check out my new toy...

zorak

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest mikro137

ohhhh shit! thats whats up. i have a big muff , my favorite distortion pedal ever. electro harmonix makes some dope ass shit. so does danelectro. theyre gear is near indestructable and is just really really nice soundidng. i have the fab tone. second best distortion pedal ever.

Guest Dyptheria

thats pretty cool, but i'm not jealous. i have all of those effects plus phaser and delay in one rack. and if you're an analog snob, well i got an MXR phase90 and a vintage MXR flanger.

Guest Dyptheria

actually the big muff has been changed several times over the years, so it depends on which era big muff you got if you wanna say its the best ever. i had an old army- green one which rocked, my friend bought this newere white colored one that i didn't care for. superfuzzes were good dist pedals too. for simple dist though, i stick with the old school ibanez tube screamers

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by Dyptheria

actually the big muff has been changed several times over the years, so it depends on which era big muff you got if you wanna say its the best ever. i had an old army- green one which rocked, my friend bought this newere white colored one that i didn't care for. superfuzzes were good dist pedals too. for simple dist though, i stick with the old school ibanez tube screamers

i have a late 90s black big muff. i had the said green one years ago , but it broke , and me being an idiot got rid of it (35 bux to fix this , nah ill just get a new one...wow im stupid). i am partial to the origional fuzz face that plugged into the body of the guitar. that was a great fuzz.

what kind of guitar do you have ?

i am an analog snob, so...

your rack gear is of no interest to me, but at least you have the MXR gear for redemption.:p

superfuzz is the shite, i've got one of these:

http://www.analogman.com/graphics/blkcatsf.jpg'>

best fuzz on the market. the distortion signal is a saw wave as opposed to the square wave in most fuzz pedals.

as far as the big muff is concerned i haven't come across one that i have liked. i hear the potential for great tone in a muff pi, but i haven't come across the right pedal. the ones i have played seem too compressed.

i'm more partial to the proco rat myself.

http://www.procosound.com/musicians/rats/vintage.jpg'>

much better sound than the muff in my opinion. to my ears there seems to be more depth to the tone and level of distortion, even at lower settings.

Guest mikro137

the rat is ok... depth is what you want , check out the mesa boogie v-twin. that shit is really fuckin fresh. tubes in a pedal. who would have thought that would be a good idea...

Guest fr8lover

ive been scheming on a big muff for awhile. ever since i heard thats what they used on "siamese dream" ive been wanting that sound forever.

Guest Dyptheria

oh that boss distortion pedal is bad. just throw it away. get a good old fender or marshall for basic distortion, and if you want extra gain throw in a boss overdrive or an ibanez tubescreamer, or if you want extreme fuzzy distortion, add a big muff, fuzzface, or a superfuzz. thats it. you should get your basic tone from your amp, first and foremest, not a pedal, trust me, when you're on stage you don't wanna fuck with a pedal that changes the your entire tone. your pedals should "enhance" the tone that a good amp shoudl supply.

Guest mikro137

yeah i have a shitty ass amp. but , when thats all you can afford , thats what you use.

that ds1 got me though alot of rough times when my last band was playing together. nice brittle ass no warmth tone. perfect for buzzsaw guitar riffs. but now im more into thrash , and greaser punk , so im actualy looking for tone.

boss pedals suck...

seriously. i generally view boss products as tone bombs. not good, but as i already said, i am an analog snob.

when it comes to the rat, only the vintage model cuts it. all the other models are a bit over done. most people disregard this pedal because it has such a cheesy name, i sure as hell did at first, but when i played it... shit is off the hook.

i'm sure the mesa boogie sounds nice, but i'm not into paying fourhundred bucks for a stomp box. my rat cost me fifty dollars out the door brand new.

as far as finding a "siamese dream" big muff, you are going to have to look long and hard* to find one with the right tone. there are a lot of big muffs out there and many of them sound like shit. production practice/quality as well as parts in these boxes varried greatly from year to year.

that's how sustain punch found their niche in the market:

http://www.musictoyz.com/creamy.gif'>

"SustainPunch Creamy Dreamer Distortion Sustainer - The Creamy Dreamer was designed to produce smooth, rich, warm distortion, and fuzz. It's ability to make a guitar sustain with a fat and creamy tone has caught the eye of the Smashing Pumpkins', Billy Corgan."

basically if you want the classic "big muff" or "smashing pumpkins" tone, save your pennies and buy a sustain punch. billy corgan did.

*homosexual undertone

Guest mikro137

i dunno , i love the the mesa. agreed 400 bux is a ton of money to spend on a pedal , but i have found em on ebay for 150 bux so.... nahimean.

the rat=good. they had a cheaper version called the brat for a while. it sounded like ass.

