Alcoholism

Step8

^^^^^ i am way happier then i ever was when drinking, that is partly due to AA.....after years without, life shows up and that initial zest of new sobriety wears off. but no doubt I am happy and I think that AA has something to do with that.

there is no doubt that you can do it on your own.

other folks, myself included have found AA helpful.

there are things I don't like about AA....one of those things being some people let AA become their entire lives. good and bad with everything...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Why would I do that? But I've seen more peoples life become way shittier after aa. Like... way shittier.and I've noticed that no one in here besides the people who quit on thier own seem happier. Look at poz vs judge mental forsit telling everyone that there is no way you can do it on your own.

I'm not judgmental at all. It's a fact that some people can't do it on their own. And for example, (and not implying anything just an example), if POZ is sober right now on his own then that's good, but who said he's gonna STAY sober for that long? again, a rhetorical question. nothing personal.

Define "bag."

I found out an old friend of mine got killed right before Christmas, and just before that I heard our house might be getting foreclosed on...the combo of which sent me on a slight bender till yesterday.

I don't feel any guilt over this, I stayed in my room and avoided talking to anyone till I felt like it. For some reason I feel that is one of the best courses of action I can take...I don't think making other people miserable on my behalf is reasonable.

I'm back to my usual moderate self. At least till NYE, but I'm just as likely to stay home and avoid falling bullets.

to clear that up, under my old username, yonis, i posted a little in here about my oxy addiction adn going to rehab. i haven't done oxys in 4 months since i moved to paris. obviously now that i've found a consistent person it should be interesting to see how it plays out. obviously i don't want to fall back into another addiction in a different country cause that would just suck. but you know its a slippery slope

• Like 1

there is no one way to do this... to each their own. i can't honestly say that i'd be where i am at without AA, but after a period of time, i realized the majority of the program just isn't for me.

holidays haven't been an issue at all, and new years is not something i'm concerned with.

good luck guys.

lol. Longer than you have with AA. Or do drugs still not count? And who said he HAS to stay sober? He quit on his own, he can start on his own too. As long as he's happy.

Either you're the biggest troll on this board, or you're really ignorant on a lot of subjects. Nobody said he HAS to stay sober, but if he wants to maintain his happiness it's probably better that he did. He didn't get sober because he was content with his life and drinking brought him success. He got sober because his alcoholism got so out of hand that the only thing there was to do was to quit. And when I say "he", that applies to anyone who is sober. Sure, he can start again if he wants, but alcoholism/addiction is just an elevator that is constantly going down. You can get off the elevator whenever you want, but if you get back on it's still going the same direction. I'm guessing you're the type that justifies his addiction with the whole "functioning" addict cop out. If you've been using for X amount of years, why don't you try to be sober for that same amount of time, and at the end of that amount of time see which lifestyle you enjoyed more.

Man that elevator metaphor was horrible. You're like, just too negative man. I see drinking like an elevator going up, i can get off and stop drinking, and tell everyone how much happier i am now that im not drinking while at the same time telling everyone else how they should live their lives, but when i get back on it'll still be going up to fun city.

Get it man? It's all a matter of perspective.

Man that elevator metaphor was horrible. You're like, just too negative man. I see drinking like an elevator going up, i can get off and stop drinking, and tell everyone how much happier i am now that im not drinking while at the same time telling everyone else how they should live their lives, but when i get back on it'll still be going up to fun city.

