Alcoholism

Step8

I had a really weird experience this past weekend...on Sunday I got super sick (throwing up, turning green, shakes, all that) off of two beers and a shot but ONLY after I was thrust into a somewhat uncomfortable/stressful situation. This was compounded by the fact that I had two appointments the next day that I couldn't miss and I was barely able to walk...fortunately I woke up on time and relatively well enough and made them but it was a close call.

I don't know. If that's the way things are going to be vis a vis drinking then I'm just not going to be able to do it until I can manage whatever else is bothering me.

Plus I've got a friend/housemate who is trying to drown his problems in booze and watching him do it is somewhere between positive reinforcement (to not drink) and heartbreaking.

So. Double not fun. But that's life.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
so.. apparently the effects of alcohol have a long-lasting, possibly permanent, detrimental effect on the brain, especially stuff like coordination

http://news.yahoo.com/heavy-drinking-may-leave-tipsy-years-172602315.html

12 step programs give people superiority complexes.. as though one deserves some kinda fucking special treatment for getting addicted and getting sober. get over yourself drinky.

I heard one guy say "I am better than you because I make better decisions than you".

• Like 1

Life/coping skills....it's not just about quitting drinking or drugging, that's just a symptom of a deeper issue. If I didn't learn or pick up the tools to deal with life on life's terms in the program like a lot of people I'd be dead or in jail. Being a productive member of society is the goal, peace from with in.

anyone in here ever sponsored someone before, my sponsor is being a dick because i have not found a sponsee yet.

i had a dude i know lined up but he flaked on the first 3 meetings i was going to take him to, he said he was serious but actions speak louder and i told him to call me when he gets serious about getting help.

service/sponsorship is the only thing that I have had trouble doing...

I have 3 sponsees and have been sober for more than 11 years. If/when I get asked to sponsor somebody, what I do, right off the bat, is ask them if they 'are willing to go to any lengths to stay sober.' (as it says in How it works..."if you are willing to go to any lengths, then you are ready to take certain steps...") If they say yes, I explain to them that I am not going to as them to do anything retarded, simply things that I have done per suggestion of my sponsor,, or stuff that I am willing to do. I give them a 1 week trial period, where I as them to get to a meeting everyday, to call me everyday, and to pray everyday. Most people, dont complete this...if that is the case, I tell them that Im willing to keep in touch with them and help where I can, but if they arent serious about their recovery, I wont be either, and they might want to look for somebody else. If they do complete this 'willingness test' we set a time to meet and go over our expectations of each other. What he wants in a sponsor/what I expect of a sponsee. I was always told that a sponsor is simply somebody to guide me through the steps. Not a therapist, relationship counselor, or financial advisor. My main goal when presented with any kind of sponsee issue, is to giude them back to the steps with it. Thats what was done for me..thats all I have. My own advice can be very harmful. I could go on for way longer than this,, but as is, I am already going to be late for work. PM me if you'd like. Id be more than happy to help if i can.

• Like 1

I heard one guy say "I am better than you because I make better decisions than you".

talk about living in a delusion of superiority

so you never again had the desire to drink, you do not have any obsession with alcohol?

once in awhile i'll think about drinking.. not exactly like really wanting a drink, but it's always when i'm having a horrible day, and i can make that connection so simply that i just don't do it. it was made a lot easier by the fact that i lived with an alcoholic who destroyed his future...watching that person that i loved spiral downward like that turned me off of alcohol, and cigarettes... he was a chain smoker.

i did continue to drink after our relationship imploded, but instead of drinking most days it became super heavy drinking on more infrequent occasions. i had a really bad night one time when i was around 27 or 28, ended up in the ER courtesy of the cops.. so after about a decade of hard drinking (rum was my fave) that sealed the deal.. i knew i'd found the bottom of the bottle, and it wasn't hard at all to just stop.. i have no lingering desire to drink.

all that said... i used to use heroin, stopping that was easy too. but i do smoke pot still, i'm not sober. it has gotten much easier to be sober though, i'm no longer in distress if i don't have weeds 24/7

• Like 1

yeah, i feel like if my connections dried up i'd just stop rather than freaking out (which i definitely would have done even a couple years ago..) now it's almost more out of habit than anything

i'm also getting sick and tired of relying on something

i love that feeling of being totally in control and independent, and now that i'm doing well and with no real responsibility (like kids) besides a job (which i have to have to stay sane anyway) and a mortgage (which was actually way less commitment than i was expecting) i'm ready to spend my money on some awesome shit like the trans-siberian railway

i'm just growing out of it, like i did all that shit. the hard drugs were always too fucking hard anyway, i'm not into living life in a fog anymore.

i wanted that numbness at one time though, and alcohol is so dangerous and detrimental to those who love it because it's so readily available and i feel that unlike a drug like pot (which will just put you to sleep after awhile) ..alcohol will get you more and more wasted the more you do. for me that makes it a 'hard' drug. it's just funny to me most people don't really see it like that

So I spent the past couple days in SF catching up with friends, and found out that half of my friends are dealing with varying degrees of anxiety too. Problem is, I don't know how I feel about this. I definitely don't have the same lifestyle as a lot of my friends, I'm fairly moderate when it comes to partying as of late (they either drink a lot or not at all) and several of them are on medication to deal with it, which is a point I haven't come to yet and hopefully won't have to. I should add that I wasn't looking for answers so much as a little validation.