Guest Dyptheria

first time hearing about the sustain punch, i might test it out...but if your rat cost 50 bucks, did you buy it back in the eighties or something? because they changed the circuitry later on, and they haven't sounded that good since.

i'd rather get an older Kasha preamp than some distortion pedal... but i still say its better to rely on a good amp for the tone than some pedal, and yes most boss pedals do suck. god, i remember when that god-awful metal zone came out, every young kiddie punk ands hardcore band in my town used it, i couldn't stand going to shows because the terrible tone would hurt my ears

Guest mikro137

fuck that metal zone shit. that shit gay. danelectro all the way.

amps: im a big fan of my 62 silvertone. all tubes , awesome tremelo. no output jack thats my only gripe. i should have gotten the head and cabnet when i first saw em... instead i got the 1x12

listen to us... a bunch of music nerds talking about effect pedals.

i bought my rat about five years ago, but i went through a bunch of them before buying mine. i did a pedal shoot-out with a few big muffs and a few rats before i walked out with my vintage rat. i actually a/b it against a rat from the early eighties which my then employer had, and they sounded just about the same. neither one sounded "better" than the other, just subtle nuances. sometimes you have to dig a little to get a good sounding box.

what i like about the rat is that it has true bypass, which the muff does not... the muff effects the direct tone too much when not on. not saying one is better than the other, after all i am a HUGE fan of electro harmonix, i just personally like the rat better as a distortion/fuzz pedal. it seems to not get in the way as much.

my black cat super fuzz is also true bypass.

the memory man definitely effects my tone when not on, but i can put up with it. i think it is one of, if not the best analog delay on the market. i am prolly gonna get the analogman true bypass mod done, cause i am crazy like that.

the reason i paid so little for the rat is because i am one hell of a haggler. i only paid one hundred bucks for the deluxe memory man, new in the box!

150 doesn't seem so bad, but that pedal looks heavy as hell. i'm sure it sounds as heavy as it looks, but i like to be able to carry my pedals in one hand.:crazy:

Guest mikro137

my biggest gripe about the muff , is the placement of the input output jacks. (theyre reversed) its gotta be the worst part about it for me. but i was able to reverse the jacks with a little enginuity so its all good in the hood.

the v twin ist all that big , its maybe as big as the memory man. it is heavy as hell , but its thuggish.

how about sans amp , no one mentioned that yet....

how about this bad ass motherfucker...

http://www.musictoyz.com/zbjunk.jpg'>

1] Records up to 20 seconds of your performance.

2] Allows you to initiate and finish a recording at any moment with a stomp switch, when activated.

3] Begins looping a few thousandths of a second after the record process is finished.

4] Remembers your loop even when unplugged or with the battery removed, for up to 100 years.

5] Has true bypass.

6] The true-bypass switch initiates loop playback from the sample’s beginning at any time.

7] Has vibrato with speed and depth controls, allowing a vibrato/chorus/Leslie-like shimmer.

8] Has very slow vibrato speed for warped-record effects, to very fast for jiggly playback.

9] Has real clocked-analog recording with no analog-to-digital conversion.

10] Records using velvety compression for a smooth organ-like sound.

11] Allows overdriven recording of storage cells using ‘record level’ control.

12] Has a tone control that rolls off hiss and other annoying artifacts for burbling, mellow samples.

13] Has hiss! Lots of it! It’s analog, remember, with no noise-reduction, and it’s lo-fi. 8^)

14] Has very limited frequency response. Nothing above 2.6 kHz. Brick-wall filtering.

15] Has a safety-switch to protect a favorite sample from being recorded over accidentally.

16] Plays back at any volume, louder than your direct guitar if you wish.

17] Has a gorgeously transparent guitar preamp built-in to give your direct guitar a glistening finish.

blah blah...

21] Features aliasing artifacts, distortion, hiss, out-of-tune effects, strange behavior, and long battery life.

22] Allows loop erasure during bypass, resulting in a looping hiss sample.

23] Never sounds like what you played into it. Always alters the original tone and dynamics.

blah...

25] Has simple LED status indicator. Lights up solid while recording, blinks once at the end of every loop. Stops in bypass mode.

holy shit. you digital types prolly think this sucks, but goddamn. i am reduced to pure fucking profanity for a pedal with these kind of possibilites. only $350 or one arm and one leg.

Guest Dyptheria

wow, that little thing has more than my digital rack. then again my rack is over ten years old. my rack has dry outputs as well as mixed outputs so i can run stereo, and it doesn't effect my tone in anyway, the digital delay doesn't bother me, its just convenient to take to a gig so i don't have to set up a buncha pedals, just one geberic on/off footswitch. i actually haven't set foot in a music store in ages, i think its about time i went and checked out some new gear. i still say fuck all this "tube in a pedal" shit, its not hard to find a good vintage head, and fender is reissuing a whole bunch of classic amps too.

i think the use of tubes in pedals is cool. i have a tube head and i still would like to experiment with some crazy high voltage tube driven effect unit.

electro harmonix tube zipper:

http://www.turnstyle.com/incubator/customers/ehx/images/Zipper.jpg'>

The Tube Zipper is two effects in one, a warm sounding Tube Envelope Follower and a rich tube Distortion unit. When these two effects are combined into the same circuit the outcome are entirely unique new wild effects. The Tube Zipper uses two premium 12AX7EH vacuum tubes.

it uses tubes as part of the circuit, not necessarily to create a "tube amp in a box" but to color the tone of the filter.

sib echodrive:

http://www.musictoyz.com/echodrivesm2.gif'>

this thing is ghey looking, but...

TUBE DRIVEN ANALOG DELAY

DELAY TIME 1.2 Sec.

DELAY TIME CONTROLLABLE With PEDAL

CLASS "A" HI VOLTAGE TUBE PRE-AMP

HAND WIRED - TRUE BYPASS

HEAVY DUTY STEEL BOX

again, the tubes are used as part of the circuit to add tone. extremely analog and expensive.

tube zipper:$264.95

sib echodrive:$ 399.95... ouch.

the pedals are prolly sensative and tempermental but sound awesome.

Archived