Horrible metaphor? It's a fucking fact. I've never heard a single person ever say "wow, I'm so glad I'm an alcoholic and drug addict. It's gotten me so far in life, you have no idea! You know, I tried to the whole sober thing but that just put a damper on my productivity which lead to me getting fired, the wife/kids leaving me, and me having no money. BUT, as soon as I started using again, my life did a complete 180 and I'm happier than ever!" You're so narrow minded it's ridiculous. AA doesn't tell you how to live your life. Have you ever been to a meeting? They don't tell you to not drink or do drugs. They don't tell you to do anything. They share their experience and stories with hopes that when you leave the meeting it might help you get through the next day without a drink or drug. I'm not going to lie, it is extremely fun to get wasted and do drugs. In moderation that is. But I also think it's MORE fun to not have to depend on drugs and alcohol to have fun. This isn't rhetorical whatsoever, but do you even think you're an addict? I don't remember seeing what you think, not saying you haven't said it, I just haven't seen it. Also, if you think AA sucks, sobriety is boring, and alcohol and drugs are the way to go, then why even post in here? Haha, and you say I'm negative. Go to the thread where people update us on how they're doing in life and what they have learned from being sober and just bash on their methods of sobriety. We get it, you're thoroughly convinced that AA doesn't work and that it forces God down your throat. Also, you work at a tattoo shop, drink whiskey, do copious amounts of cocaine on the weekend, and OH! Did I mention that you've painted with Kreayshawn?! You're a cool dude, and an oontz homie, but you're just so damn pretentious it makes it hard to take anything you say seriously, because you really are convinced that you're livin' the dream. And, if you stopped using, you'd wake up from the dream. I've had a lot of friends with your kind of thought process, but they were 16 and were usually of the female gender. No, not UMAD, and I don't mean any disrespect to you whatsoever, but somebody has to say something to you. Stop bragging, stop bashing people, and start supporting someone who actually cares enough to get their life in order.

TL;DR: NBB wouldn't have such a bitchin' life if he wasn't an addict.

• Like 1

I think it would be very interesting to see you commit to a 6-12 month stretch of sobriety, including AA meetings, service work, step work, sponsor etc. Because there isn't a doubt in my mind that you wouldn't notice the pros of being sober. There are literally NO CONS of being sober. Not one. God, I fucking LOVED banging black, but I prefer the feeling of waking up in the morning knowing that I don't need to worry about how I'm going to get high and pay all my fronts I got the day before back while also trying to hide my addiction from my family and girlfriend. Maybe you really are just a recreational user and don't have a problem, but if you're not doing shit with your life in your mid 20's (not saying you aren't, I'm saying in general) maybe you should consider putting the drinks down. Go back to school, find a career you're interested in, etc. Mad love for you NH, but I can only deal with so many ignorant, pompous remarks that, for some reason, you feel are necessary to make to hold down your status of the 12oz court jester.

Court jester? LOL. Dude i find it weird that AA people are the worst at taking ANY kind of criticism. It's a fully religious institution. (PERIOD. I don't give a fuck about the door knob bullshit. It was started as a religious institution and they only changed the wording when they started getting government money) It works 10% of the time. The same amount of times it works for someone who wants to do it fully on their own.

Why would I commit to something that works 1 out of 10 times? If i only came 1 out of every 10 times i jacked off, i wouldn't even bother wasting my time on it.

Ignorant is blindly believing something... Im well read and informed on the subject. AKA: Not ignorance.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.

AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Direct from the AA preamble. Free from Sect/denomination means there are no religions that AA backs. Also the fact AA is not allied with any politics etc...implies no governement funding.

Last time government funding was brought up, I asked

some OGs about it, they told me that AA has always been funded by its members.

If you guys want to argue back and forth take it to PM, it derails the thread.

just out of interest what about someone with no belief in a higher power/god whatever?

I don't believe in anything like that whatsoever and hearing people discuss stuff like that is just irritable to me, how does AA work for someone with a belief system that completely disregards higher powers/gods etc?

i think then folks just believe in their own belief system. im not sure really, i know there is an aetheist in one group i go to, sober for 20+ years. im not saying the thig is perfect, just sayin there is no set religion in AA.

and NBB there are some state programs that have AA as a part of them, probation, hospitals etc. There may be some times that AA operates in faciliies that are state funded. or since AA is cash maybe they funnel into some program to pay.....

but i am very sure the gov isnt cutting checks to AA. find some evidence and i will believe it....

can i ask you why you stay in this thread just to shit on AA as a program? is the way other people get or stay sober that much of a concern to you.

These are federal checks. I've seen them. And i've taken them to the bank and put them in our account.

