Alcoholism

Step8

Regarding the anxiety that comes with meetings:

i definitely know how that goes. for the first few meetings, i found myself getting extremely nauseous about halfway through, for no real reason other than my mind was fucking with me. i could feel myself wanting to puke, and the color went out of my hands (and surely my face, too) and i started sweating a bit. one time i had to get up and walk outside, where i told myself it was ok to vomit, but the feeling went away the second i got out.

after a few meetings, once people start to recognize you as a new fixture, the anxiety goes away. i usually say a few things at every meeting, if called upon, although most of it is rambling due to massive caffeine intake. my coherent thoughts translate into nonsense at times, but whatever.

anyway, just give it a few meetings and you'll start to feel hella good about going. you'll look forward to the next one. the walk home is always invigorating as well.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
on a similar note i have had to pretty much had to cut off my own brother because of his continued drinking. he has a 5 yro he does not care for, my parents do. he has been sent twice to rehab, done the AA program (never doing the steps) and failed 6 times, been in jail, hospitals due to fighting while drunk, car repo, lost jobs etc...

all this and he continues to drink. i had to tell him i can no longer be a part of his life

while he is using, by helping him i am enabling him to not help himself.

dont get it twisted, if he asks to go to a meeting or needs help getting in the right place i am there...but i will not take part otherwise

good for you.

when me and my brother are together it's hell for both of us, two drug addicts just selling drugs never really did any good. everytime i tried to stop talkign to him a few months later we'd get back in contact and it'd just be the same thing again. him fucking me over somehow. blehh

Im gonna give the milwaukee group a try. Everyone says its one of the better groups in the city and its only a few blocks from the crib. Went to one meeting there last year with the wifey and everyone seemed very nice and supportive. I think ill try to get my moms to go with me since shes in recovery too, since itll help with the social anxiety I get from being alone in groups of people im unfamiliar with. Good luck in all your roads to recovery folks.

I gotta get myself right and keep it that way this time, and I cant do it alone. Everytime ive successfully kicked I always end up with that "i can just dabble on paydays" mentality that we all know quickly develops into another habit. Fuck that jack, its all or nothing and id prefer the latter. Pray for me fellas, ill return the favor.

The Milwaukee goup is good I use to go when I lived there

I went skating, didn't go out during the nights just watched some TV shows and did simple things at the house that I had been putting off for months because all my free time was spent drinking.

Was around a bunch of people drinking at the skate spot but was not very tempted. One so called homie was trying to get in my face being all like "Have a sip of my 40". Being super persistent/stupid "I'm not gonna leave you alone until you take a sip". Told him "no" a bunch and then told him "I would just leave before taking a sip of his beer if it was that important to him".

I told him I hadn't had a drink in 5 days. He misunderstood me, thinking I said I had been drinking for 5 days. I clarified that I had been sober for 5 days after drinking 5 months straight...After hearing that he just said "Damn" and walked off.

Def. caught me off guard to have this dude try and force me to drink, but it worked out.

that's so weird, i'm usually not tryna share my liquor.

I also was sober all weekend. I hit up the mini ramps and learned a few new tricks. I was so beat afterwords and all my muscles were sore, drinking was the last thing i wanted to do. plus it felt good to get exercise and release natural endorphins. All the halloween parties got cancelled due to snow. So that was that. I am drinking wine tonight, just chilling, working on some projects. not getting crazy.

^Yeah, I have never had that happen to me before that day. Plus it was a 40 of Mickey's, GTFO of here with that shit even if I was drinking. But of course I always keep my drink and smoke covered and don't show up trying to bum off everybody like most of the scum that kick it there. One of my pet peeves is people who don't keep themselves covered, if you want to get high or drunk that's fine but don't ask to hit my beer, joint or cig and I will never ask that of you either.

#wheniwasdrinking

Detox for real tomorrow. Gonna bang four goodbye dimes and hope its the last time I get high. Ive got a really long road ahead of me but im ready. Its kinda scary, but exciting at the same time. I dont really know the first thing about sober life but I imagine the post inpatient detox groups ill be attending will help me learn. Fuck heroin fuck being broke, in prison, selling all your personal belongings, fuck all the people youre forced to mingle with whilst using, fuck needles & abcesses... Fuck being dopesick every day.. All of it. Im done!

• Like 1

In my experience, that "one last goodbye" concept doesn't work.

it's like if you were splitting with a significant other, and you were already apart, then you drove your ass to find them. it's just prolonging the inevitable...

it's a step backwards if you ask me...

good luck homie.

^^ THIS^^ I never did that cause I resented the control shit had over me.

I was angry. If you want it over, end it. Want it over.

I'm not being a dick or un-sympathetic but just stating that you have to make a choice.

Withdrawl is awful, but own it. It IS a relationship, a bad one. Make it your past, today.

I wish you the best man. I been there. It gets a whole lot better.

Its been my experience, that things usually play out the exact way they were meant to. And at any given moment in time, I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

For better or worse.

From the Big Book on page 417, about acceptance

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.

When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, or

situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find

no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as

being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.

Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober ; unless I

accept life on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate

not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what

needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

I know that everyone is scared of the G word, but remember it is what you want it to be.

• Like 1

YA, BEFORE IT STARTS AGAIN-

LET'S NOT WASTE THE NEXT 4 PAGES ON WHAT HIGHER POWER SHOULD BE.

IT's DIFFERENT , AND SHOULD BE DIFFERENT TO EACH OF US.

LAUGH, BUT FRIDAY NIGHT, THE POSITIVE OPINIONS IN THIS THREAD ARE A HIGHER POWER.

WORK YOUR 12 STEPS.

OR,

GO ANOTHER ROUTE, OR USE BITS AND PEICES OF WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT JOURNEY, SAME DESTINATION.

I'LL MEET YOU ALL THERE.

IT's A THIN LINE BETWEEN BEING A PUSH-OVER,

AND BEING TOO PUSHY,

WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE.

AND IT's A LEARNING EXPERIENCE SWIMMING INBETWEEN THEM.

• Like 1

i've been pondering giving up drinking here and there.

i've just noticed how good i feel when i dont and how my friends who dont really drink are all in much better shape in body and mind (though none of them are very social). i hate ruining the next day because i drink too much the night before and sometimes didn't even do anything really that special while drinking. its tough though when you tell yourself "just one beer" before going out because it never happens. you (or at least i) always end up staying out way too late and getting way too wasted. spending too much money, saying/doing stupid things, getting no sleep, being hungover etc.

though i wouldnt say i have a drinking problem. i'd still like to one day do away with it completely one day. seems like every few days there is another persons birthday to celebrate, another show to go to, another friend in from out of town, etc that always results in me going out/getting wasted.

wont lie though. drinking can be awesome.

Def. caught me off guard to have this dude try and force me to drink, but it worked out.

this happens to me constantly. i was notorious for always drinking so people are always trying to force me to drink.

its been 7 weeks and for the most part ive realised theres a lot things that i dont like. i get really down about my generation and how everything revolves around drinking and facebook.