RISKY JOBS:

ETHREADZNY

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD DRIVE A CAB ON NY, WHAT ARE OTHER JOBS THAT UNFORTUANTLY BECAME TO RISKY TO DO?

Taxicab homicide factsheet

Taxi drivers are 60 times more likely than other workers to be murdered on the job

At least 141 cab drivers were murdered on the job in the US between 1998 and 2001, a rate of one every ten days.

It is riskier to drive a taxicab in San Francisco than in New York City.

This has been true for a long time, and the comparison is getting worse. Read my report on data presented to the SF Taxi Commission in January 2002. In recent years, San Francisco cabs have an estimated rate of homicide that is higher than the NYC liveries and gypsy cabs. Click here for a list of slain SF drivers.

* Three-quarters of taxicab driver homicides are due to head and neck injuries.

* Almost 95% of fatal attacks occur when the driver is inside the vehicle.

* Over 80% occur between 6 PM and 6 AM.

* Two-thirds of the assailants are under age 20.

* 85% of the fatal injuries are gunshot wounds.

These observations are based on my research as summarized in "606 Taxicab Driver Homicides, United States and Canada, 1980-1994." Click here to read the report.

The case for partitions in taxicabs

* Partitions are the only safety strategy that protects a driver from the most common and highest risk scenario, which is an opportunistic gun attack from behind. Click on these links to see an inside and outside view of a partitioned taxicab.

* Partitions are the worldwide industry standard taxi safety device. They are a familiar sight to travelers. They are used in tens of thousands of cabs in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Baltimore, London, Sydney, Shanghai and other places.

* Partitions have been proven effective through decades of use in US cities. Their effectiveness has been documented through statistical analysis by Dr. John Stone in his report, "The Effectiveness of Taxi Partitions: The Baltimore Case." Click here to read the abstract or get a copy of the report.

* Partitions do not increase risk for passengers. Click here to review the crash statistics from New York. Passenger injuries went down sharply in every year following the introduction of partitions in 1994.

* Very few passengers are inconvenienced by a properly installed shield. Foot room is the key customer comfort concern. Good partition design and larger vehicles, such as minivans, adequately resolve all passenger comfort issues.

* Driver preferences pro-and-con shields are linked to which shift they work, to length of service and to other variables. Two official surveys were conducted in San Francisco. Click here to read my article analyzing the results. The surveys provide support for the current law's requirement for shields in 50% of the cabs.

* Tips are the same with or without a partition. Many customers, especially cell phone users, appreciate the added sense of privacy that a partition provides.

* Partitions are cheap, low maintenance and low tech. They can be installed by a mechanic in 30 minutes. They are appropriate technology for small operations, which comprise the majority of the industry.

* They are passive safety devices. When the shield window is closed, the device will perform its function with no action required by the driver or others.

American taxicab drivers have an occupational homicide risk far in excess of any other occupation. The problem is universal throughout the industry, afflicting big cities and small towns alike. Driver murders occur on average once every ten days in the US.

The dramatic reductions in risk achieved through the use of partitions, especially as seen in Boston and New York, offer the prospect of quickly reducing the homicide rate to near zero.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by fr8oholic

THERE'S A LIGHT MOUNTED ON THE REAR TAILGATE OF ALL THE TAXI'S I SEE IN NY. I WAS UNDER THE PREMISE IT WAS A PASSIVE ALERT THAT THE DRIVER WAS UNDER DISTRESS.

THAT SOUND ABOUT RIGHT ETHREADS?

To be honest I am really not sure, but the assumption sounds about right.

I just think about how drunk and obnixious I have been riding back from bars to the cab drivers, and then realize how fuck up I am actually being. The risks these people take, they deserve nothing but props. My uncle was a cab driver in the late seventies in washington heights, he would tell me stories about getting coke wrapped up in tens for tips. He also said he got the privledge of picking up david bowie at one point. The life of a cab driver.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I just watched "The Deadliest Job in the World" on the Discovery Channel.

What is that job, you ask?

Crab fisherman.

Jobs 'linked to Parkinson's'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/920000/images/_920390_mechanic300.jpg'>

Mechanics are one of the at risk groups

Monday, 11 September, 2000, 23:38 GMT 00:38 UK

Jobs 'linked to Parkinson's'

[Mechanic]

Mechanics are one of the at risk groups

People who work with solvents such as petrol or rubber have a high risk of developing Parkinson's disease, according to a study.

They are also more likely to show symptoms of the disease early in life and risk developing a more severe form of the disease than those who do not work with solvents.

The study, carried out by researchers in Italy, suggests that the risks are greatest among people who work with hydrocarbon solvents.

These solvents are found in common petroleum-based products such as paints, glues and rubber.

As a result, the researchers suggest that painters, mechanics and printers are some of the most "at risk" jobs.

"Risky" jobs

Mechanics

Printers

Painters

People working with petroleum, rubber or plastic

Others at risk of developing the disease are people working with petroleum, rubber and plastic.

Doctors at the Parkinson Institute in Milan studied almost 1,000 patients with the disease.

It found that people who had worked with hydrocarbon solvents were likely to develop symptoms of Parkinson's three years before somebody who did not.

They also revealed that the severity of the disease was greatest among those who worked in "at risk" jobs.

The study found that most of those who had been exposed to hydrocarbon were mostly male and less educated than those who were not exposed.

The doctors said their findings showed a need for further research.

Dr Gianni Pezzoli, of the Parkinson Institute, said the study raised serious questions.

Further study call

"These findings raise serious questions about specific occupational risk.

"This study more than merits further investigation into job-related Parkinson's risk factors."

Parkinson's disease is generally regarded as a brain disorder.

It is a progressive disease which attacks the part of the brain which controls movement.

Drugs are currently used to treat the disease but their success is limited and the side-effects can be significant.

There is no cure and treatments only last a few years.

The symptoms are caused by the loss of cells in a certain part of the brain that produce dopamine - an important message-carrying chemical or neurotransmitter linked with movement.

But no one has been able to find out why those cells get destroyed in the first place.

Around 120,000 people in the UK have Parkinson's disease.

Guest SMUGGLER RSH
Originally posted by fr8oholic

THERE'S A LIGHT MOUNTED ON THE REAR TAILGATE OF ALL THE TAXI'S I SEE IN NY. I WAS UNDER THE PREMISE IT WAS A PASSIVE ALERT THAT THE DRIVER WAS UNDER DISTRESS.

THAT SOUND ABOUT RIGHT ETHREADS?

My friend in Australia who worked for a cab cleaning company accidently switched a red button on when cleaning the floor and Police and an Ambulance were sent to where he works...........Basically what they do it these screens light up with a message somewhere along the lines of.....HELP ME PLEASE CALL ..... AND REPORT A CAB IN DISTRESS etc etc

Guest socrates

I'm always suprised that law enforcment officer isn't up there on that list...I mean theydo get shot at on a regular basis and are dissrespected by most youth

Guest When One

off shore fisherman?

im exposed to chemicals all the time

-welding fumes

-gasoline

-smoke from burning things

-metal shavings

-gasses

-jism

-nautious anal fumes

-female contact

im not seeing any side effects yet