Quality Hbo Documentaries.

ETHREADZNY

Hookers at the Point

The point in question is a place called Hunts Point, a red light district in New York City's Bronx borough.

If you're confused about the hookers part of the title, well, we can't help you here.

Brent Owens' HBO documentary is a candid look at the oldest profession in the book, and it ain't Pretty Woman. By and large, today's prostitutes (or at least, hookers from the early 1990s, when Hookers at the Point was made) are exactly as you'd expect. If you happen to live in a city of more than 100,000 people, you can probably ferret them out yourself, and they'll look and act exactly like the women in this flick. (That said, Owens goes out of his way to find a few hot chicks, and he does turn some up in the sequel, which revisits Hookers one year later.)

What makes Hookers at the Point more fascinating than a drive through your own skid row is Owens' dedication to following the ladies on the job. With secret cameras and microphones, we get to see and hear exactly what goes down during a proposition. And it ain't pretty. We also get intimate (so to speak) with the hookers themselves, in candid gab sessions which mostly appear shot in Owens' car or some strange den of sin. The abuse -- physical and mental -- that these women take in order to make a few hundred bucks a night is astonishing.

Owens catches up with a few hookers like Angel (nicknamed "the schoolteacher" due to her large glasses and baby face) and then revisits them years later. After two years have gone by, Angel looks nothing like the schoolteacher from before. Now 30, she looks beaten down and old. And she's got no upper teeth... something to help out with her job.

Unfortunately, the last hour of Hookers gets repetitious -- lots of moaning about pimps, bad tricks, cops, and so on. A second sequel, Hookers at the Point: Five Years Later, adds nothing to the mix.

So what are you going to take away from Hookers at the Point? Well, aside from a new respect for the streetwalker, you're going to learn a lot of amazing fashion tips.

Comes in R-rated and unrated versions. We reviewed (and linked, at right) the unrated version. <http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/mepics.nsf/view/spacer/$File/spacer.gif>

http://epguides.com/Corner/cast.jpg'>

his is not a "typical" urban story of lives hung dangerously in the balance. Viewers are shown the human side of the McCullough family and the tough choices they had to face every day just to survive. Actors T.K. Carter, Khandi Alexander and Sean Nelson give stellar performances in this powerful drama.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest fr8lover

ethreadz, since you hooked it up with the recommendation for "living on the edge" and i went and checked it out that day and its fucking awesome so far, i recommend getting the book they based The Corner on. i just got done reading it for the 2nd time and it is fucking unbelieveable.

just a heads up...the show was great too.

Originally posted by fr8lover

ethreadz, since you hooked it up with the recommendation for "living on the edge" and i went and checked it out that day and its fucking awesome so far, i recommend getting the book they based The Corner on. i just got done reading it for the 2nd time and it is fucking unbelieveable.

just a heads up...the show was great too.

I am glad you are feeling the book, yeah I actually already read The Corner, another book I couldnt put down. Defiently a suggestion for others to read.

fr8lover, any other's you recommend?

Guest fr8lover

the corner was amazing, at times it was kinda preachy when the author went on rants about society and such but it was a fast read.

as far as books i read recently

microserfs: about microsoft employees and their struggle to have lives. its kinda weird but real entertaining.

cyberpunk: three stories about hackers, kevin mitnick, german hackers, and this guy cliff stoll tracking down hackers across the world.

cyberpunk sounds like something worth reading, I am going to try to pick up a cheap copy. I am trying to think If this book that I was recommended by a friend of mine, It was written by the author of fight club. He insist it is the best book he ever read. Does anybody know the title?

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/02030113011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4869478.gif'>

this is the book I was told about, anybody read it?

From the author of the international sensation Fight Club, a powerful (and hilarious) novel about love and strife between mothers and sons, the addictive power of sex, the terrors of aging, the ugly truth about historical theme parks, and much else...

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk's controversial and blazingly original debut novel, introduced a fresh and even renegade talent to American fiction, one who has retooled the classic black humor of Terry Southern and Kurt Vonnegut for the lunacy of the millennial age. In his new novel, Choke, he gives readers a vision of life and love and sex and mortality that is both chillingly brilliant and teeth-rattlingly funny.

Victor Mancini, a dropout from medical school, has devised a complicated scam to pay for his mother's elder care: Pretend to be choking on a piece of food in a restaurant and the person who "saves you" will feel responsible for the rest of his life. Multiply that a couple of hundred times and you generate a healthy flow of checks, week in, week out. Between fake choking gigs, Victor works at Colonial Dunsboro with a motley group of losers and stoners trapped in 1734, cruises sex addiction groups for action ("You put twenty sexaholics around a table night after night and don't be surprised."), and visits his mother, whose anarchic streak made his childhood a mad whirl and whose Alzheimer's disease now hides what may be the startling truth about his (possibly divine?) parentage. An antihero for our deranging times, Victor's whole existence is a struggle to wrest an identity from overwhelming forces. His creator, Chuck Palahniuk, is the visionary we need and thesatirist we deserve.

Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/02030113011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4869478.gif'>

this is the book I was told about, anybody read it?

yo, hell yeah. haha. i finished reading this shit 2 weeks ago i think. to complete my reading of all palahniuks books. even though now he has a new one ("lullaby") out. which promises to be good im sure.

choke is fucking excellent. BUT...i must suggest "survivor" to you. thats the best book i've ever read......

http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lepmw194coKa6bf0eaaRuH4/G6LTAEFiq9ZYJZQqqVUepDGTqbOAOPeqvZ9f0z7l3G4='>

http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lepmw194coKa6bf0eaaRuH4/xqDT6DWKNcZWmKhJlBSt/xssxkWPyAxNWGA+qO2Q5ITVeCGEcqSOG8r0tYUvqJqKCQ/OCy5Rxc0wsaNP/PR7Kj4CGFG3ZWbv9duOoI7jtGTCIWABNTIvVE4lz/9Mu4wOvLzvAQqzABtVdVwW25UGx2C7r0zXN2Ti'>

all i've heard about that show up until 2 weeks ago is how incredible it is. i'd never seen it before and finally watched it at my girlfriends sisters house (tony or whoever was fucking some girl that was getting his horse painted or something? his wife stole some of his cash and the guy who was going out with the girl he fucked turned out to be some sort of masochist...) i just didnt find it interesting in the slightest.

the only things worth watching on tv now is the history channel (modern marvels...what what...) and "the critic" reruns on comedy central. the rest is schlock.

Guest fr8lover
Originally posted by Nic Thamaire

I saw that one about the Point,that shit was ill,,like 24 hours in the life of a Hoe,,An other one that was pretty scary was about that forty years old father,that started to take XTC and going to rave w/ his three boys and daughter,,pretty sick shit

yeah that dad was a real fuck up. he more or less chose ecstasy over custody of his kids.

A fucking great doc that HBO has is "Lalee's Kin : Legacy of Cotton" It shows the lasting impact of cotton and slavery in a elderly woman living in the Mississippi Delta. It takes a look at the plight of the community and how it's sort of stuck in a dead end catch 22 spot. It might sound dumb from my discription but it is fucking amazing. I mean this one kid living in 1998 never even heard of a Nintendo. I knew america had it's fair share of poverty but the conditions these people live in is harsh.

"Lalee's Kin : Legacy of Cotton"

Made by the same people that documented the Rolling Stones concert @ Ridgemont. They hardly ever play it so keep a look out.

Archived