Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
can't get day one at all. I've done it in the past., but it has literally been a year since I went a day without drinking.

I'm in a new city, with a couple friends from my old town. School stress and work are killing me, I'm probably gonna quit my job soon, even though it is a pretty good gig, just because the stress is making me stay up until 3am drinking to fall asleep.

Anybody have advice on how to stay focused through day 1? I'm a pretty heavy drinker, i know about carrying sweets for the sugar cravings, etc. But fuck man, falling asleep sober is nearly impossible for me. That's one of the reasons I started drinking and smoking at the end of the night, the spins actually let me fall asleep.

I need help.

Give AA a try maybe..? Be honest. Talk about why you decided to check it out and listen to what has worked for them.

It was my experience that I could relate to 'them' way more than I thought...and I found out that despite my preconceived notions, alot of the people there were pretty alright.

ativan (lorazepam) helps me get to sleep. just helps to stop thinking so much. really helps for my short turn-around days at work. ex. like when i get off at 12am and have to be at work at 10am the next morning.

you obviously cant make it a habit to take it everynight but sometimes it helps me sleep just knowing its there if i need it. helps you relax. if you keep telling yourself that you cant sleep without alcohol you WONT.

also. get exercise. run a few miles a day. certainly helps with the sleep.

ativan (lorazepam) helps me get to sleep. just helps to stop thinking so much. really helps for my short turn-around days at work. ex. like when i get off at 12am and have to be at work at 10am the next morning.

you obviously cant make it a habit to take it everynight but sometimes it helps me sleep just knowing its there if i need it. helps you relax.

I HAVE 40 SOME PILLS ON STANDBY,

AND YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT, JUST KNOWING I CAN TAKE ONE AT ANY TIME,

HELPS WITH THE ANXIETY/PANIC-ATTACKS.

ARE YOU AT HALF A PILL, OR A FULL ONE?

NOW I JUST NEED TO GET A DEPRESSION MED.

word. also redeye you may just not be ready.

it seems like for a large number of people it just doesnt happen until they are completely fed up and want that change.

injury, glad to hear you are digging meetings. remember when we go to meetings or talk to other alcoholics that it is important to look at our similarities not our differences. all types of folks go to meetings and it is very likely that someone will have something you relate to. make it a point to talk to some folks, it may feel awkward but some of them have success and know how to win the fight with alcohol, you cant get their insight wihout putting yourself out there a bit, ends up worthwhile.

in the past 18 days I drank 1 night.

The biggest problem besides urges to party are sleeping. Working out helps big time, and doing as much productive shit as you can all day long so you feel accomplished, letting you sleep easy.

that is huge progress, why did you want to cut down lin the first place? i remember you saying you dont really have any regrets, which is rare for most of us...

just curious.

BTW i started writing to 2 guys in prison, you get paired through the AA Service center.

These are dudes who want to do step work but do not want to work with other inmates.

As many of us know, prison politics are serious business, so step work is seen as snitching on yourself and could make you vunerable. Basically working the steps via mail, kind of strange, but I relate to guys who are incarcerated, i used to visit my friend when he was doing a 9 year bid. Should be interesting..

• Like 1

word. also redeye you may just not be ready.

it seems like for a large number of people it just doesnt happen until they are completely fed up and want that change.

injury, glad to hear you are digging meetings. remember when we go to meetings or talk to other alcoholics that it is important to look at our similarities not our differences. all types of folks go to meetings and it is very likely that someone will have something you relate to. make it a point to talk to some folks, it may feel awkward but some of them have success and know how to win the fight with alcohol, you cant get their insight wihout putting yourself out there a bit, ends up worthwhile.

Yeah man .. appreciate the kind words, encouragement, and the offer, most of all. I don't think i'm gonna go the sponsor/12 steps route just yet, cause I think some day in the future i might want to drink again. But for now, i realized my issue was that I used alcohol as a problem solver & lost control of my use of it. So I need to stay away from it for the present and until i graduate school, which isn't far. And being in the environment of people who want to take the self-betterment route is both inspiring and humbling.

Actually, at the first meeting, I was approached by two guys who came up seperately and introduced themselves and gave me their numbers .... it was encouraging and very welcoming. Made me feel right at home. First meeting I sat next to a blonde in law school who seemed pretty similar to me, which was also encouraging. I'm working my way up to talking soon. I like to hang back a little at first and get a feel for the group.

It's one of the better decisions i've made in awhile.

Thanks for the support.

Injury...

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_doctoropinion.cfm

Reading this helped me. I could relate.

...and as far as laying low and not talking to people at meetings, it was pointed out to me, that the many times where I did that, I was being selfish. I was concerned (afraid) of how I would be perceived by the people around me. I had never stopped to think that maybe I had something to offer another person, and that by speaking up and reaching my hand out to them, I might be able to improve their life a bit..even if just for a moment. When I began to see things from this perspective...it made it easier to come out of my shell. And dont get me wrong, it has taken me years to get to this point. Ive been at this for longer than a decade. Nobody expects you to become Mr. Outgoing around a group of alcoholic strangers overnight. But just something think about. For (long term) sobriety to be possible, a change in perspective is needed. This helped me.

