the media is completly out of hand....(the dc sniper case and things of that nature)

boogie hands

from what ive seen its obviously been a while since there has been any real discussion and since my girl and myself had this discussion today ill run it by you guys....

should the media have a set of boundaries?? on one hand you have something that makes america great...freedom of the press...then on the other hand you also have situations where the media makes a situatuion worse or even, in the worst case, leaks information that shouldnt be broadcast. ive been noticing how harmful the media has been during this sniper fiasco. for instance...does the media really need to broadcast the fact that the police are putting up check points along 95 to find the DC sniper? probably not but hey, if they are the first people on that story that will notch up the cost of advertising by at least a few thousand dollars!!! its seems to me a lot more could be accomplished if the media would keep theyre mouths closed and let certain agencies do theyre jobs instead of giving everyone in america the heads up on what prevenative mesures are being taken to put a stop to the situation. in this sniper case i really have to take my hat off to charles moose for keeping things under wrap in order to get the job done...it nice to see someone who cares more about the people than making the 6 oclock news. im getting off on a little rant here but the question is, is freedom of the press becoming more harmful than good in these situations? i watched cnn for a bit tonight and i have to tell you it came across not as informative but as entertainment, which i was a bit disgusted by. im tired of seeing tragedy turned into entertainment for white trash reality tv watching peices of shit....there needs to be some boundaries....its a fucking circus and im 99% sure in situations like these the media does more harm that good....

this is scattered, i know, but id like to see some input...

is media helping to bring awarness or simply exploiting events for the sake of being "first on the scene", while simultaniously broadcasting key information thats making law enforcements job that much harder...

shoot...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no offense but there isnt a reason to argue about it cuz nothing can be changed the bill of rights and the constitution were so vaguely written in its time that its suprisingly easy to manipulate it for generations to come....for any manner any reason any way....but lifes a bitch then you wake up next to a toilet and realize this is all a dream..

the media are all vultures scanning anything for prey and eanything to exploit and then just fucking make a circus out of it...granted its a right and the people love it and we all deserve to get in on the know....but jesus christ where do they get these fucks working for em? there horrible sometimes, completely retarded and 99% of the time seem to be fucking lacking of any common sense what so ever(esp. in this case right now)

anyways yeah im kinda fed up with them....

Guest fr8lover

the media doesnt seem to realize the harm they do in situations like this. as a deaf dumb and blind kid i used to ogle the news as if it were a credible source of information. i used to think they were doing us a service by bringing all of this stuff to our attention and following stories by getting as much information as possible.

now i see its all bullshit.

as in everything MONEY is the prime factor for news outlets. we get more coverage, we get more dough. simple as that. as much as they tell you they care and have empathy for victims in any situation they dont, its all dollar signs to them.

im sure big media is PRAYING this dude continues to kill so they get more viewers and more money for ads. once they do get the guy then they will dive into the "LOOKING BACK ON THE DC SNIPER: WHAT HIS 4TH GRADE TEACHER THOUGHT OF HIM" bullshit and milk that for as much as they can get.

tv is lying to you kids straight to your faces but we watch it anyway, be it out of valid care for whats going on or morose interest.

think about it like this. if you live a fruitful happy life nbc aint getting anything out of you so you dont matter. if you get gunned down by a sniper, CHA CHING youre short life is making bank for some rich cat swilling brandy and smoking a cuban in his penthouse sweet.

aint it grand?

the only thing i support is law enforcement using the media as a communication tool which of course is fucking common sense again...but yet cnn seems to fucking think there special that there in the middle of it...whatever off the point but to continue speculatinog, glorifying any part of it (him being a coward, or him being a badass trained miliatary gi joe etc..yacka yacka..) is just stupid, everyone knows this person is at home completely wrapped up in this. like he said they just need to tone this shit down and not fucking act like there the criminal experts in this.