This thread is about what constitutes alcoholism. NOT aa. Several of you guys forced your aa opinion down peoples throats, and im on the other side of that argument.

any thoughts on what constitutes having a drinking problem? i binge drink alot, and find that after three beers i crave more and more, so normally if i know i can only have one beer, i wont even drink it, cuz it will just make me feel like shit. I dont put alcohol ahead of my responsiblities like work or school, and i refuse to drink when the sun is out, unless i'm at like a BBQ or something. But i find myself drinking alot more regularly, out of the past 5 days i drank everyday, and got drunk 4 out of the 5.

yeah you are right about the subject of the thread. it is about alcoholism, i think that the reason folks talk about AA in here is because that is how they have dealt with it.

maybe we should make a separate thread for AA talk. I looked back at the team alco thread awhile back, now there is a thread about what constitutes alcoholism.

Alcoholism to me is like being a junkie, you wake up in the morning and need a fix, you have withdraw symptoms etc.

I don't consider myself to ever have been an alcoholic, however did have a problem with booze in that I drank everyday til I was wasted, but never had withdraw, never affected how I functioned and never drank in the morning (unless it was the weekend) but that was before I had a child so who cares if that is how I behaved no responsibilities no consequences, I used to have hard drugs problems that were completely different.

I just took some time out when my son was born chilled out and stopped drinking for about 6 months. im more a binge drinker.

just out of interest what about someone with no belief in a higher power/god whatever?

I don't believe in anything like that whatsoever and hearing people discuss stuff like that is just irritable to me, how does AA work for someone with a belief system that completely disregards higher powers/gods etc?

i'm a pretty hardlined atheist, and that played a big role in my inability to really get into the AA stuff.

at first, i made a pretty valiant effort to immerse myself, but it just wouldn't take. the particular group i was attending was smallish, which entailed an "our way or the highway" attitude because of their tight-knitted-ness. (although, they would surely deny that if it came up.) included in that was a more traditional adherence to the program.

when the whole "higher power" shit came up, i began to dig for something to fill that blank. i eventually decided to call the positive energy that i felt in the rooms, my higher power. wow, fucking ZEN AS FUCK, right? even the whole "positive vibes" shit was pushing the envelope as far as that stuff goes, but it was a lot more tangible than god.

after a few meetings where folks would spout off some dumb shit about the steps not working unless you followed them exactly, and other mentions of fucking god and all that, i began to develop a distaste for some of the ideals being thrown around. immediately i started noticing the starry-eyed look in some of their eyes and couldn't help but relate it to the same lunatics who fall all over themselves about Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. all of these people were genuine, kind, friendly folks, but they were also of the same breed that needs religion. that was when my meeting attendance ended.

what it took to get me sober and on a good path to maintain sobriety was a solid understanding of what exactly it was that i was dealing with. not from a whitecoat, because it had been explained to some degree from several of those, but from someone who had been through it. this is where AA helped. hearing stories from many types of people about the array of emotions that comes with drinking was clutch. it's like, 'wow, all the different people are describing the exact same thing i've been through... and they have something of a solution to end it'.

through that phase of meetings, i learned things that were very important in helping me understand what i needed to do. the progressive nature of alcoholism (the fact that it gets worse or stays the same, but never gets better), the fact that i'm not special in my experiences, and that there are lots of people out there who have put an end to it... these are among the learned things. i could have found them elsewhere i suppose, but AA seems to run something of a monopoly, in that it is the go-to solution for people witch alcohol problems, no matter what their background is. that, in turn, means an influx of varied folks, thus the religious undertones are subdued to some degree, allowing us atheists to feel a little less left out.

now i've surrounded myself with people who know the deal with my drinking, and who support me to the fullest, and i've got more sober time than ever under my belt.

probably could have gotten here without AA, but it was the most accessible means of support when i had none.

definitely do not need god or the 12 steps to keep my head in a good place, but i'm not gonna hate on those who do. this shit is tough, and whatever it takes for someone to get sober is fine by me. i will always think Christianity is wack for a lot of reasons, but when it opens doors for people to be genuinely better, i can't bash too hard.

/ramble