• Like 1

I realize that there are folks like me and OMG, who have made the decision to commit and are going for long term sobriety...

I also realize that a lot of you are just trying to stop drinking for a set period of time or giving it your first shot....thats good too, i support all of you no matter what methods you are using to help yourself.

that said i know i tend to speak on alcoholism from an AA standpoint because that is what I have found works for me, and most people that i have met who have long term sobriety.

i want to make it clear though that by no means is there any "right" way of doing this stuff, i only speak on AA because that is what has helped me to stay sober.

hi. im an alchoholic. im comforted that im not hooked on coke meth an china....but after over twenty years of abuse of malt liqour and whiskey....i have come to the conlusion im a way better person sober.

i looked at the way i started drinking and why i drink. im debating on why and what my addiction does to me. but i dont really give a fuck and like i said...i get my fix at the corner store and can get through....but 40s have ruined ALOT for me. that being the deal....i still have a lot. but hey yo...i got crack riots human shit and violence when i step out my door and i dont pop pills and come from five generations of alchoholics.

i tried meetings. but i hate people and am anti social. embracing negative violent lifestyles and self destructive behavior goes great with with whiskey fortys blunts and coke...come down with some L and a bit of H and call it a good day.

im smart enough to know better.......and i know how alchoholics die. its about as bad as heroin. but at least its legal if you need the fix...but you can always fall off...its trying to stay on thats hard right?

ps.......heavy amounts of medical food and hash help. ALOT.

• Like 1

propd^

believe it or not, hearing what you have to say helps me....

i was the same way......drunk 24-7, doing coke, robbing folks, bombing everything, UC's raiding the house, using so much i couldnt get loaded, hurting the people i love most, ruining friendships etc....

not a place that I want to go back to.

good luck man.

Thanks Ralphy. That means alot.

I stay inner city. I see alot of crack heroin on the streets...coke and molly for rich kids.

people here drink so much when i walk out my door i have three liqour stores and 3 bars on the block.

so i have gone sqaure to detox. or trying anyway. i got a lorazipam script adovan or whatev...but i was eating 6 with a forty to get to sleep.

so i eat heavy butter and smoke hash to sleep. dont take any pills...not even advil and dont eat sugar and quit smoking. but im really in to software design.

i have been blessed with some real OGs showin me how not to fuck up and set me straight on the reality of how cold the world is.

its a harsh time in the world. Egypt? come on now. we are all pussy ass bitches in the us compared to Egyptians overthrowing their goverment for the second time.

anyway.

i drink way to much and im a better person sober. but who am i to judge...the heroin habit sounds nice...but im trynna be a sqaure.

its cool as long as you have razor sharp edges.

Respect.

Its a hard road...

I HAVE 40 SOME PILLS ON STANDBY,

AND YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT, JUST KNOWING I CAN TAKE ONE AT ANY TIME,

HELPS WITH THE ANXIETY/PANIC-ATTACKS.

ARE YOU AT HALF A PILL, OR A FULL ONE?

NOW I JUST NEED TO GET A DEPRESSION MED.

i start by taking a half a pill to go to sleep. if im still tossing & turning after another 30 min. then i take the 2nd half. also, ive found that if i have trouble sleeping in my bed, i make a swich to the couch after taking the 2nd half.

good luck man.

I had a huge stash of xans but got rid of them because I felt that I could do coke any time and have pills to help me sleep after, no matter what.

I went two days without a drink. Quite an accomplishment, as it felt good. Had court this morning. I didn't sleep, went, plead guilty and staved off doing time until late January, and hit the bar. I can't deal with this shit..

im 24, been drinking every day since i was about 20. I dont drink excessive amounts, but am a complete fucking asshole when i'm drunk. When i was in high school i got into coke and e and all that shit for 2 years before i even started drinking. Once i finished and got to university i tried to stop the hard shit but realized i couldnt stay up past like 7-8 drinks if i wasn't high so for the last 4 years i've been getting high and drunk all the time. I finally kicked the other shit 49 days ago but i'm still drinking everyday. I've ruined family friendships, relationships, gone to jail, and pretty much everything else the rest of you can relate to. My issue is my pops is a succesful businessman and i grew up watching him drinking a beer or 3 a day my whole life so i never thought there was anything wrong with that. I havn't posted on 12oz in years and just came across this thread. I guess my question is once you cross a line is it either you can drink or you can't? or does anyone out there have a story where they let themselves become and alcoholic but is now able to have a few drinks now and again, or better yet one or two a day? thanks

