Alcoholism

Step8

Right on sword. and in regard to what fat ralphy said... i was going every night for the first week and a half after i started. i had a pretty intense internal urge to, and the thought of not going made me feel guilty. it definitely helped create something of a foundation when i was freshly sober.

on a tangent note, i've been wondering about the differences between regular groups, and groups catering to a younger crowd. my home group has a decent age range, but i am definitely one of the few younger regulars at this point, with most of the attendees being quite a bit older. to me, it seems like if you stuck with young-adult groups, you'd be missing out on all the pretty crucial advice the OGs have to offer. they've (obviously) seen a lot more in their time, where i feel like aside from being more able to relate, the younger crowd would possess a lot of naivety on much of this.

anyone have any info on these meetings in the Portland area? my searches have turned up nothing, which seems strange considering the amount of young folks in a drinking city...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

usually if they exist, in the directory next to the group in parenthesis it will say "young adults welcome" or something along those lines. it doesnt mean the group will be devoid of all veterans/old timers whom we all know have mega knowledge to drop/experieces to share. I imagine its there as a comfort level for some, and not to discourage younger folks in need of help from attending. IME, these groups have just been a little more diverse age wise, thats all.

i try and hit a young peoples meeting every once in awhile, and usually i stick to meetings that have a good amount of old timers.

in reality, if you have a sponsor and are working with them regularly...than that is where you get most of your program.

the young peoples meeting around here has like 10 people whipping out there phones every 5 minutes and a bunch of young fools who need to prove something.....not to mention the tits, i cant even keep my head straight when im there, i start going into the funkdoobiest mind state where i want to oil up broads and make them eat donuts off my weiner.

im a sick fucker.

variety is the spice of life, i try and get some variety in my meetings.

New thing I am going to do is give a quote from the Big Book every so often,

"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so. ABOVE EVERYTHING, WE ALCOHOLICS MUST BE RID OF THIS SELFISHNESS. WE MUST OR IT KILLS US!"

pg. 62 How it Works

swordfish... once u start to feel somewhat better you should really try to exercise. opiates tell your body to stop creating enorphins and exercise or sex can start to bring your endophins back and make u feel happier. also there's a number of ammino acids that can help. try l-tyrosine and l-lysine.

• Like 1

I went on kind of a toot there for a minute but I'm done for now.

My depression/anxiety hasn't been bothering me...I've been busy lately, meeting awesome people and doing awesome things...I think that keeps me on an even keel more than anything else.

i try and hit a young peoples meeting every once in awhile, and usually i stick to meetings that have a good amount of old timers.

in reality, if you have a sponsor and are working with them regularly...than that is where you get most of your program.

the young peoples meeting around here has like 10 people whipping out there phones every 5 minutes and a bunch of young fools who need to prove something.....not to mention the tits, i cant even keep my head straight when im there, i start going into the funkdoobiest mind state where i want to oil up broads and make them eat donuts off my weiner.

im a sick fucker.

variety is the spice of life, i try and get some variety in my meetings.

My home group is a young peoples meeting. I have been going to it pretty much since its started, 6 or so years ago. There are good number of us that have between 10 and 20yrs clean with solid sobriety and experience with the steps. There are also a good number of people who attend just to get their sheet signed. We have some babes also. Its easy to get distracted with that shit. It was pointed out to me, that when I start getting bitter about it being a shitty meeting, that I have an opportunity to make it less shitty by saying something worthwhile. Especially because its my home group, but with any meeting, if I dont like the way its going, its my responsibility as a member of AA to try and redirect it back onto the message of recovery in hopes that I can help somebody. If I can do that, and still think its a shitty meeting, then I dont have to go back. There are plenty others to choose from. Its been my experience though, that after I speak, my mind is usually in a different place and I am significantly less resentful about it all, and in a much better place to be of use to somebody else. As for the whole donut thing...bahahaha....keep coming. :)

My home group is a young peoples meeting. I have been going to it pretty much since its started, 6 or so years ago. There are good number of us that have between 10 and 20yrs clean with solid sobriety and experience with the steps. There are also a good number of people who attend just to get their sheet signed. We have some babes also. Its easy to get distracted with that shit. It was pointed out to me, that when I start getting bitter about it being a shitty meeting, that I have an opportunity to make it less shitty by saying something worthwhile. Especially because its my home group, but with any meeting, if I dont like the way its going, its my responsibility as a member of AA to try and redirect it back onto the message of recovery in hopes that I can help somebody. If I can do that, and still think its a shitty meeting, then I dont have to go back. There are plenty others to choose from. Its been my experience though, that after I speak, my mind is usually in a different place and I am significantly less resentful about it all, and in a much better place to be of use to somebody else. As for the whole donut thing...bahahaha....keep coming. :)

same thing that my sponsor told me.

it becomes your job to bring the real message of AA into a meeting like that...

doesn't help much with a bunch of kids on facebook in the middle of a meeting.

but you are right 100% in your statement.

