Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

as addicts we want everything now!..

i think any stats that a/na collect are utterly fucked. would you trust a bunch of drug addicts to tell you if their 'clean?' ha. on my '60th' day, i got up in front of those silly hicks and claimed to be clean for 60 days.. and they all applauded!

i mean what is the basis....if it is that the person quits once and never again has a drink then i would not be surprised at a 10% success rate.

there are tons of heads who use AA as a crutch and get like 2 or 3 months then drink or get a year and then drink and then come back etc etc.

EDIT: I just googled "percentage of people who stay sober using AA" and there are so many conflicting sources that come up it is ridiculous. One site actually claimed .01 percent.....

I would like to see a reputable study though, it is an interesting question.

Also are these people who just went to a couple meetings or people who dove into the program full bore as advised....sponsor, steps etc. Not looking for an answer, just things to consider.

Mark Twain said it best...."Lies, damn lies and statistics."

Also, what exactly defines "sobriety" is very subjective. Almost every recovering alcoholic I know smokes weed, so if that's all they do and they can manage it well more power to them. But if you're a stickler for details, they aren't sober.

so.. apparently the effects of alcohol have a long-lasting, possibly permanent, detrimental effect on the brain, especially stuff like coordination

http://news.yahoo.com/heavy-drinking-may-leave-tipsy-years-172602315.html

12 step programs give people superiority complexes.. as though one deserves some kinda fucking special treatment for getting addicted and getting sober. get over yourself drinky.

• Like 1

12 step programs give people superiority complexes.. as though one deserves some kinda fucking special treatment for getting addicted and getting sober. get over yourself drinky.

I DID THE 12 STEPS THE 3rd TIME I TRIED TO QUIT,

DIDN'T GET ANY OF WHAT YOUR SAYIN'.

IF ANYTHING, THE MAIN THING WAS I LEARNED BY FINALLY WANTING TO DO IT FOR MYSELF TO LIVE A BETTER LIFE AND LONGER.,THEN IT WORKED.

TRIED IT SEVERAL TIMES TO KEEP CHICKS/JOBS IN MY LIFE ETC,,,THAT WILL NEVER WORK.

THE GREATEST FEELING IS WHEN YOU NOTICE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS CLEARING UP AND YOU START TO STACK PAPER, GET PROMOTIONS AT WORK AND ON AND ON.

PEACE-

• Like 1

Yeah,

I'm not gonna get into the argument that's going on in here right now.

anyway, obviously i've been fucking up a bit since i moved, sobriety-wise.

caved in this past weekend because i was hanging out with females, floating the river. Woke up in a strange apartment, still drunk. went to my boys house at about 11 am with a 12pack. drank all day, that and plenty more. all the way though Monday, when my boy and his girl confronted me about it. It sucked. I only kept drinking to keep the anxiety and depression away... the anxiety depression that only comes around when i'm hungover. fucking stupid. i could barely function, even by mid day wednesday at work. thursday was better, and finally, today, i'm feeling good again. Between some solid shifts at work this week and putting in work at finding an apartment, i'm feeling decent about where i am at, and where i will go with it from here. i'm to the point where i cannot fuck up. my grace period of arriving to PDX is over and it's do or die.

this all really sucks, as you already know. i'm doing my best. trying to find a younger meeting group to go to out here. i think it would be good for me. in the mean time, my homies are all being very supportive, as usual. i'm lucky i have some good friends.

IF ANYTHING, THE MAIN THING WAS I LEARNED BY FINALLY WANTING TO DO IT FOR MYSELF TO LIVE A BETTER LIFE AND LONGER.,THEN IT WORKED.

TRIED IT SEVERAL TIMES TO KEEP CHICKS/JOBS IN MY LIFE ETC,,,THAT WILL NEVER WORK.

THE GREATEST FEELING IS WHEN YOU NOTICE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS CLEARING UP AND YOU START TO STACK PAPER, GET PROMOTIONS AT WORK AND ON AND ON.

