Alcoholism

Step8

out of all of the 12 steps, the thing that has helped me the most without a doubt is the 4th step:

"Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves."

This helped me to get rid of a bunch of guilt/"im a piece of shit" type attitudes that I had been plagued by. Also I had hella resentments that I worked out...

Secondly, the 9th step:

"Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

Making up for the damage I have done to people has helped me so much, I actually don't feel like a low life anymore.

Okay, I'm not going to make myself out to be the exception to the rule, but...

I have a pretty good idea of who I am and have for some time- 99.9% of what I do when I drink would be what I would do sober. Therefore I don't get caught up in the "Oh shit, I fucked up" remorse trap beyond maybe apologizing for being annoying directly to close friends, but that's part of drinking and everyone knows it. I don't feel bad about talking loud and catching tags in stupid places, I was having a good time and not making a secret of it.

Paradoxically, something I've had a serious problem with is other people's accountability....they just write off their shitty behavior to drinking and don't bother examining what might actually be causing it.

This might sound contradictory but we've never drank together...I'm a pretty happy drunk. High-spirited at times, but never a complete train wreck/social liability.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

alcohol and drugs affect everybody differently. see when i would take like 14 mg of xanax i am deffinatley not going to act like myself, nor am i going to act like myself after 10 beers. it just doesnt work that way for me. i may have read your statement incorrectly so you can always call me out if you feel so.

• Like 1

...I'm a pretty happy drunk. High-spirited at times, but never a complete train wreck/social liability.

Same here...i hate when others im with become a social liability (props for that term) and make a good night potentially unpleasant. I hate having to tell a chick i meet like "yeah thats my boy, sorry"

Drinking to have fun > drinking to become an embarassing slob . Everytime

whats you guys's opinion about writing in relation to the 8th and 9th step? like, how would you go about making your amends to people's shit you wrote on, when you know you're just gonna have to make more

Good question...I do that a lot less than I used to and I don't do it like I used to but maybe I could chalk it up to "special cases" or something.

Ugene, Swif, Ralphy. Thanks for the support guys.

I have been to a few meetings, have found some things helpful, but overall did not motivate to want to stop. Went to younger meetings, but it wasn't really like a forum where people could share, you just listen to speakers. Plus I got distracted by the girls there. I found the support of friends and some other things much more helpful.

isnt aa anonymous? isn't the fact that when your in active addiction it's 'not you, it's the drugs.' so if your going to use that arguement, why shuold i make amends to people when it wasn't 'really me,' as i found they love to preach in the rooms...

when i was in a 1/2 way house after rehab, we went to these meetings in suburban philly. me being a little white kid from teh nyc suburbs, i felt like i was surrounded by a bunch of hicks. then they were saying that we all have an addiction problem! in my head all i could think is that, no not really, not everyone here is addicted to drugs or alcohol. not everyone needs a support group, not everyone can never drink or smoke a joint again.

then they'd all go out and smoke their cigarettes. one time i bruoght up that, and someone answered me saying "well, no one has ever had to kill or rob anyone for cigarettes!" you never know though.. and addiction is addiction right?

i guess i'm too young to understand! but it has affected me to the point where i packed up and bounced to another country, otherwise i don't think i would've been able to stop as long i was in nyc

the anonymous thing pertains to folks being put out on front street about being in the program,

like if you saw your boss there you would respect his anonymity and not pull his card at work.

even shit we do during our drinking/using we are accountable for.

Sleaze....i too get distracted by birds at meetings, they also tend to say some dumb shit too...my sponsor reccommended i go to mostly mens meetings. NH.