Week 2 down. I have to say sleep has been pretty great. I do not miss the waking up every morning at 5 AM with the fear.

what is it about that, i used to wake up at the same time evrynight for days....only when i was drinking. like everynight i would wake up and look at the clock 3:02am for days on end. fucking weird, not sure why

I am really jealous of how comfortable you guys are with this "meetings" shit..i just couldnt ever do it

i got really nauseous at the first 4 or 5 meetings i went to. had to go outside once because i thought i was gonna puke. once you talk to a few folks and realize how humble and respectful everyone is, you get over it. now meetings are one of the only places i feel like i belong. there's hella positive energy in those rooms and it rubs off on you.

what is it about that, i used to wake up at the same time evrynight for days....only when i was drinking. like everynight i would wake up and look at the clock 3:02am for days on end. fucking weird, not sure why

I think it is caused by the alcohol from the night before wearing off. 5:00 AM every night for me, wake up with the worst anxiety, restless leg syndrome with every worry, fear and forgotten responsibility assaulting my mind all at once. Zero inner peace, felt like I was losing my mind.

How did the sponsee take the firing?

I am really enjoying not battling dehydration every single day. Jus sayin, feels great. Also, went to a bar last night with my friend. He was drinking Racer 5's, I was drinking Cranberry soda with lime. Got a bit antsy after an hour and had to bounce early but glad I went.

i had to fire my sponsee last night.

Ive never fired a sponsee before. I probably should have a few times...but my role as a sponsor is doesnt really change if the people im sponsoring arent willing to do the work. I still suggest the same things, I still pick the phone up when they call, bla bla bla. And as a result, im still sober. I dont know, I am a pretty laid back sponsor though...i dont call my sponsees unless i miss a call from them, I give them 'assignments' but there are no real consequences if they dont do them, I just ask how they are coming along with it. I just expect them to be honest with me...and if they arent able to be, then I just dont devote very much effort into the relationship. Ive found that most of them end up relapsing and losing touch anyway. But its important that I stay available regardless.

Ive never fired a sponsee before. I probably should have a few times...but my role as a sponsor is doesnt really change if the people im sponsoring arent willing to do the work. I still suggest the same things, I still pick the phone up when they call, bla bla bla. And as a result, im still sober. I dont know, I am a pretty laid back sponsor though...i dont call my sponsees unless i miss a call from them, I give them 'assignments' but there are no real consequences if they dont do them, I just ask how they are coming along with it. I just expect them to be honest with me...and if they arent able to be, then I just dont devote very much effort into the relationship. Ive found that most of them end up relapsing and losing touch anyway. But its important that I stay available regardless.

last night he attempted to flake on me for the 3rd time checking his 4th step work.

a few weeks back we talked about how he was flaking out...

i told him that the work of the 4th step has to be taken seriously.

so after extending his work deadline an extra week, then giving him a pass and rescheduling because he had a side job, we agreed to meet yesterday after he got off work.

he sends me a text saying he got off a little late, is just sitting down to dinner and he isn't going to make it tonight....

i call dude,

"so whats going on man"

"i just got off late (7:45p), im about to sit down to have dinner..."

"no your not, your going to get in your car and come by my pad like you agreed to, you have put this off 3 times already..."

"no i'm not, im going to eat and relax, i dont want to drive 20 miles...."

"dude you are so full of excuses, im not going to waste my time with someone who is going to be half assed.....find yourself a new sponsor."

that was it.

I called my sponsor and talked to hm about it....he agreed.

i have a wife and kid at home, i cant be getting jerked around by someone who is going to flake constantly.

i have a sponsor who is like, be there at 6am....basically he tells me what to do and i do it.

"willing to go to any lengths"

clearly this guy was not.

its cool, I will find another sponsee.

OMG have you ever taken anyone through all 12?