Alcoholism

Step8

this was the scene at my wifes company christmas party last night...

AgVX2gGCAAABEcm.jpg

It is crazy how I can be drawn to drink no matter what I do....

I ran the noon meeting like I do every other friday, hell I even hit a meeting thursday night too...

but the bottles were calling me, I was pondering pouring a little something into my soda. It's fucking crazy how the shit gets to me.

Then I go to eat these cookie lookin things, and right as I am about to eat one (I had been eyeing them all night)....my wife asks homegirl what they are.

"rumballs"

Like a cookie that is a shot.....just goes to show how you have to set yourself up for success. Make sure you dont drink/eat something you dont know might have alcohol in it.

Broads were getting trashed, one female cried from 9pm to 1am.....it was a shit show.

One thing I have realized about the AA that has got into my brain.....I do not know if I could drink without the buzz being ruined by thinking about all the shit I have learned in the program.

/end rant

hope you fools are doing well.....the next few weeks are some of the hardest of the year for us. prepare yourselves...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
are all AA programs so god oriented? Ive only been to about 2 meetings at this one place, and there was definitly some hidden agendas goin on. just wondering if the entire program is like this

Yes....but the cool thing about it is that god can be pretty much anything. There is no jesus requirement. No "you have to do this or that" to be a member. No fucking rules. Thats what appealed to me..nobody was making me do anything. Open your mouth, ask some dudes that have been sober a while how they got the be where theyre at. Be honest with them about what you think. The ONLY requirement to be a member of AA is simply a desire to stop drinking. Thats all. All of the rest of it are simply suggestions. It has been my experience that in taking these suggestions I have been able to overcome many of the struggles I hear people talking about. I can now honestly say that Im happy regadrless of what may be going on at the moment.. Im not longer a scumbag..although im sure I still have my moments. I can be of use to other people/im a good friend. Im dependable. I understand how I work, and why I do the things I do..mostly, and I am able to use that knowledge to help other people. But for me, just going to meetings was not enough to get there. I was in a place where I needed to do the other stuff...and although it took me a significant amount of time (almost 8 years of continuous sobriety), for me to get to a place where I was willing to earnestly give that stuff a shot. Until i did that, very little changed for me. I still didnt feel good alot of the time, I was still fighting alot. I was still racking tons of stuff. Pretty much the only thing that changed is that I was no longer getting high. Its important to say though, that most times, my first impulse is still the same. I still want to hit people and steal and lie..but now, alot of times when I think these things would be a good idea, I dont act like that. Which for me, is a miracle.

The most important thin I can say, is to give the whole thing an honest shot. Its possible to feel better if you decide to. When I took the suggestions...I felt better, and equally as important, when I didnt, I didnt. Alot of times, thats as complicated as Im able to understand things.

...and Ralphy, Rumballs sound delicious. Oh man. Fuck that.

i know a dude who is an atheist in the program, sober for 20+ years....

it is intended to be a God of your creation.

Recently I have wondered why they say the lords prayer, considering it is so rooted in christianity.

Consider a couple points:

1. the program was founded over 50 years ago, at this time active participation in religion was a standard to most people.

2. don't let your opinion about god get in the way of you getting sober, bottom line the program is about getting sober and helping other alcoholics do the same.

A God of your understanding.....could be anything. No doubt about it, it is the hugest turn off for most people who either have never had a faith of some type....or who are just plain nonbelievers.

I come from a family of Irish and Italian catholics.......I do not believe that Jesus is God, I do not believe in religion. But I believe in spirituality and karma, I believe that every faith has something you can learn from, whether it is buddhism, islam, karma whatever.

I guess that in the way I look at the world and creation, I have no doubt that there is something greater than myself. Nature for one thing, surely a force greater than me. So when it comes to the idea of God that is discussed in AA, I choose to look at a simplified power greater than myself.

This is a wall of text, from Chapter 4 "We Agnostics" of the Big Book.

Just want to put it out there as I am willing to bet most folks haven't ever read from the big book:

Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem. That means we have written a book which we believe to be spiritual as well as moral. And it means, of course, that we are going to talk about God. Here difficulty arises with agnostics. Many times we talk to a new man and watch his hope rise as we discuss his alcoholic problems and explain our fellowship. But his face falls when we speak of spiritual matters, especially when we mention God, for we have re-opened a subject which our man thought he had neatly evaded or entirely ignored.

We know how he feels. We have shared his honest doubt and prejudice. Some of us have been violently anti-religious. To others, the word "God" brought up a particular idea of Him with which someone had tried to impress them during childhood. Perhaps we rejected this particular conception because it seemed inadequate. With that rejection we imagined we had abandoned the God idea entirely. We were bothered

with the thought that faith and dependence upon a Power beyond ourselves was somewhat weak, even cowardly. We looked upon this world of warring individuals, warring theological systems, and inexplicable calamity, with deep skepticism. We looked askance at many individuals who claimed to be godly. How could a Supreme Being have anything to do with it all? And who could comprehend a Supreme Being anyhow? Yet, in other moments, we found ourselves thinking, when enchanted by a starlit night, "Who, then, made all this?" There was a feeling of awe and wonder, but it was fleeting and soon lost.

Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men.

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach. That was growth, but if we wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So we used our own conception, however limited it was.

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself ?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

Really my only intent in the above post, was to stress that the program is not forcing any specific religion or belief on anyone.

Yes, it is stressing spirituality of ones own creation. That is something I feel that most people have anyway, whether it be religious or not.