For all you folks just scratching the surface of AA, if you hear someone speak that you have similarities with....or you hear someone who has a way with words and some time, talk to them, see if they will sponsor you. I know its awkward at first but AA is one of the more welcoming communities I have found. You may find a millionaire chopping it up with a guy who used to be homeless, more often then not folks in AA arent gonna judge cuz we all been in the same places.

isnt aa anonymous? isn't the fact that when your in active addiction it's 'not you, it's the drugs.' so if your going to use that arguement, why shuold i make amends to people when it wasn't 'really me,' as i found they love to preach in the rooms...

when i was in a 1/2 way house after rehab, we went to these meetings in suburban philly. me being a little white kid from teh nyc suburbs, i felt like i was surrounded by a bunch of hicks. then they were saying that we all have an addiction problem! in my head all i could think is that, no not really, not everyone here is addicted to drugs or alcohol. not everyone needs a support group, not everyone can never drink or smoke a joint again.

then they'd all go out and smoke their cigarettes. one time i bruoght up that, and someone answered me saying "well, no one has ever had to kill or rob anyone for cigarettes!" you never know though.. and addiction is addiction right?

i guess i'm too young to understand! but it has affected me to the point where i packed up and bounced to another country, otherwise i don't think i would've been able to stop as long i was in nyc

im not sure if you are necessarily saying you arent an addict, but if you did enough drugs to go to rehab and live in a sober house, im sure your "addiction" is much worse than somebody elses

I think you're on the right track but that's strictly my opinion based on how I feel. I definitely think some people shouldn't drink or do drugs because it just doesn't work out for them, but it's on them to come to that conclusion...recently I was telling a friend who has some pretty serious substance abuse issues that help is out there and I'd support them if they took that route but that they were going to have to come around to where they decided that was the solution.

There's that one episode of the Simpsons where Barney quits drinking and at the end he's pounding extra-large mochas from Starbucks. I laughed at that because it was totally spot on.

I moved to get away from heroin one time. It worked...sort of. I went where I thought it wasn't readily available, and it's not, but eventually it found me and I dabbled till I realized it wasn't going to turn out any different than any other time I got caught up in that mess.

that's the point i was making! all they do is switch one addiction for another, be it meetings, food, nicotine (ah, smoking) or coffee. it's all the same shit. there was only two kids that made it to a year from the 20 or so i was in rehab with exactly a year ago. one was in sober living for this whole time (which to me makes it bullshit) and the other did it on his own for the majority of the past year (whether he admits to him doing it alone is up to him, i say he did). kid in sober living never got arrested, was in college, and more than likely just liked to fuck around. other kid had his college degree, and drank all the time, got into accidents, duis, his dad died while he just started his recovery out of rehab.

do you see where i'm going with this? i feel like it's just another scare tactic.

did that make any sense?

I found and posted it before. On this site. I really don't feel like digging for it right now. but i will later.

You actually think it's higher or what? Next time you go to class look around and honestly judge which ones will be relapsing.

EDIT: I know that on that Penn and Teller show Bullshit, they actually quote that stat too. Im sure you can find the episode online and it'll say where it's at.

i mean what is the basis....if it is that the person quits once and never again has a drink then i would not be surprised at a 10% success rate.

there are tons of heads who use AA as a crutch and get like 2 or 3 months then drink or get a year and then drink and then come back etc etc.

EDIT: I just googled "percentage of people who stay sober using AA" and there are so many conflicting sources that come up it is ridiculous. One site actually claimed .01 percent.....

I would like to see a reputable study though, it is an interesting question.

Also are these people who just went to a couple meetings or people who dove into the program full bore as advised....sponsor, steps etc. Not looking for an answer, just things to consider.

hahaha no shit, but I am saying is that a dude who went into one meeting, didnt like it and went back to drinking.

or is that someone that completed the 12 steps and then went back to drinking.

There are varying degrees of peoples activity in AA, but there is only one suggested method that is "backed" by AA, to get a sponsor and work the 12 steps.....if that is not what is being done in anyones program then they are not truly practicing in AA.

right foot forward, step to recovery, left foot back for all the shit we're going to leave on this fucking mountain! g-d, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

it works if you work it, so work it your worth it your so fucking worth it!