Originally posted by SHELLTOES

yeah. the media is blowing shit up. the shooter is gettin a kick out of it all. hes gettin high off the fame. if there wasnt so much coverage, id guarantee he'd be caught by now

either that or hed realize that he isnt being heard and try a different manner of doing thigs.......gotta appreciate variety

Guest socrates

I think everything that doesn't involve a phone # or address should be made public, this guy has been doing this shit for 20 days now and we know two things he like guns and can't make a good english sentence, that describes 80% of the NBA. No prints No cars No witness. This guy is goos and the only way to hope to prevent more killings is publisize everything he sends them, he's crazy and smart so if he tells you not to tell the press or he will kill people, guess what....he's still gonna go kill people he doesn't actually care about what we do he know he can't do it forever and he will lead them on enough wild goose chases to get his numbers up so that he will be remembered forever...Gun Control at it's finest...

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by socrates

I think everything that doesn't involve a phone # or address should be made public, this guy has been doing this shit for 20 days now and we know two things he like guns and can't make a good english sentence, that describes 80% of the NBA.

Hell, criminals have been using the media to their advantage for awhile. If I was a terrorist I would be taking notes from CNN and the newspapers. I never even would have considered the threat of dirty bombs and attacking the food and water supplys till CNN brought it up.

Another thing, noticehow the sniper moved farther away from the DC area when it was reported that a militray survailence(sp?) plane was patroling the imediate DC area. Next thing you know, he goes to Ashland, this guy isn't an idiot he probably watches the news before he goes out to kill.

Hell I kept the news on this morning and listened to them report the same thing over and over for 6 hours, pretty much the only update they had was if a local officer was scracthing his ass.

and dont get me started on the whole anthrax fiasco

there's a line in waking life about this... something like: the purpose of the media has never been to inform, but to acclimatize the masses. i know that isn't how it goes in the movie.. but the main point being the media's intent has never been information.

if it was.. why are they always reporting things which haven't been confirmed yet? this was most obvious on 9/11... they were reporting anything they could get.. and they would of course use jouralistic qualifications like "this hasn't been confirmed yet, but..." well if it hasn't been confirmed, what fucking good is it to anybody reporting it?

i'm actually really surprised with how they blow things up that we aren't seeing copy cat sniper events across the country. or maybe i just haven't given it enough time yet.

but then at the same time.. freedom of press. if the government puts restrictions on what is/isn't allowed to be aired on the news (let's assume explicit restrictions and save the conspiracy theories for another thread) then who decides this and where do they/we/whoever draw the line? a muted media to me is just as scary as an out of control media.

so this is a pretty big predicament, but i think that decentralization of the media could possibly solve this. ten companies control virtually all media in this country. if this oligopoly is effectively broken up with restrictions put in place to prevent a new one from forming, and if airwaves are given back to the people via government grants to create public media (unlike the joke it is now e.g. public access tv), then the focus on advertising money (and thus high ratings) is essentially eliminated. the thing i love the most about this (idealistic at best, unrealistic at worst) approach is that the relentless commercial advertisement bludgeoning of the american people through all forms of media will decrease exponentially. commercial hype will die, perhaps there's a chance that "informational" hype will decrease too so that news will be reduced to information. journalistic integrity will become practice as opposed to theory taught to journalism majors. because really, i think that's at the heart of this issue... journalistic integrity. what do you report? what do you not report? etc.

there's a really incredible article by robert mcchesney about this which i take most of my arguments from called "making media democratic":

http://bostonreview.mit.edu/BR23.3/mcchesney.html

there was a reply that said that there is nothing that can be done, fuck that, i dont know about yall but should'nt everybody on this site be a writer, yet most on this channel zero thread are fucking pussies, go and fucking destroy shit, you got beef with a news channel, go to their fucking headquarters and fucking bomb the shit, not only that, throw a fucking molotov through the window, you got beef with a fucking toy, cut his pinky off and make him eat it, you got beef with a cop, follow the fucker to his house and give him a message, be fucking destructive man, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, do something, just fucking do something.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

NOTICE HOW THE MEDIA WENT AROUND OPENLY INSULTING THE SNIPER...SAYING HIS SHOTS WERE PROBABLY LUCKY AND THAT HE WAS AN INNEXPERIANCED SNIPER?? THEN THE NEXT DAY HE CAPS SOME FOOL IN THE HEAD!! hes a sav though

Guest SMUGGLER RSH

Yes the media only care about $$$$$$$$. Some thinga they report are informative....But shit like this sniper case is just information grabbing from people who want to be one minute wanders....This sniper may not be smart but he has enough sense to listen to the crap the media are saying and learn where not to fuck up.....

