Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Step8

Alcoholism

it really must be true that things get better cause the first day I stopped using I walked to the beer store to get a seltzer water and mohammed behind the counter offered me a job. its a conveinence store in the hood but theres a gun behind the counter and ill be making cash money so I can keep getting unemployment checks. things WILL get better for all of us if we stick with it so lets stay positive, confident and DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE!

hang tough my brothers

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the only temp sponsor i had flaked out for a week on me, and then made plans to take me to a meeting and then flaked out again. the dude had a year + sober too or something. it's not always the new guy......

TRUE,

NOW LET's ALL STOP POINTING FINGERS AND SEE THE PATH IN FRONT OF OURSELVES,

MAKING SURE WE DON'T "TRIP" FROM OUR OWN UN-TIED SHOE-LACES,

THEN TRYING TO BLAME IT ON SOMEONE WALKING NEXT TO US.

SOBER-WEEKEND

the only temp sponsor i had flaked out for a week on me, and then made plans to take me to a meeting and then flaked out again. the dude had a year + sober too or something. it's not always the new guy......

call that fool and fire him.....thats a bullshit ass sponsor

it is a two way street...both the new guy and the sponsor need accountability

your not blaming anyone if you call people on bullshit, my first sponsor ever would not call me back for 3-4 days sometimes.....guess what i got loaded eventually.

i should have given that fool walking papers and hollered at someone else who showed more commitment/involvement in the program.

dont hesitate to fire a sponsor if they are full of shit, or if they arent working the program as its supposed to be. they should have a sponsor themselves, they should have completed the steps before they take anyone through them.

ive said it before and i will say it again....if you hear someone speak at a meeting and you can relate to their story/they are speaking about RECOVERY , ask them if they will sponsor you. the sooner you have a sponsor the better......

the only requirement is you want to stop drinking and are willing to put in the footwork that is required.

keep it movin fellas

gonna pick up a case tonight after work and go drink with the homies can't wait..

I've probably already been an alcoholic for awhile and either haven't realised it yet or just don't give a fuck lol

gonna pick up a case tonight after work and go drink with the homies can't wait..

I've probably already been an alcoholic for awhile and either haven't realised it yet or just don't give a fuck lol

YOU HAD THE SELF-CONTROL TO WAIT TILL AFTER WORK TO GET THE ALCOHOL.

(No need for me to "Romantisize" over the 2 Real Chill Jobs i lost Drinking on the Job)

I WOULDN'T CALL YOUR CURRENT STATE, ALCOHOLISM WHATSOEVER.

i generally used to wait until after work to drink (not including blue collar or minimum wage jobs, or bartending)

but my performance was still affected by alcohol, hung over, half ass, not thinking clearly, take off early etc

got a sponsor tonight.

he's a bit rough around the edges, but so am i at times. fucking excited beyond belief. he lives close by, his girl is in the program too. he's seen a lot. i'm sure i have a lot to learn from him. tonight's meeting was good. i like when the OGs address the younger folks with advice. some of it is so on point it's ridiculous.

didnt read any of the other posts in the thread did you?

got a sponsor tonight.

he's a bit rough around the edges, but so am i at times. fucking excited beyond belief. he lives close by, his girl is in the program too. he's seen a lot. i'm sure i have a lot to learn from him. tonight's meeting was good. i like when the OGs address the younger folks with advice. some of it is so on point it's ridiculous.

props

if you work with a sponsor your chance to succeed is far greater

i can tell by your more recent posts that you want it, hoping the best for you poz

btw if you ever got any questions about stuff regarding AA or you feel hesitant on things feel free to PM me homey

thanks dude.

you've definitely been a huge factor in pushing me toward the program. i know it's corny to let internet and real life mix, but i think this thread and topic as a whole is a big exception.

as i said before, everything everyone has said in here is appreciated.

I fucked up again, big time, so disappointed in my myself. I have also successfully knocked myself back into a position where when I stop ill be hella sick. Out of subs, no identification card to check into inpatient detox, this weeks gonna be hell. So fucking upset and stressed out right now. Never give up homies, this shit is a constant struggle.

EXCERCISE TILL YOUR'E EXAUSTED.

GET FOOD.

WATCH GOOD TV/MOVIES.

HOBBIES?

DON'T ISOLATE YOURSELF.

KEEP READING OTHERS OPINIONS.

