Some P2P links I thought I'd share

Dirty_habiT

http://www.altnet.com/

I have ZoneAlarm (ZA) running on my PC. I also frequent the "P2P network" via Kazaa version 2. I opened KazaaLite the other day, after installing ZA, and noticed that it tried to access a webpage at 217.116.227.249 (which turned out to be altnet). The website proudly boasts, "Direct your traffic to content on Altnet and begin cashing in today." Hmmm.... why was my Kazaalite trying to cash in today? Oh... I know now.

I might also note that if I didn't allow the access to that site, Kazaalite would crash. So... I allowed it the second time around.

It turns out that "Altnet" is a joint project between two companies. I encourage you to read these webpages and see for yourself what's going on behind the scenes when you open your "adware and popup free" Kazaalite.

http://www.joltid.com/

http://www.brilliantdigital.com/

Have you recently downloaded a wma file that insists on using WinMediaPlayer to open it only to find out that it connects to a website and "streams" the song to you? These are some exerpts from an article [link at bottom] I found on Altnet's site.

"When Kazaa users download and play either video [special formated for WinMedia 9], their Microsoft media player software is automatically upgraded to Windows Media 9."

"The videos were put on the Kazaa network by Altnet, a Los Angeles-based company that uses Microsoft's digital-rights-management software to place electronic locks on the songs and videos it distributes."

"Microsoft has paid Altnet an undisclosed sum to distribute promotional videos for Tony Hawk's Boom Boom HuckJam -- a touring extravaganza of skateboarding, cycling and punk rock -- and "The Rules of Attraction," a film by Lions Gate Entertainment, an independent studio in Marina del Rey. In addition to an upfront fee to start the distribution, Altnet charges Microsoft every time one of the videos is downloaded -- a fee that it splits with the company behind Kazaa, Sharman Networks Ltd. of Vanuatu, a tax haven in the South Pacific."

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-micro21oct210...0,7238388.story

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

I recommed for anyone that doesn't already have it, to get Zone Alarm or Black Ice Defender.... You'd be pretty surprised at what kind of stuff your computer will be trying to pull without you knowing.

Downloading it (ZA) as I type. My girlfriend installed it on her computer awhile back because she has a dedicated T3 connection. I was amazed at the number of times her computer would have allowed access to third parties.

If you would have bothered to read anything about Kazaa, you'd know it's still spyware.

DRM's are the latest wave in content security and management, So for now just don't use WMP, even tho there are already patches on the web to decrypt and stop DRM checking for wmp9.

Man... I feel like a dumbass now. No shit dc's better... you have to have a grip of files to share. I'm what you call a leach... I don't allow people to download files from me because my brother is playing games on the other computer, and I don't wanna lag him. Don't be mad wrkr.... be emo.

• 3 months later...

look

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

bump.

I recommed for anyone that doesn't already have it, to get Zone Alarm or Black Ice Defender.... You'd be pretty surprised at what kind of stuff your computer will be trying to pull without you knowing

i got a router instead. some dudes told me goin that way was the only 100 percent way to help stop that problem.

Well a router can be very helpful... *but* it cannot differentiate between harmful and normal traffic on ports such as 135 139 80 21 23, etc etc..... zonealarm works *on your pc* you will see if something is trying to access the network, as opposed to a router, unless you have it configured correctly and setup to notify an admin on your domain of an intrusion, will just sit there and pass traffic back and forth blocking weird ports. So my point is, routers are *very* helpful, but having zonealarm is just that much more safe.

Archived