Guest cool christ

I'M FEELING THE SNIPER

HE'S DEFINITELY COMING OFF BIG TIME...

I PERSONALLY THINK WITH ALL THAT DRIVE AND FOCUS HE SHOULD BE BLASTING ON SOMEBODY WORTHWHILE, BUT HE'S DOING HIM...

I'M JUST WAITING FOR HIM TO BUCK ON ONE OF THOSE PRESS CONFERENCES WHILE IT'S BEING TELEVISED...

Guest imported_Tesseract

I feel you on the question Boogie...here they caught a terrorist group that was free and active for 27 years..You can imagine what a fucking media party that was, still is actually. We learned everyfuckin detail about the terrorists, what cologne did they wear, what toilet paper they prefer and apart from all these details harmfull pieces of information that made police's work harder and victims feel totaly disrespected.

The issue you're bringing has been talked here in full rotaion the last 4 months. As far as i'm concerned, limits are no good. We have reached a point where crime and press have developed the same tactics, one learning from the other. I cant really tell what would be best in general but personally speaking i stopped watching TV. I only watch channels and selective journalists that in my opinion are serious and responsible.

I sometimes watch CNN and i gotta tell you, even if it doesnt speak about my country, i'm disgusted with the cheapness...the sum of all is that people in general are stupid, or dont have the balls to be smarter..

Guest imported_Tesseract

CNN is responsible for poor bad use not for people watching it......

the sum of all is that people in general are stupid, or dont have the balls to be smarter..

I know people that cant stand them self when they turn off the TV,

thats the saddest of all

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dunno dude, like all europeans i rarely watch it. Mostly to hear stuff about the states, but i dont recieve any other american channel so its oneway...

Why do you think people in the states watch it?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

hmmmmmmm

i think people watch it because it can be the most up to the minute info source, but i think people should take it with a grain of salt, and be able to seperate fact from opinion.

i think as far as their role, it all comes down to $. these 24 hour news programs are so sensationalistic and crave and feed off of any news event. the bigger fury they can whip a story up to, the more they get people to stay tuned, the more info they can scoop and translates to money. advertising. people can be stuck between a rock and a hard place. where else can i turn to for breaking news? guerilla.com is awesome, butnot for upto the minute or late breaking news. but dont get me started about the government and DOD planting people in CNN to influence what stories and reporters are heard...

i read a decent article in the train this morning, talking about how the sniper could be watching these shows and listening to these "experts" to refine his "skills". they say he only kills at certain times, he changes the times. they say he doesnt shoot kids, he clips a kid. they say he doesnt kill on weekends, he kills on weekends. they say he wont go back to the original place of the shhotings, he goes back to where he started. interesting...

Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

hmmmmmmm

i think people watch it because it can be the most up to the minute info source, but i think people should take it with a grain of salt, and be able to seperate fact from opinion.

so far i havent found any source of clean, reliable news (national public radio is about as close as it get which unfortunatly i dont get a chance to listen to that often) so im basically stuck watching this garbage and picking through it to find the credible information that they base all the sensationalism around.....

Guest --zeSto--

items stolen from a Michael Moore Interview I saw last weekend.

(just points to ponder)

-The rate of violent crimes in America is at it's lowest point in 3 years,

but the ammount of News Coverage is up 600% over the same time span.

-Child abductions is at a 5 year low, but that's all the news media covered during the summer.

And that simply creates a sence of fear where it doesn't need to be.

now for a zesto perspective....