PEACE-

most of the guest speakers we had in 'hab straight up said that all these institutions and shit didn't do anything for them until they took it upon themselves to work the steps......

it's just another way to make money

F R,

I would imagine. It definitely tends to helping any potential alcoholics get to the point where they need help. and it's a young city, too. i don't know. My friend, with whom i'm staying, lives with his girlfriend who's studying for her doctorates at a natural medicine school out here. needless to say, she's learned a fair bit about alcohol and she definitely sees what's going on with me as a sign of something bad to come if nothing is done about it. She's filled me in on what she's learned (although she's only recently took on the post-grad work), albeit that it is very general for the most part. I feel good today though, more than a week after the drinking began.

Okay.

This is what i've noted during the past week while sobering up and beginning to function normally again.

When i'm drinking, my motivation comes to a complete halt. I do not give a fuck about anything, and i don't make an effort toward any sort of goal outside of maintaining a drunken stupor. At this point in my life, this exact time... specifically this month... that shit is NOT going to cut it. This is a time during which i need to be on POINT with everything.

That said; I've not drank for a week tomorrow. It took a few days for my body to eject all the bullshit i put into it (as i mentioned in a previous post). Since returning to pretty much normal, I've begun to weigh out my priorities as far as work... figuring out what i need to do to get things going down the right path. I had a meeting with my co-workers on Friday regarding the future of the company i'm working for and it's looking great. The desire to continue to be a part of this operation, and to watch it grow, is enough to keep me doing what i have to do; not drinking. Needless to say, i am absolutely stoked on the way things are unfolding there.

On top of the career situation, i've been on the hunt for a place to call home. Until this past Thursday, i had made nearly zero progress in regard to this issue. Granted, there wasn't much to be done about it for the first three weeks i was here, I was still slacking... completely. Since Thursday i've been firing emails to nearly every reasonable posting on craigslist. I've met with several people/houses/apartments/etc, all of whom had had multiple inquiries into their available rental. All of them offered me the place. I've always interviewed extremely well, but this came a surprise to me. finding a place felt hopeless to me while i had been binge drinking. This was yet another reality check that helped me realize how badly alcohol has impaired my ability to function.

Early this morning, riding the bus for the better part of an hour on the way to check out an apartment, i felt truly good about myself. i felt worthy of existence, and my usual negativity had, for the most part, disappeared. It was fucking liberating. I want that feeling to stick around. It completely eclipses anything alcohol has ever brought me.

TL;DR?

Oh well, i wrote for those semi-interested in the topic of alcoholism. This is just a taste of everything there is to say about what i've been going through.

Thanks to those of you who did read it, though.

Bedtime... work tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

anyone in here ever sponsored someone before, my sponsor is being a dick because i have not found a sponsee yet.

i had a dude i know lined up but he flaked on the first 3 meetings i was going to take him to, he said he was serious but actions speak louder and i told him to call me when he gets serious about getting help.

service/sponsorship is the only thing that I have had trouble doing...

also last night i went to a meeting that had 3 young girls like 7 - 8 years old.

one of their moms got up and started saying on group level that her daughter had been basically sexually molested the night before and she wanted to kill the girls father who had done it and on and on....

i dont think i would bring my son to a meeting, maybe when he is early teens and can understand it. I remember growing up in meetings that my pops brought me to, hearing crazy stories....eating like 10 sugar cubes from the coffee table (early addiction to the fullest). just rambling, wanted to hear opinions...

anyone in here ever sponsored someone before, my sponsor is being a dick because i have not found a sponsee yet.

all in good time. shouldnt be pushing you that much, somebody will eventually want what you have. might take years to get somebody through the twelve steps... the man who took me through had 12 years, and i was the first one who got through all twelve. this guy was active as fuck too. keep doing what your doing and the time will come.

i think that people who want to come into this thread and make statements should also provide qualifiers so we can understand where you are coming from and what is the base of their opinion....

i have had so much experience with alcoholics.. i am one. i just woke up in a hospital one day and put the drink down, end of my story.

i've also been around many addicts. i could fill a book with stories.

[/color][/b]

seriously, that's awesome and good for you. it seems to be the exception though, not the rule..

most of the guest speakers we had in 'hab straight up said that all these institutions and shit didn't do anything for them until they took it upon themselves to work the steps......

it's just another way to make money

the desire always has to come from within, in my experience.. but once that desire begins and grows, not much stands in its way