Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KaBar

SURVIVAL LIFE SKILLS 101

Yoshy

I'm not sure if I can actually answer your question, because I'm not sure it is answerable. There is definately a risk-taking element to writing graffitti, and i agree, that's definately part of the fun of it. I am mostly interested in trainhopping, and only interested in graf as a side issue, but I definately can see how a little adventureous risk-taking can add a lot to it. However--if one had to damage the railroad in some way to ride trains, it would be a lot harder to justify. I think of trainhopping much in the same way that I think of parachuting off of tall buildings and bridges and towers and whatnot. Yes, it is tresspassing, but it doesn't damage the tower for some crazy parachutist to jump off of it.

Hitting somebody's personal property is not cool. In fact, it's dangerous as hell. Down here you could definately get shot, although I've never heard of that happening. I think that graffitti writers should have rules, just like the rest of the world, and one of them should be no hitting residences or residential neighborhoods. But, realistically, plenty of graff writers enjoy vandalizing people's property too much to stop, and so the public hates graff and, in general, writers too.

Areas of the city where there is no social cohesion and where the people have no personal investment in their environment are places where local people could probably not care less if somebody writes graff all over. But in a neighborhood where the people that live there own their own homes, anybody doing vandalism is taking a serious ass risk. Would you go down to the local hang-out and hit somebody's ride? That's the reaction one can expect--murderous indignation.

Those people own those houses. They bought them, they worked hard to earn the money to pay for them, and they will very likely defend them. To hit them with graff is every bit as serious a moral transgression as racism, sexism, etc. It's extremely disrespectful and in the state of Texas during the hours of darkness, any vandal is fair game. These laws were written specifically to stop criminal mischief by the Ku Klux Klan in 1876, and they are still valid and still on the books. Writing on somebody's house is like burning a cross in their yard. You're really asking for it, to do that. And judges down here take the exact same viewpoint of criminal mischief, regardless of the motivation. Some idiot who spray paints "Rollin' 60's Hoover Crips" on somebody's home is exactly the same kind of person who would light a cross in front of that home, and in Court, will get a comparable sentence. But worst of all, it generates deep-down hatred for anybody the offended home owner identifies as probable vandals. When you fuck with somebody's home, you are setting things into motion that you have no idea about. It's a real bad idea. I say don't do it.

Hitting property like freeway overpasses or warehouses or abandoned buildings is much less likely to cause such outrage and anger.

People who write on banks or large corporations, trying to make a statement, are creating less of a problem. But institutions like schools or churches, mosques or synagogues should definately be off limits, because hitting them causes people to be furious about it.

I know very well that a whole series of people will post and say "FUCK school! Hell, yeah, I'm gonna write there and tell them how much they suck!" All I can say is that when these guys get caught, they'll be the first ones to whine and cry about how unfair it all is, and how the Court is being so cruel and vindictive. I wouldn't expect mercy, because the rest of society sees graffitti as a serious problem, especially gang tagging. Those people that get caught can expect to get punished pretty hard. I know a couple of people that got both fines and public service out of tagging.

Guest --zeSto--

hey kabar... and retort to my 'no dad' point ?

If this is a "survival" post someone should drop some definitive ghetto knowledge--how to get by on a loaf of bread, 3 boxes of spaghetti and a racked stock-pile of grape kool-aid. Shit like that.

Guest --zeSto--

ok...

If you've got to make soup out of stolen ketchup and hotsauce packets, dont forget to add lots of black pepper.

Buy day old muffins, but never day old donuts, they dont have the shelf life.

on laundry day... you can easuly swipe those soap pucks out of a machine before they dissolve.

No body's going to notice that they didn't get any soap until after the clothes dry.

Rice is super cheap to buy and those same free packets of hot sauce will add a great bit of flavor.

Zesto

You got a right to your opinion, bro. I'm not trying to disrespect anybody's mother. My beef is with the biological fathers of all these kids, who got the mom pregnant, but are not standing up and taking responsibility for their actions.

It's not every man. It's not even every father of a baby who ain't "married/ hooked up/ living with" the mom. Lots of men who father kids out of wedlock still do right. They come see the kid, they support the kid, they act like a father should act.

But plenty don't, too. They act like toys--no responsibility, no loyalty, no maturity. Twenty-five years old and has the emotional maturity of a twelve-year-old. I got no respect for a "boy" that won't stand up like a man and discharge his responsibility to his own blood. The same guy that will leave his own little baby hungry and unprotected to the World talks tons of shit about respect.

REAL MEN LOVE THEIR CHILDREN.

Pussy ass punks ditch their girl when she's pregnant.

If he doesn't have what it takes to be a DADDY, then he needs to keep his wee-wee in his panties.

For the most part, the mothers do the best they can under trying circumstances, but if she gets pregnant by a guy that doesn't act like a stand-up man, she's already fucked up her part of the deal--by sleeping with a gutless, disloyal punk loser to START WITH. Her job is to PICK A WINNER. That means A MAN WORTHY OF RESPECT. And I am NOT talking about some idiot with a pistol and a stupid attitude.

