Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don’t think I’ve ever checked in on this thread. I was never a steady drinker. I would binge drink hard. I got to the point where I would wear a helmet to the bar and MFers knew I was ready to get fucked up. Anywho, I had the realization that a lot of the people I was hanging out with at the time viewed me more as entertainment than as a friend. I met my old lady when I was 26 and she was like “Hey, you’re kind of a piece of shit when you’re drunk.” And that began my road to sobriety. I stopped drinking completely for about 5 or 6 years. It’s been another 6 or 7 years since and I found out that I can just have 1 or 2 drinks. I haven’t been drunk or suffered a hang over in 13 years now. 

• Props 5

i only drank twice in nearly the two-year period that i am still going strong in. kinda wish i hadn't slipped, but did it in a social setting(music festivals actually..) and drank less than a 6pack on both occasions. that was all during the summer months.

so i am gladly back on track where i prefer to be. life is good sober.

• Like 2
  • Props 2

8 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

so i am gladly back on track where i prefer to be. life is good sober.

This resonates pretty well. The last time I went to a bar/club has been several years ago now. But while I was there, I remained sober and found the entire vibe of the place and the people around me annoying as fuck. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

• 2 weeks later...

gf's dad has been slipping and relapsing for about three months. he came into town last month and had a few cocktails and some oxys for his arthritis pain when the three of us hung out. he knows he shouldn't have any of that but didn't feel bad about it. "i'm not hurting anyone" is what he told me when i confronted him about it in a moment when it was just us two.

he fucked around and OD'd last week. he is alive but his organs are beginning to fail. 

guy is now making right with his family and trying to take his program seriously. it's sad as hell and didn't have to happen. my girl is destroyed over it. 

dad survived a ten year bid, multiple stabbings and being shot by the cops six times. dad's gonna die because he likes oxy.

alcoholism and addiction are the devil. don't let your guard down. it may be the last thing you do 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne
  • Truth 2

this is not to harsh the vibes or whatever. every day sober is a good one, and on the great ones we get to live a fulfilling and principled life. the stakes are high, though. 

i'm interviewing for jobs now and i think about this stuff a lot when it comes to boring hr people asking about "times i've persevered" or whatever. this would be the answer but i gotta make up something else. 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...