DON'T SHUT OUT YOUR FAMILY.

I'm past 90 days clean, I rarely think about heroin anymore. But what's amazing is on Sunday night I got to be the speaker at a meeting and it was such an amazing experience getting to share how far I've come since the death of my best friend (even though when I got to that part in my story I choked up really bad and had to stop for a minute). And after the meeting a kid came up to me, said that what I said made him realize how important getting sober is and how important working a good program is. So now I have a fucking sponsee! It feels SO GOOD to get to pass the message on the way my sponsor did for me. This is such an amazing thing, much love to all my people saving their own lives and those of others.

• Like 2

serious question: have any of you been involved in an intervention?

a really good friend of mine has fallen off hard after his divorce. dude can't hold a job, has been homeless on and off and most recently lost the use of his left arm because he hit a nerve shooting up. i've let him crash at my place but it's hella hard to watch him deteriorate like this. when he's sober, he's one of the coolest and most talented motherfuckers i know. i want to help, but when i talk to him one on one, he just downplays what's going on despite how bad it's become. i think if he could see how his addiction has effected all of the people that care about him it might be a wake-up call to get the help he needs. maybe i'm wrong, who knows? any advice is appreciated.

*crackalackin congrats bro, good to hear that*

public...

the only time i have ever seen pressure from others work to get people sober is when they are already willing to get sober and just need a push in the right direction.

no doubt a serious sit down with your boy will help everyone to get on the same page, but don't get your hopes set on changing him overnight or even at all.

sucks to say this, but letting him crash at your spot might actually be hurting him more than it helps....sometimes folks need to hit the bottom.

good luck man, ill say a prayer for your buddy.

thanks ralphy, i appreciate that.

we've had serious talks about what's happening but they just don't work. they seem to be a bit of a wake-up call, but if losing the function of your left arm, your job, wife and kids isn't bottom, i don't know what is. i know from experience that you have to want to change, but it's hard to sit back and wait until he's ready.

I was around a dude that was on the show intervention before and while they were filming for it. My opinion of the guy before and during the filming was pretty negative and I thought he was too far gone to be helped (looking back on this, it was a pretty stupid outlook on my part). To my surprise, the intervention really helped bring out the core issues of his reasons for using, addressed them and helped him get clean. I know that is not a typical intervention but it has stuck with me how much it helped this particular person who I always thought of as a lost cause.

Also, after a heavy night of drinking and sleeping in an office chair, I woke up with nerve damage in my right arm and lost all function. Nerve damage is crazy because their is no way to tell if or when you will regain function. It was a really scary experience but did not stop me from drinking more. I know that it is not exactly the same situation but I just want to reiterate that nerve damage is no joke. Supposedly, various vitamin B supplements help the nerves recover. My function finally returned after 3 long weeks, hopefully your friends returns soon. Bets of luck to him.

I haven't had a drink since Sunday night but have been drinking NA beer. It has helped but I think it might be causing me to avoid getting over the compulsive behavior that is at the core of my problem. But I sure feel great in the morning and during the day with out having to make any pit-stops to any bars.

i nursed NA beers for a long time when i first got sober, it helped me from feeling issolated at bbqs or bars etc.

public

remember that our drinking and using is only a symptom of the issue, that is why to only address the symptom often does not help.

CHEWING-TABACCO GOT ME THROUGH THE SHAKEY TIMES.

CONGRADULATION TO EVERYONE FEELING SUCCESS!

IT's AN ENDLESS PRIZE BY THE WAY.

OUR SOBER WEEKEND IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER.

LET's HEAR HOW SOME OF YOU COPE WITH MAKING PLANS FOR THE WEEKEND.

on a similar note i have had to pretty much had to cut off my own brother because of his continued drinking. he has a 5 yro he does not care for, my parents do. he has been sent twice to rehab, done the AA program (never doing the steps) and failed 6 times, been in jail, hospitals due to fighting while drunk, car repo, lost jobs etc...

all this and he continues to drink. i had to tell him i can no longer be a part of his life

while he is using, by helping him i am enabling him to not help himself.

dont get it twisted, if he asks to go to a meeting or needs help getting in the right place i am there...but i will not take part otherwise

I went/drove my mother to a couple meetings. Hearing some of their problems with alcohol made me think she didnt even need to be there. Although it was a good experience.