the media is completly out of hand....(the dc sniper case and things of that nature)

boogie hands

Guest --zeSto--

just FYI...

There's a relatively new law that states that criminals can profit from their stories.

The law was built around the Son of Sam wanting to publish memoires.

* I guess my irony doesn't translate so well into the world of typed characters.

So any profit from Serial Killer (etc.) biographies must go to the victims,

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BROWNer

tough question..

cnn admitted it hired psyops personnel during

the gulf war, but also said with a straight face

they were there 'off duty'....

as for 'facts' and 'opinion's, definitely you have

to be keen to whats being broadcast...another

thing i find troubling is what i call 'implied fact'..

its not conclusive, but hey, its just about as good,

so we'll air it anyhow. news is increasingly becoming

a dangerous social engineering tool....mass opinions

are formed with a constant blitzkrieg of the same

info, pounded into peoples heads day after day..and

there are a shit load of models in media history as

to why this is dangerous.

i've also noticed that certain organizations will

publish a story that is sculpted around some

unnamed 'official's succinct little comment.....

i find it bizarre, you have so many stories these

days all presented as fact by some unnamed

official..to me this is a good way to pass off

the info as indisputable......if some gov. official

says its true, hey, it must be!

how can you know whats what?

you can't.

pertinent info is a must, but in this sniper shit,

i agree with boogie, its kind of irresponsible

to be giving out road block stop info and stuff..

good points.. think about this tho.. if he media just STOPPED covering him one day... he would go so mad. so ballistic.. hed go on a spree and fuck up somehow... so im saying.. if the media one day just stopped.. and acted like nothing has happened at al.. and give this guy no coverage.. hed flip.. get sloppy.. and get caught.. heh just a thought

Originally posted by --zeSto--

just FYI...

There's a relatively new law that states that criminals ***can*** profit from their stories.

The law was built around the Son of Sam wanting to publish memoires.

* I guess my irony doesn't translate so well into the world of typed characters.

So any profit from Serial Killer (etc.) biographies must go to the victims,

I think that should read can't, Zes ..

Originally posted by Fryre Dekoy

good points.. think about this tho.. if he media just STOPPED covering him one day... he would go so mad. so ballistic.. hed go on a spree and fuck up somehow... so im saying.. if the media one day just stopped.. and acted like nothing has happened at al.. and give this guy no coverage.. hed flip.. get sloppy.. and get caught.. heh just a thought

I see some validity in this point. Probably take more than a day to make him make a major mistake.

and yet here we all are bashing the media....and yet how else should we be informed?

what if the media in this case and its round the clock covergae, with the arrests last night, actually aided in the arrest of the culprit??

afterall the press conference, notice the word press, was held at 1230...and subsequently the possible culprit was found shortly there after....

doubleedgeswords.......

Guest --zeSto--

good find browner

"The US' 17th place was lowered because of the number of journalists arrested for refusing to reveal their sources, the report says. "

im still loving the sweet irony of how at one point i bash the media for disabling people and forcing them to lock the doors with information overload and yet at the same time enabling the people with information which led to the arrests within an hour....i swear you just cant make this shit up.........

• 1 year later...

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (Nov. 24) - Jurors decided Monday that John Allen Muhammad should be executed for masterminding the deadly sniper attacks that terrorized the Washington area for three weeks last fall.

As the verdict was read, Muhammad maintained the same unflinching demeanor he had shown through most of his trial. The jury deliberated five hours over two days before reaching the verdict against Muhammad, a 42-year-old Army veteran who had asked police to ''Call me God'' during the October 2002 spree.

Jurors had convicted him of murder a week ago and then heard testimony in the sentencing phase.

The jury's sentencing recommendation is not final. Circuit Judge LeRoy F. Millette Jr. can reduce the punishment to life in prison without parole when Muhammad is formally sentenced, but Virginia judges rarely do that. Sentencing was set for Feb. 12.