So who does this affect most?

The bored house wives who first started watching CNN during the OJ trial

and trust that as the definative news source. People who dont actually want

to know about the news, they just rely on it as sensational entertainment.

and my big one....

How many hours of American news coverage has gone towards the sniper?

Tousands? Tens of Thousands? All over 20 deaths.

Well what about that little Aids crisis in Affrica? 20 million deaths, and no breaking headlines on CNN.

And now, this breaking news report on something.

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/10/23/Columns/...s_breakin.shtml

No, as a matter of fact, I am NOT trying to be funny at a time like this.

ANCHOR: Now, this breaking news. Something has reportedly happened. Details are sketchy, and we really don't have any idea of what it might be, but let's show these impressive aerial shots from our helicopter. Now let's go to our correspondent in the field to tell us that he doesn't know anything. Bob?

CORRESPONDENT: Paula? I'm sorry, I couldn't really hear you, but let me say that out here we really have no idea of what's going on. But my sources tell me that something definitely has happened. All I can say is that we'll find out as soon as possible. In the meantime, everybody should stay tuned to CNN.

ANCHOR: Thank you. As you can see, CNN sources now are confirming to CNN that something has, indeed, happened. For further analysis on this, let's go to CNN's consulting criminologist. Doctor, what does this tell you about the character of the perpetrator?

CRIMINOLOGIST: Of course, it is too early to know what this something might be, but in any case I would say that clearly, this is a disturbed individual. I would say this is a cry for attention, if not for help.

ANCHOR: Is it possible that we are talking about someone who might be, say, watching CNN at this very minute?

CRIMINOLOGIST: Doubtlessly so.

ANCHOR: We understand now that the police chief is having his briefing. Let's go there live.

CHIEF: I am here to say, I have nothing to say.

REPORTERS: Tell us all the secret things that you don't want to tell us.

CHIEF: That would jeopardize the case.

REPORTERS: Here, let us ask a bunch of speculative questions that still mean, tell us anyway.

CHIEF: No. Next briefing in 15 minutes.

ANCHOR: We'll be right back.

(Cut to CNN commercial showing clips from political talk show.)

WHINY DEMOCRAT: There's no doubt in my mind this sniper is a Republican.

SMUG REPUBLICAN: Clearly he is a product of Clinton-Democrat degeneracy.

ANNOUNCER: Hear the issues discussed in depth, six times nightly, on CNN.

(Back to broadcast)

ANCHOR: And now here's a roundup of other news. There's war with Iraq, the midterm elections for control of Congress, a reeling economy, forgotten corporate scandals and the World Series. Okay, that covers that. Now back to our round-the-clock coverage. Wait a minute . . . we're hearing now that there might be a new fact in the case.

(Crawl across bottom of screen: NEW FACT IN CASE...)

ANCHOR: Let's go back to Bob in the field. Bob?

CORRESPONDENT: That's right, Paula, sources are now telling CNN that something definitely has happened. They're urging the public to stay calm, but, honestly, I don't see any basis for that kind of statement.

ANCHOR: All right. We have confirmation that, indeed, something has happened. After this break, we'll be going to our panel of CNN experts from the Institute of People Who Talk On Television For A Living. And be sure to tune in tonight to Larry King Live, where Larry will talk about the day's events with John Walsh and Carrot Top.

It's me talking for real now.

Here is my idea, which I hope my friends in radio and other local media will support: Let's stop watching cable news during this ridiculous orgy of speculative coverage.

I'm not saying we should ignore these terrible events. Watch your regular local news on our broadcast stations. Check out the Internet, if you'd like. Am I leaving out anything here? Oh, yeah. Read the paper. Or don't.

But don't reward this idiocy any more. For a brief, shining few days, let's give the cable news networks the lowest ratings of any major metropolitan market in the nation.

A sniper on the loose, a nation on edge. Count on CNN to bring you the whole story. Now, more than ever!

-- Actual CNN promotion

Archived