Alcoholism

Step8

what morton says is true...

but forsit does have some truth to what he says also.

i guess it depends on the person and the extremity of there addiction.

i know if i stopped going to meetings I wouldnt drink right away.....but i know that my mind always tells me to drink and that after awhile i would probably give in without the structure that AA gives me.

on the other hand I have a homey who has not had a drink in 9 years, and he doesnt do AA.

he may have initially, but he has been flyin solo for years without a problem.

there is only one real answer if you are trying to stay sober, "dont drink."

on a side note, my sponsor and i have the same tattoo, severed hand with some exalted lions.

out of everyone who could end up my sponsor in all of AA, after firing one sponsor....this is who I end up with. what are the odds of that? there are little things like that they make me feel like there are "signs" that i should be where I am.

another time, I hear from a friend that my younger brother 28yro is getting my 16yro brother high. marijuana basically derailed my entire highschool/college experience, so i was a little pissed that dude was getting the kid high (keep in mind that the kid already gets low C's and D's across the board). so im thinking of calling my bro (28yro) on his shit, and i am wondering if i should inform my pops of whats going on....

im not one to snitch on folks and i was thinking that no matter what happens i cant shelter my youngest bro anyway. so i am thinking shit over, basically trying to get a sign/idea as to what i should do.....

i drive up to the local reservoir, a spot i used to always get loaded at.... 15 miles from my house middle of the day, noon on a wednesday. No shit, my pops is there in his work van. He said he was doing a job in the area and he went up there on his lunch (probably to burn one and have a drink but thats another story). point is, he says to me that he thinks my youngest bro has been getting high and that my other brother is a bad influence on him etc.

fucking crazy that something like would play out like that.

numerous times i am in a meeting and i hear something that is exactly what i need to hear.

maybe ive been "brainwashed by the cult" but there are tons of things that have happened involving AA and my sobriety to keep me coming back.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Been about 8 weeks for me. Still having ups and downs but overall feeling much better than I had been. Still crave beer pretty much everyday but it doesn't feel as impossible to not have one.

Flaked on a good friend's graduation party on Friday because I didn't feel like I could be around the bar with the sort of atmosphere I expected. Later heard my homie was pouring shots in peoples mouths out of the bottle, so I think I made the right decision. Still feel like a dick for flaking on an important celebration.

Been about 8 weeks for me. Still having ups and downs but overall feeling much better than I had been. Still crave beer pretty much everyday but it doesn't feel as impossible to not have one.

Flaked on a good friend's graduation party on Friday because I didn't feel like I could be around the bar with the sort of atmosphere I expected. Later heard my homie was pouring shots in peoples mouths out of the bottle, so I think I made the right decision. Still feel like a dick for flaking on an important celebration.

if you flaked to go get chemo, would anyone be mad at ya'?

don't feel bad, homie, you're dealing with some shit that should take priority over just about everything.

---

things keep getting better.

driving out to the Oregon coast on Friday afternoon to spend the night at girly's beach house...

then doing the same early next week, this time with friends.

life is just killing it...

keep it up, folks.

thats good homey^^^^

supposedly my younger brother has a couple weeks, i already notice big improvements in his interacting with family etc.

i really hope he does it this time, it is hard for me to know that alcoholism can be sucessfully beat and then watch him struggle and fuck up. like i told him, as long as he is sober i will help him out as best as i can.

LET's START HEARING POSSIBLE NEW-YEARS PLANS.

DEFINATELY SOMETHING TO GET DEFENSES READY FOR.

Good good question. Plan for now is i'm gonna try christmas this weekend with my family full of drunks and see how that goes. If thats not bad then I might be able to stop into a house party or somethin. There's no way in hell i'll subject myself to a NYE bar or club ... even when i drank i wouldnt.

if this weekend goes poorly i'll be by my lonesome for NYE ... maybe do some sketches and look up jobs.

It looks like the way you're trying to get sober just isn't working for you. Consider daily meetings (90 in 90) and getting a sponsor.

From a newbie perspective... i see 90-in-90 and get scared as fuck. I know I don't really have the time for that even if every meeting was easily accessible for me.

I think a lot of people fuck up, we have a problem, that's why we're here in the first place. manute isnt going to meetings at all and is just trying to stay off it solo ... which is the hardest, you got no skin in the game so theres not really incentive to stay sober aside from looking like a goof when friends and family catch you drunk.

My best friend and neighbor since I was like 2 was shot two times in the chest today over a quarter of weed and 300 bucks. He's currently in the hospital with life threatening injuries. This shit is a huge wake up call. Makes me really wanna get out of the stupid shit I'm in and stay clean and take life more seriously. No life is worth any amount of money. Keep him in your prayers tonight, family.

because that's guaranteed to work!

no, it's definitely not, that usually depends on how willing the person is who is trying to stop drinking.

I sense your sarcasm obviously.....but all joking aside, the suggestion was merely meant to possibly help a fellow oontzer out.

out of curiosity NBB since you in here regularly, have you ever put together any time sober? if so how long and what did you find helpful?

From a newbie perspective... i see 90-in-90 and get scared as fuck. I know I don't really have the time for that even if every meeting was easily accessible for me. .

in my 4 years of not drinking and hitting meetings, I have never done 90 in 90.

100% meetings, sponsors, reading, steps etc is not why people stay sober (no doubt they are tools that make it easier and help long term sobriety) folks stay sober because they want to. when folks really stick to it, like some of you guys have been.....its because they got to the point that they wanted to make a change.

when i stopped i was so fucking sick of how my life was going, you couldnt have paid me to drink.

Merry Xmas Naggers, hope you all give yourself a gift today. Peace.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Christmas eve/day was not easy thats for sure. Almost everyone in my family drinks pretty heavily on big holidays. They're not alcoholics by any means, but there was a shit load of booze in almost every room in my aunts house.

I did have a shorty 40 of some Godiva chocolate liquor that everyone was swearing by, but I was proud of myself for stopping there instead of having another 3-4. Its nice to know I can have an occasional cocktail once in a while without it leading to getting plastered and actin a fool.

no, it's definitely not, that usually depends on how willing the person is who is trying to stop drinking.

I sense your sarcasm obviously.....but all joking aside, the suggestion was merely meant to possibly help a fellow oontzer out.

out of curiosity NBB since you in here regularly, have you ever put together any time sober? if so how long and what did you find helpful?

Why would I do that? But I've seen more peoples life become way shittier after aa. Like... way shittier.and I've noticed that no one in here besides the people who quit on thier own seem happier. Look at poz vs judge mental forsit telling everyone that there is no way you can do it on your own.