Pot as Tough on Lungs as Tobacco

effyoo

I guess this really doesn't come as a surprise:

Pot as Tough on Lungs as Tobacco

Today's Cannabis Stronger, With More Carcinogens, Than in the 1960s

By Jeanie Davis

Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD

WebMD Medical News

Nov. 12, 2002 -- Strong words of warning for those who smoke pot: British researchers have found that smoking pure cannabis harms your lungs as much as tobacco does.

Smoking three cannabis joints a day causes the same damage to the lining of the airways as 20 cigarettes. In fact, the tar from a joint contains 50% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco, says the report, published by the British Lung Foundation.

"These statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief that it is 'safer' for them," says Mark Britton, MD, chairman of the British Lung Foundation.

The report surveys all current medical and scientific research into the direct effects of smoking marijuana -- both alone and with tobacco -- on the smoker's respiratory health.

Among the findings:

The cannabis smoked today is much more potent than that smoked in the 1960s -- more than 15 times as potent.

People who smoke cannabis have significantly more respiratory symptoms such as chronic cough and mucus production, wheezing, and acute bronchitis.

Smoking three or four cannabis cigarettes a day causes the same degree of damage to the lining of the airways as 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day.

Cannabis tends to be smoked in a way that increases the puff volume by two-thirds and the depth of inhalation by one-third. There is an average fourfold longer breath-holding time with cannabis than with tobacco. This means that there is a greater respiratory burden of carbon monoxide and smoke particulates such as tar than when smoking a similar quantity of tobacco.

As with tobacco smoking, the research also shows a possible link between cannabis smoking and emphysema.

A survey earlier this year showed that 79% of children believe that cannabis was 'safe,' according to the British Lung Foundation's news release. Only 2% understood correctly that there are health risks associated with smoking pot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: News release, British Lung Foundation • Mark Britton, MD, chairman, British Lung Foundation.

© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.nab.org/images/publicservice/campaigns/Marijuana.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I guess it's good I've cut down significantly the both of them. ain't planning on quitting, though. damn, it's been a week and a half since I've smoked a cigarette, and a week since I've smoked a joint. i believe that's a record for me. Then again, I've been smoking a cigar a day for the past week or so. Zesto would be proud.

im not even going to read that and i can tell you its full of shit!! shit shit shit. weed has 1/3 the ammount of carcinogens than tobacco. and those results came from government testing when they were throwing propaganda at people to keep weed "dangerous". they manipulate their tests to make it work for them.

they tried to say that cannabis had twice as many carcinogens as tobacco. which was technically true but what they dont tell you is that those statistics were for the leaf, not the bud. the bud has 1/3 the amount. and theyre talking about natural tobacco compared to natural cannabis. tobacco you buy will have tons of added poisons. so dont buy the hype.....

playing devils advocate

Originally posted by jah

im not even going to read that and i can tell you its full of shit!! shit shit shit. weed has 1/3 the ammount of carcinogens than tobacco. and those results came from government testing when they were throwing propaganda at people to keep weed "dangerous". they manipulate their tests to make it work for them.

they tried to say that cannabis had twice as many carcinogens as tobacco. which was technically true but what they dont tell you is that those statistics were for the leaf, not the bud. the bud has 1/3 the amount. and theyre talking about natural tobacco compared to natural cannabis. tobacco you buy will have tons of added poisons. so dont buy the hype.....

I understand what you are saying completely. But don't you think the pro-marijuana movement kicks just as much propaganda as the anti-marijuana movement?

Originally posted by When

i smoke american spirits, additive free

they dont have the chemicals and last twice as long

cant beat that

smart man. i still bet they have something in them though. at least in the paper to make it burn evenly and quickly (gunpowder perhaps. thats whats in other gritts). i could easily be wrong though. ive lost faith in a lot of things...

Originally posted by jah

smart man. i still bet they have something in them though. at least in the paper to make it burn evenly and quickly

actually they have no 'burn agents'

if you stop puffing they soon go out

i know they will kill me just the same, but atleast it will be a slower process

no burn additives or anything huh?? thats cool. i may take up cigarettes. nah not really but thats cool. ok i really have to go get some weed now. fuck, i have to wait for my roommate to get back from taking his psychotic ex bitch back to her house first....

Guest Melburnian

Damn i guess im gunna have to stop smoking cannabis because its less dangerous than cigarettes.

hahahaha thats a load of shit if i ever heard of someone smoking weed not because it gets you high but it is safer i would slap them silly.

Originally posted by Melburnian

Damn i guess im gunna have to stop smoking cannabis because its less dangerous than cigarettes.

hahahaha thats a load of shit if i ever heard of someone smoking weed not because it gets you high but it is safer i would slap them silly.

i hope youre not implying me. but anyway, it is safer dude. i guarantee youre not talking from knowledge but from what youve heard. weed is way healthier than cigarettes. millions of people die a year from tobacco (directly from tobacco) and there has never (NEVER) been a recorded death caused by cannabis. get your facts straight before you run your mouth like you know what the fuck youre talking about.

slap yourself silly....

Guest Melburnian

You obviously didnt understand what i was implying.

I was reffering to the statement the article made about people who "smoke cannibas BECAUSE its healthier than cigarettes" (not to get high but just because its healthier)

Yeah i dont smoke cigarettes and no im not going to slap myself silly.

Word to your mother.

Devils advocate, again.....

Originally posted by jah

and there has never (NEVER) been a recorded death caused by cannabis. get your facts straight

Is this because people don't want to admit that they are on the toke, or because they smoke both...?

P.S. Effyoo= Pro Marijuana, Ex heavy toker, never a smoker.

Guest willy.wonka

pot is not a drug....

bullshit, its better than the rest of them.

Originally posted by willy.wonka

you'er not a real graff writer if you dont smoke dank.

:lol:

my mad melbournian. i didnt read the article so i didnt get what you were saying and it sounded weird. ill slap myself...*slap*. no not really.....

I GOT MY WEED!!!!!

:cool:

Guest catwash
Originally posted by jah

and those results came from government testing when they were throwing propaganda at people to keep weed "dangerous". they manipulate their tests to make it work for them.

I was thinking this too, I remember reading that tests had found that weed was far less of a health risk than cigarettes when smoked pure. And, now that decriminalisation seems to be on the horizon and more people maybe interested in it, .... we get new test results telling us how bad it all is.

i fyou grow your own, you know whats going into it. Otherwise.....

it's the way forward I tell ya, beat the dealer.

also, if you smoke out of a bong almost all of the carcinogens are filtered out. or most of them or something like that.... i guess it would reduce the risks of tobacco carcinogens too but there would still be more in tobacco than weed....

Guest SMUGGLER RSH

I wonder what happens with all the bad shit besides THC in those hot air bongs you know the ones that likes heat the THC off and into the bong someone on here had one I remember.......But I will smoke until my lungs go flying out my mouth in which case I will die....

all i know is that a couple of my friends were in the area unexpectedly and we all puffed a blunt and i was stoned as fuck last night...

and about 10 minutes after we're done puffing, my girl calls. he he...she hates when i smoke pot. i feel bad though, cause the last 5 minutes that my friends are over, im on the phone with her. oh well....

Archived