anybody have advice on how to stay focused through day 1? I'm a pretty heavy drinker, i know about carrying sweets for the sugar cravings, etc. But fuck man, falling asleep sober is nearly impossible for me. That's one of the reasons I started drinking and smoking at the end of the night, the spins actually let me fall asleep.

I need help.