Wanted: Knowledge about VIN numbers

paperlabels

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I knew this was going to happen when I saw that post go up.

That dude was talking about TRAIN numbers, not CAR numbers. Every railroad has a name or number for each job that runs. Some RRs use all letters, some all numbers, and some mixed. For example I've seen something like MNPHKO, where M means something I don't know, NP stands for North Platte, HK is for Hinkle, Oregon, and O stands for something else, like what the train consists of (intermodals, mixed freight, high priority, whatever). All I can decipher from this is that the train is going to run from North Platte to Hinkle, I don't know the rest. Other RRs might use numbers as codes for origin, destination, consist, and level of priority, such as 959320, and I have no idea which digits mean what.

I don't use this info for painting freights - I'm more interested in car numbers than train numbers. I don't know why anyone is interested in this stuff, it's just boring RR paperwork-type shit.

thanks cracked ass.

just curious about this stuff because i paint mostly at layup yards and the cars sit for a while and then roll. just wondering how i could tell which ones were leaving my state and which ones are dead or dormant. some lines sit there for months. they are moderately hit up, mostly west coast and upper north west. alot of texas too. i paint them anyways i dont care really, just painting whats there.

I heard most hoppers dont get out my state much.. is this true?

but who knows... that hopper with the 11 bodies was posted up here for a while and it was from mexico and then went to iowa.

...if you ask me knowing a train number is basically pointless for painting, i mean most of the time if you're hitting layups then the cars aren't part of a "train" yet anyway, they're just sitting around waiting. I have found however that it is pretty nice to have this info while benching to see where things are coming from, but it isn't always easy to get this info...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived