On my travels

Guest imported_b0b

my thoughts (dunno if reviewing TV programs is part of Hip Hop, maybe we could make it the sixth element, after basketball?)...

two thumbs down for Faking It, in my opinion that was a pretty crap representation of "graffin".

choice quote for me (a bumpkin): "you sound like where you're from" -oh dear, someone isn't 'keeping it real'.

and both dubs in that battle at the Scala were wack as fuck. black fill chrome outline - someone tell Oker that these aren't allowed, doesn't he know thats breaking a cardinal rule!

so they watched Style Wars, fair play - presumably they skipped the bits with Sach and his Van Halen t-shirt & blond locks, not Hip Hop enough obviously

and it was nice of them to kit him out in the trendy shit every next man is wearing - the unstoppable rise of the Air Force 1 and its horrible 'limited edition' colourways continues - but for me writing isn't about how you dress: its no more "hoodies and baggies" than it is terrace casual, chav or skateboarder. in fact it can be all of those things and more. if they were helping him to fake looking like a cliche then they succeeded.

thats not to say that, as a writer, you can't be into breaking and dressing like that, but to many people that simply isn't part of the graf culture at all.

of course if he came to stay with me, and we went to the football and listened to British Sea Power, the resulting program wouldn't be what most people expect of graffiti. i understand this is ultimately just a television program, and with graf at its trendiest right now, they had viewers to attract with their Hip Hop idyll. fair enough.

but i think there were parts of this subculture that weren't fully explained - like how it can transcend age, race, gender and class boundries - leaving me slightly disappointed. surely graf isn't about conforming to a stereotype?

whatever, i'm not screwing. i knew all along it weren't gonna change my life or anything. i'm just pissed off that i taped over the Libertines on Jonathan Ross with that shit, haha.

peace

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i didnt think it was very good...some funny moments though..the guy was a prick..but yeah, they did just show a stereotype graffiti writer..and it sucks that they didnt say ANYTHING about illegal graf, after all that is "real" graffiti.

EDIT*well, they showed a few trackside tags at battersea park station..but that was it..

I think the programme was funny. The guy doing it came across as a nice guy, once you got past the poshness. After only being involved in it for a few days he already saw it as an artform, i dont remember his exact words, but that was nice to see.

Guest imported_b0b

Loco, you are making no sense to me, as usual! Can we have subtitles on your posts in future.. Thanks

As for the Faking it.. Well I loved it. Where the fuck did they find him in the first place is what I want to know and how the fuck did he manage to fool them. Even my mum phoned up after the show to ask if I watched it and said his piece was blatantly the worst. As for the "lifestyle" aspect I do agree that you don;t have to look or dress a certain way to be a writer but if you wanted to pass him off as a writer with such weak style you'd have to try and make him "look the part". Think about it, this is probably the first time in years graf has come over well on tv. Loved how the mentor was blatantly blazing throughout the 4 weeks too.

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by El Producto

also, i dont think his peice was the worst...the guy on the far right, with all them shitty arrows was the worst

That was the best one.. When he started I was a bit "wtf is he doing?" but then when he finished I rated it. Some funkiness going on.

Some of the people on the show I could tell you about, but don't reckon any of that should be talked about online, so I won't.

Originally posted by winston

I thought his peice turned out pretty good considering some of the efforts he was up against.

And would it be regarded as bait if I were to ask who the mentor was?

Was it not painfully obvious?! There was even a scene where Posh chops was talking to the camera 'video diary' style and spilt the tag! I think D came out of it really well...top bloke. Must check the store at some point and congratulate him...looks like it was a tough job! Must have been ALOT of behind the scenes tutoring.

Anyone clock the instore work by H**S?...Fresh.

Originally posted by El Producto

also, i dont think his peice was the worst...the guy on the far right, with all them shitty arrows was the worst

nah that was some Helsinki-style next level funk, i definitely rated it. you have to know where he's coming from to appreciate that style. big up the RB's

yeah i agree with DeadPonies, D seemed well safe. can't have been easy for a Kilburn-raised lad to resist clapping the posh fella lol...

Originally posted by b0b

Loco, you are making no sense to me, as usual! Can we have subtitles on your posts in future.. Thanks

As for the Faking it.. Well I loved it. Where the fuck did they find him in the first place is what I want to know and how the fuck did he manage to fool them. Even my mum phoned up after the show to ask if I watched it and said his piece was blatantly the worst. As for the "lifestyle" aspect I do agree that you don;t have to look or dress a certain way to be a writer but if you wanted to pass him off as a writer with such weak style you'd have to try and make him "look the part". Think about it, this is probably the first time in years graf has come over well on tv. Loved how the mentor was blatantly blazing throughout the 4 weeks too.

Too much vintage Top Deck last night bOb...Oh and text me fella! ;)

Originally posted by andy

nah that was some Helsinki-style next level funk, i definitely rated it. you have to know where he's coming from to appreciate that style. big up the RB's

yeah i agree with DeadPonies, D seemed well safe. can't have been easy for a Kilburn-raised lad to resist clapping the posh fella lol...

Helsinki styled Sheffield funk! ;)

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by Locofanclub

Oh and text me fella! ;)

I don't have a mobile at the mo' so that might be hard! Should be back to normal next month.

Archived