Anyway.....back to the thread topic.

I didn't drink today. /powerpostoner

All that is bullshit they tacked on once they started getting contracts with the state. We've had this discussion before. The original book didn't say a "god of your own conviction" or whatever other shit they feed you. It was a CHRISTIAN GOD.

Im sure there are athiests in it. I don't care. It was still created as a religious deal and it always will be. The fact is that a lot of their funding comes from the state, so they have to tack on that other bullshit.

My favorite one is "it can be anything, even a door knob"

Right.

Does anyone else have the issue of seeing the world as total shit when sober? Since i moved a little over a month ago, I have had ups and downs, but I feel the worst when I haven't had a drink for a while.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change" -very hard for me

"Courage to change the things I can" - Not too hard, except for the booze, which is very very difficult

"And the wisdom to know the difference" - A true request. Please..

• Like 1

well if you ever find yourself in wilmington nc dont go to the AA meetings at that church on college rd because they didnt mention the whole god can be anything bit, memphisordie explained it pretty good to me though. I wish my dad didnt end up going to that particular meeting, hes sober now but not thanks to that AA group, im sure theres a term for it but he had one of those "wake up and realize holy shit" moments, and moved in with a girl he met whos sober now.

I can defintley get behind the "god can be anything" idea, while i wish they wouldnt use the G word, i believe in the idea that you can take a hobby or a person and use that to motivate (doesnt really sound like the right word) you to stay sober and whatnot.

i get lucky here................cause i totally believe in the G O D.........

have my own religon to. Fat Cap for Jesus....cause Jesus was dope yo...a carpenter that hung out with thieves and prositiutes and was said to of walked on water and turn water to wine and sacrificed his life in the belief that we can have a better way to live after all our choices in this life are made....so i catch fat cap tags for him cause i think he would smile..

mushy nerdy emo aside.......

i am going to aa. my new sponsor is a recovered heroin addict. believe it or not they (i kick it with a few) say kicking alchohol is pretty fucking hard-which feels good to hear and you gotta respect people that have kicked h)

also, im in sf....we HAVE THE BEST MEETINGS EVER!!! i would seriously recommend moving here just for the meetings and jobs and weather and art and women and geography oh....and the 40 or so pot clubs....pretty awesome.

besides that...i found two new jobs and am starting two diffrent companys in the meantime. got a beautiful rednose pitt puppy and Cherokee and Black Goddess that loves my stupid ass...still havent figured that one out.

so anyway....specifically because of this thread and people in my life that care about me want me to stop drinking....im trying meetings again.

thanks homies.

^^^^ fist scene in that video is the last place i had a drink......right behind topr, the world famous condor

my brother told me about some documentary Steve O did on his sobriety....this is what I found from it.

Not really a Jack Ass fan, but Steve O was fucked up....has the means to basically get anything he wants, chicks money etc.

But he has been sober for a decent amount of time.

That Steve-o video had me not wantin to click links anymore, dude was getting blasted all day erryday.

It did get me to appreciate that I don't do blow, nitrous, psychedelics or pills anymore though. The bottle has been the only thing I can't put down and walk away from.

If only quitting drinking was as easy as quitting blow i'd be fine. Strange how that works, the legal one is the hardest to quit...

POZ ---- good looks and good work.

my one month was sunday.

i gotta say ... mentally/emotionally i feel so much better than i used to. i went to a different meeting than i usually do last week and i was the youngest person there by more than a decade. aa members are some of the nicest people ive ever met, for real. a lotta these people were older than my father and came up to me and gave encouragement, love, etc.

thanks guys.

funniest thing in the steve o video, he cut through the sheet rock of his apartment and mounted speakers facing towards his neighbors to blast music.

congrats PoZ...

also glad you are finding some peace injury...

I have been having doubts about AA lately, when I hear criticism it is hard for me not

to buy into the negatives about the program. But it has been 4 years without a drink and I know I owe that to AA.

Have a good week fellas, keep the ball rolling and we will be sober and 2012 before you know it.

So I slipped up twice since the last time I posted here, but I haven't got drunk since I started really trying. From here on out I'm going to be more strict with myself.

I'm pretty sure I already lost some weight, too, which is cool. I was getting fat as fuck.

I don't know how you're doing it (white knuckling maybe?), but if you don't surround yourself with sober people, go to meetings, do service, work the steps etc etc you're gonna get loaded.

I think it's fun hanging around my drunk friends (99% of friends) always being able to deny what they want. People get so bummed about me not drinking, every time they start saying some shit or complaining I yell out baby cries like WUUUAAAHHHH WUAAAAAHHHH WAHHHHHHHHH louder than everyone in the room to dead the topic with laughter.

Change is good, I've been doing better.

*not all of my friends who drink are assholes, I have a lot of support from people I would never expect.

I don't know how you're doing it (white knuckling maybe?), but if you don't surround yourself with sober people, go to meetings, do service, work the steps etc etc you're gonna get loaded.

Um, I have never done step work, go to a NA meeting about once every three or four months, do not do service or surround myself with sober people. I have two years coming right up, there is more than one path,

Um, I have never done step work, go to a NA meeting about once every three or four months, do not do service or surround myself with sober people. I have two years coming right up, there is more than one path,

And you're the very few that this works for. And who knows how long that it'll work for? If nothing changes, nothing changes. You can't do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. If you used to hangout in bars and get drunk, don't do that anymore. etc.