Triple, it's all or nothing for me. 1 Beer leads to 15 in a hurry. Not saying that I can't have just one, but that 1 beer is the start of a slippery slope for me. It might not happen tonight or tomorrow or Tuesday, but that's the beginning of the end every time. If I had just two last night, I'm good to go to the bar for just three tonight, right? Wrong. Every time I go to the bar for "just 3, that's it", which is every time I go, I always, no exceptions drink excessively. I just came off a 4 day bender, which for me, is bad. Doing that in your 30's isn't a good look. I haven't drank back to back nights in years, and I'm all off balance right now because of it. I've gotten nothing accomplished this week. I haven't gotten out of bed till 1:30 at the earliest, 3:00 being the average. It's sad, the only reason I didn't drink tonight is because my stomach is so fucked up, I've never had heart burn this bad in my life. I've posted before, I have experience with the recovery process, so I know that I'm smarter than this. My rationalizations for continuing drinking are asinine at best. "If I don't drink (random chick) will think I'm lame." "If I don't drink, what the fuck will I do socially?" "I can handle this." "If I don't drink, I won't be able to do _____." "I have nothing in common with people who don't use." So on and so forth. It definitely wears down your self esteem and makes the spiral worse, and thus the cycle continues. I'm making a conscious decision to make today Day 1. Not to jump on the band wagon, but I've got nothing to lose. I don't have any sober people in my "real" life, so I'm going to lean on you folks for a while. To be honest, I'm a little blown away at the number of people in recovery on 12 oz., let alone that we're actually admitting that in front of our "peers". So yeah, 24 hours and all that good stuff.

BEING AN ALCOHOLIC IS BEING OUT OF CONTROL,

SO THINKING ABOUT "HANDLING" 1 OR 2 A WEEK, OR DAY IS ABSOLUTE BS.

IT'S ALL OF OUR DREAM, BUT REALITY, NO.

STINKIN' THINKIN', YES.

THAT'S WHAT WE ARE, OUT OF CONTROL, AND JEALOUS OF THE SOCIAL DRINKER THAT CAN STOP AND MAN UP TO RESPONSIBILITIES, AND TURN THE CRAVING ON AND OF WITH CONTROL.

AND THEY JOKINGLY USE THE TERM "ALCOHOLIC" AND LAUGH.

I LOVE WHEN I HEAR YOUNG GIRLS CALL THEMSELVES ALCOHOLICS,

LIKE IT'S COOL TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM LIKE IT'S COOL TO HAVE A CIGARETTE IN THEIR HAND.

NONSENSE THREAD WORTHY.

im 24, been drinking every day since i was about 20. I dont drink excessive amounts, but am a complete fucking asshole when i'm drunk. When i was in high school i got into coke and e and all that shit for 2 years before i even started drinking. Once i finished and got to university i tried to stop the hard shit but realized i couldnt stay up past like 7-8 drinks if i wasn't high so for the last 4 years i've been getting high and drunk all the time. I finally kicked the other shit 49 days ago but i'm still drinking everyday. I've ruined family friendships, relationships, gone to jail, and pretty much everything else the rest of you can relate to. My issue is my pops is a succesful businessman and i grew up watching him drinking a beer or 3 a day my whole life so i never thought there was anything wrong with that. I havn't posted on 12oz in years and just came across this thread. I guess my question is once you cross a line is it either you can drink or you can't? or does anyone out there have a story where they let themselves become and alcoholic but is now able to have a few drinks now and again, or better yet one or two a day? thanks

Whether I was born an alcoholic or not is up for debate, but I am a firm believer that because addiction runs in my family, I was predisposed to it. For me, I had an addictive personality from a young age. Whether it was cars, or bikes, or sports, or graffiti, or whatever..for me it was all or nothing. When I starting drinking and doing other drugs, it was the same thing. I did as much of it as I could, and the things that prevented me from doing it the way that I wanted to, became and issue and eventually fell by the wayside. Whether it was family, friends, jobs, school, personal hygene, or whatever. For me, I never wanted to just have a few. It always seemed silly to me. What was the point of doing anything unless I got fucked up from it. I have never seen anybody who was a real alcoholic, become a social, 'normal' drinker again. Same goes for other drugs. What kind of dope fiend gets high only at special occasions? I believe there is a definative line that is crossed, and once having crossed it, there is no turning back. I also think that its a waste of time to try and pinpoint when that was. If you are serious about remaining abstinent, and you believe that you are an alcoholic, then the idea that you can one day drink like a 'normal' person has to be smashed.

I never realized how fucking bad I depended on drinking until I recently tried to stop. This blows, but better now than 10 years when I'm an old fat shitty failure.

so true, for most alcoholics it only gets worse as we get older.

as far as the weed thing, the first 2 years i stopped drinking i was still blazing.

after awhile it started getting me super paranoid, which was weird because for 10 years I smoked nearly every day....all of a sudden it wasnt enjoyable.

but no doubt if smoking some chron is going to help with staying off the bot, do it.

/opinion