The jury concluded that prosecutors proved both aggravating factors allowing the death penalty: that Muhammad would pose a danger in the future or that his crimes were wantonly vile. He was sentenced to death on both counts he was convicted of last Monday: multiple murders within three years and murder as part of a terrorist plot.

''As we said from the get-go, the death penalty is reserved for the worst of the worse,'' prosecutor Paul Ebert said. ''We think Mr. Muhammad fell into that category and we think the jury agreed.''

The jury also recommended the maximum sentences of 10 years in prison for conspiracy to murder and three years for using a firearm in a felony.

When Muhammad and his teenage co-defendant, Lee Boyd Malvo, were arrested on Oct. 24, 2002, several jurisdictions scrambled to prosecute them. Attorney General John Ashcroft decided to send them to Virginia to stand trial, citing the state's ability to impose ''the ultimate sanction.''

Only Texas has executed more people than Virginia since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976 - 310 to 89. Virginia is one of 21 states that allow the execution of inmates who committed capital crimes as 16- and 17-year-olds. Malvo was 17 at the time of the shootings.

During the sentencing phase of the trial, defense lawyers sought to portray Muhammad as a caring family man, showing jurors a home movie in which he played with his children and encouraged them to take their first steps. Several witnesses also testified he had a loving relationship with his kids.

But prosecutor James Willett said ''that person no longer exists.''

''He doesn't care about children, human life or anything else God put on this earth except himself,'' Willett said Thursday as he urged jurors to give Muhammad a death sentence.

Willett said Muhammad may have been a good father once, but ''that person no longer exists. ... That person was murdered by this individual just as viciously and just as completely as everybody else.''

The defense was barred from presenting any mental health evidence on Muhammad's behalf, because Muhammad refused to be interviewed by the prosecutors' psychiatrist. The defense had previously suggested Muhammad may have suffered from Gulf War syndrome, and his ex-wife said that Muhammad's behavior was much different after he returned from Operation Desert Storm.

Prosecutors earlier depicted Muhammad as a ruthless murderer who was ''captain of a killing team,'' and they presented evidence of 16 shootings, including 10 deaths, in Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, Louisiana and the District of Columbia.

Muhammad was found guilty of killing Dean Harold Meyers, a 53-year-old Vietnam veteran who was cut down by a single bullet to the head on Oct. 9, 2002, as he filled his tank at a Manassas-area gas station.

Malvo is on trial in nearby Chesapeake for killing FBI analyst Linda Franklin, 47, outside a Home Depot store in Fairfax County on Oct. 14, 2002.

Prosecutors offered no proof that showed Muhammad was the triggerman, but they presented a mountain of circumstantial evidence linking him to the crimes. His DNA was found on the .223-caliber rifle used in the killings, and prosecutors said a laptop computer found in his car included maps of six shooting scenes, each marked with skull-and-crossbones icons.

Meanwhile, in Chesapeake, a judge ruled Monday that jurors in Malvo's trial will be allowed to hear the remainder of a recorded interview with police in which the teenager bragged about his marksmanship

Jurors on Friday had heard four audiotapes of the interview, conducted by a Fairfax homicide detective, but defense attorneys objected to a fifth tape of the end of the interview, contending the sound quality was so poor that the transcript was inaccurate.

Circuit Judge Jane Marum Roush said Monday she listened to the tape ''many, many times'' during the weekend and was satisfied that the transcript is accurate. She said prosecutors could play the tape and let the jury read the transcript.

In the interviews, Malvo admitted pulling the trigger in all the shootings, bragged about his shooting prowess and explained the sniper plan by weaving together the philosophical, logistical and nonsensical.

In the tapes played for Malvo's jury Friday, he at times sounded childlike and vulnerable, as when he asks police about the whereabouts of his ''father,'' Muhammad, and if he could have raisins. At other times he sounded maniacal and savvy, as when he imitated a lawnmower noise while describing the deadly shooting of a landscaper, and later chided detectives for asking him a ''leading question.''

Archived