I feel like I'm not talking about my issues with drinking enough in this thread but for me my mental state and getting fucked up are pretty closely linked. I'm sure some of you can identify with that.

i am naturally anxious and unlike a lot of people, pot helps relieve it.

alcohol never did that

my brain is weird though. cocaine doesn't do shit to me for example and ecstasy makes me sad.

alcohol just lowered my inhibitions to a dangerous level, as a naturally self-destructive person getting drunk is like a perfect storm of personal disaster

i am naturally anxious and unlike a lot of people, pot helps relieve it.

alcohol never did that

my brain is weird though. cocaine doesn't do shit to me for example and ecstasy makes me sad.

alcohol just lowered my inhibitions to a dangerous level, as a naturally self-destructive person getting drunk is like a perfect storm of personal disaster

Except for the pot (which makes me paranoid) you just described where I'm at to a T.

I've always been somewhat stressed to some degree...even when things are going well I'm usually just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Party drugs are a waste of time, I get none of the good effects and more often than not wind up feeling shitty after partaking in them. About the only thing that works for me are heavy-duty opiates, but that invariably leads nowhere besides me deciding that after a few months being strung out sucks.

I wish I was one of those people who can turn off their brains at will. At any given time I've got a million things racing through my mind...and it's not all bad stuff, it's the volume that overwhelms me.

For me drinking makes being social a good deal easier, the catch being that it doesn't end there. I'm getting better at managing it but it's not really a solution I feel comfortable with.

For me drinking makes being social a good deal easier, the catch being that it doesn't end there. I'm getting better at managing it but it's not really a solution I feel comfortable with.

Drinking definitely makes it a lot easier to socialize for sure. At the same time, it always annoyed me when someone who's doing the same manages to converse with me. Nigga, if I'm giving you the hint that I don't want to talk to you, walk away and don't try to continue a dead conversation with random statements/questions during that "awkward silence" moment. FUCKING ARGH!

Wtf? How good was the cut of cocaine for you to not feel anything? Haha. Shit makes me paranoid after a while, but that's just one of the many side effects. I've never tried ecstasy since I've only dabbled with MDMA and I was usually happy on it. Everyone I know who has done the former always tell me the crash is horrendous yet they still nom on that shit.

It seems like some of you have stress/anxiety issues and resort to substances to alleviate you of the building stress. I hope you all find a way to manage it. Sometimes I get like that and have to take Xanax, opiates, pot, etc. to calm myself down too. I'm just glad I'm able to keep my "bad" habits in check...with the exception of cough syrup. I love that shit too much. If I don't feel like taking anything, I just hit pause, lie down, relax then think about random shit like breakdancing or embarrassing moments I got myself into. The latter usually does the trick. Okay, enough of the derail.

I had a bloody nose in the morning for two consecutive days last month. I looked up the symptoms and found out it's because my liver was lacking protein to create bludclawttts. It doesn't help that I have hepatitis B either. The page that listed the symptom was for cirrhosis of the liver. Cirrhosis of the liver. Fuck. I figured, it was okay to drink from time to time since I have medication to help with my hepatitis, but I obviously got a little too carefree. Ever since that scare, I decided to completely stop drinking. The switch in my head would turn on every time I see someone with a drink on TV. It made me think, "damn...that shit looks mighty fucking refreshing". It's only been a month, but I managed to not give a shit about it (alcohol) anymore. I had to have something like that to put me in line 100%. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone can do it. After all, it's mind over matter. Be thankful none of you have hepatitis B.

I'll maybe give a fuck, but no more.

I wish I was one of those people who can turn off their brains at will. At any given time I've got a million things racing through my mind...and it's not all bad stuff, it's the volume that overwhelms me.

It's more about achieving focus, and it takes practice, but you too can do it young grasshopper.

hahaha to be honest bro, the reason i am active in this thread is i want to help folks who are in the places that i have been because of alcoholism.

i am not too concerned about the opinion of some strange online.....

no need to justify anything to you. i neg'd you....you got umad. its the fucking internet bro.......its not important.

• Like 1

but you too can do it young grasshopper.

I'm almost 38 and believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING. It's been this way for as long as I can remember...focus has never come easy.

At the same time I'm one of those people who thinks that I should be feeling what I'm feeling. And for me, 99.9% of the time drinking and getting high are only moderating factors, they don't blank everything out.

hahaha to be honest bro, the reason i am active in this thread is i want to help folks who are in the places that i have been because of alcoholism.

i am not too concerned about the opinion of some strange online.....

no need to justify anything to you. i neg'd you....you got umad. its the fucking internet bro.......its not important.