ZEPHYR: THE LEGEND THAT WAS AHEAD OF HIS TIME...

ETHREADZNY

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
QOUTE{you are kidding right? if not i want some of what your smokin'....

i dont know if that description fits any one writer.....

dont get me wrong the dude deserves his props but he aint all that. just cause a nigga writes a book and still paints every once in a while you dont need to sweat him like that. he didn't single handedly put NYC on the map.

i personally give more credit to guys like TKID - COPE - hell even PART TDS cause they style at least evoles (which for the kids under 12 means they continue to get better and push the envelope)

but in my humble opinion ZEPH has the same tired ass busted outline he had in 1981

but again i give him props for doing his thing

bem }

i dont see how your logic make sense, he hasnt been rockin the same busted out line all his career, hes knows how to twist bend stretch change flip and kick his letters, the man deserves more respect then your givin him, he didnt single handedly put nyc on the map ill admit that, but hes one of the reasons its so recognized, him and revolt have been killin shit since the early 70's and zeph is still killin it, revolt still dabble's, point being give respect where its deserved and stop hatin on history, hes a king and no one cane deni that, just look at the thread, take a lesson from him

time cia mta out soon

it makes perfect sense. every single flix in this thread looks exactly the same.

no one is hatin on history. i know my history thats how come i can speak on it. as i stated before i give him respect for doing his thing. no one is tryin to take that from him. but for you to say that his style has evoled would be a straight fantasy on your behalf. niggas got the same tired style he's been rockin since the 70's (nothing wrong with that if that is your cup of tea) please read what i said before making ridiculous statements like "he's kill it"

bem ktc mpc cia top imok allstars

no need for lessons

i'm no johnny come lately, i was there

problem is there seems to be a slight misunderstanding of the age old concept of style. Now - the argument can be made: "but in my humble opinion ZEPH has the same tired ass busted outline he had in 1981" and I agree – to a degree. Zeph has done the same outline, or a variation of the same outline, since that time. But one that’s not entirely true. He has fliped it up on several occasions – then and now. And two – calling that one outline tired and busted – well that’s a matter of opinion as you said, but I think that one outline is pretty fucking sick. Far from tired and busted. Even seeing it 1000 times doesn’t get tired – not to me. What Zeph has is style – his own style. Influences? Obviously – but still unique enough to stand out as “Zephyr’s style” and in a culture where uniqueness matters most, but is yet the most scarce, I think Zephyr has pretty much hit the mark. Zephyr, with that outline, or better yet – with that style, has forged for himself world wide acclaim and praise, and has done what very very few have managed to do in this culture. That is create a style that is unique and identifiable no matter what word he paints and no matter how far away it is. You will know a Zephyr piece when you see it.

“Pushing the envelop” is just a cliché, a lame one at that. Pushing the envelope is part of why MC’s are now rappers. Pushing the envelop is why so many old writers new graffiti doesn’t hold a torch to the shit they did on transit, and for the ones I know personally – they agree.

like you bem, i was there, and saw Zephyr and Gold pieces running on the 2s and 5s. and now, i see Zepyr pieces running on the freights. And in a world of envelope pushers and trend chasers, its refreshing to see someone still make their graff look like it did when i was coming up. its gives me a sense hope to know that in a time when the prize goes to the motherfucker who does the best tricks with a liquitex cap and fancy paint that Zephyr still does it dirty and grimey with graffiti funk style that is made for trains. it gives me hope because i know that we havent completely lost our beloved culture to fine art. it still has some identity.

*dont confuse this comment with hating on people doing graffiti influenced art to make dough. writers who paid dues making mioney off of graff is the greatest thing since harbor blue rusto, but thats another discussion for another time*

To boot, Zeph is still a monster on steel. Not sure where you are getting your info but this cat still, I mean ass recent as yesterday, still has a relentless appetite for steel, and illegal graffiti in general. Who else has been writing, I mean writing – not legal walls and productions – which he refuses to do I might add – since the 1970s. Zephyr or “the Zephyr style” is an icon because he has retained it, in its pure form, since the beginning. So where you see “running the same busted ass outline since 1981” I see someone that has made a name for himself through years of dedication and putting uniqueness of style at the forefront of his identity. i know what you are saying, i read your post so im not trying to take you out of context. i acknowledge that you give him his due. i just find it hard to grasp that someone - especially you - would have anything slighted to say about this dude. but its your opinion and i respect it.

most of the shit he does looks to be his signature logo style of piecing or his soft letter style throwups. other than that it's probably just his own adlibed style or it's a unique outline of it's own.

everyone develops their style to a certain point where they feel most comfortable at. you can't knock on the man for doing that.

it makes perfect sense. every single flix in this thread looks exactly the same.

no one is hatin on history. i know my history thats how come i can speak on it. as i stated before i give him respect for doing his thing. no one is tryin to take that from him. but for you to say that his style has evoled would be a straight fantasy on your behalf. niggas got the same tired style he's been rockin since the 70's (nothing wrong with that if that is your cup of tea) please read what i said before making ridiculous statements like "he's kill it"

bem ktc mpc cia top imok allstars

no need for lessons

i'm no johnny come lately, i was there

Not for nothing but would'nt putting up CIA & MPC next your tag be a conflict of interest? Two crews that had the biggest war on the MTA period.

I can't believe there is even a discussion about whether Zephyr is good or not! come on!!! I can understand when this type of critique happens with writers of my generation, we deserve to be challanged and critiqued but this is ZEPHYR!! in a lot of ways his Wildstyle piece at rocksteady park is another one of those classic 80's images that excited and allured me into this game and that isn't even touching on what he's done inside and outside of the trains. His style DOES evolve and yet retains that good solid Zephyr structure. What more could you want from the dude?

LEGEND.

• 3 months later...
Not for nothing but would'nt putting up CIA & MPC next your tag be a conflict of interest? Two crews that had the biggest war on the MTA period.

some times time can make the pity shit look like it really is..

other than a few old hard heads, the older dudes have made peace somewhat..

shit I had a burner with mpc hooked up in harlem up with Shame & Bio TAT back in the day..

When you look at lot writers there a quite a few who seem to follow or stick to a certain style maybe its an age thing or they feel comfortable with there style, rather than push and develop new styles like they did when they started out.

Archived