These men that refuse to stand up and take responsibility are killing their children with their bullshit. The boys are running the streets thinking you have to be a heartless monster to be a man, and the little girls are thinking that no man will ever love them--her OWN DADDY didn't even love her enough to see that she had enough to eat.

It's destroying us. Our Nation is DYING because of this shit. The message is clear as a bell---Don't make no babies unless you want to BE A DADDY.

I don't know what to tell you, Zesto. I'm sick of living in a world where gutless, disloyal assholes are permitted to fuck up the lives of innocent children. The men that act like this are less than dirt. NO EXCUSES. A man worthy of the name TAKES CARE OF HIS OWN. A man is a provider and a protector. He leads his family. He teaches his children. He serves as an admirable example. He acts as a man is supposed to act. That should be crystal clear to everyone, and yet---the world is full of "playas." It makes me want to hurt some motherfuckers.

Guest duffman

"A man that cant spend time with his family can never be a real man..." - Godfather

Yea since a lot of my problems earlier in life were directed from an asshole dad I could of passed on that shit. I'm a man now and no longer can I say its not my fault I'm on drugs or don't work or am abusive. I kept my art and college as a goal always.Even though at some points I was no where near accomplishing them. I had enough sense and luck when feds raided my crib and my friends were junkies (now 10 years later half are dead at least) to change and know that I wanted more outta life. I deserved more then the whole stoner loser psychology of -"Well if it doesn't happen then it wasn't met to be," is bullshit. A couple things kept me aware of what I was doing. If your the 4th person out of 3 losers/drug addicts/convict(whatever) your guaranteed to be the forth. Keep reasonable goals and accomplish them. Don't focus on things you cant change. I still get high sometimes but I have a career and college education and bunch of other shit I wouldn't have if I kept running with my caps and dope crew of 1992.Fuck quitting and letting the bad hand and your demons win. Fuck that! Some people have rougher stories then others but that makes you tougher. Being open minded and understanding all views of your and family/friends mistakes can help you. Don't be pussy and let life beat you. Suicide is low and selfish.

good post kabar.. on a side note.. why would you be in the desert and have a coffee can and saran wrap.. i mean jesus what are the chances of that happening.... i would reply with some half-assed intelligent reply to the actual topic... but i have a headache

Guest --zeSto--

nice kabar!

When you first said 'no dad',

it seemed more like disrespect to the child.

It seemed like you were implying that without a 'real man' father,

a child can not learn the important lessons of life.

On your reply to my reply,

you made the point a lot more clear.

Irresponsible 'boys' have no place making babies.

I completely agree with you on this one!

I know from my experience that a woman can teach a child to be a good man.

I just wanted to be sure that your first 'no dad' coment didn't imply otherwise.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

nice kabar!

When you first said 'no dad',

it seemed more like disrespect to the child.

It seemed like you were implying that without a 'real man' father,

a child can not learn the important lessons of life.

On your reply to my reply,

you made the point a lot more clear.

Irresponsible 'boys' have no place making babies.

I completely agree with you on this one!

I know from my experience that a woman can teach a child to be a good man.

I just wanted to be sure that your first 'no dad' coment didn't imply otherwise.

AGREED!

hehe my old mans a toy...wherever he is, at least i neve had to meet his sorry ass

Guest DMX

-ride your bike around the city every day.

- never talk to anybody.

- do whatever drugs you can get your hands on. just don't pay money for them.

- read lots of literature.

- steal everything.

- try your hardest to refrain form talking about yourself.

- make a point of crashing at somebody else's house whenever you can. (this one goes hand in hand with riding you bike around the city. otherwise is's pretty pointless.)

- laugh at yourself and your pathetic life.

- only make friends with people that you have nothing in common with.

- realize that nothing is as important as it seems.

- don't be mean to people.

- eat sushi alot.

- admire yourself in the mirror for hours.

- assume that things will get worse for you before they get better.

- don't get any piercings or tattoos if you're a guy. they look stupid, trust me.

- don't grow long curly hair either.

- on the other hand, i think it would be pretty cool if all guys started wearing black eye makeup. i say we give it a try.

- if your life sucks, that's just because you're not as good as everybody else.

DMX. giver of the best advice ever.

Guest 150's~

If you're going to kill someone use a gun, or else the shit may come back to haunt you.

If you want to take drugs, don't bitch. CUZ I SAID SO

DMX and 150's

Come on, you guys. I'm serious here. We're looking for some genuinely good advice. This stuff ^^^ looks like a blueprint for Life in Leavenworth. Advising people to kill someone with a gun is lousy advice, and "it might come back to haunt you" is the understatement of the year. Win, lose or draw, you are screwed if you snuff somebody in a fight.

Recently, in Austin, Texas, a guy who had too much to drink got involved in a serious argument with another guy at a party. They went outside, and as the drunk was getting in his car, the fight broke out. The guy half in his car had the steering wheel locking bar ("The Club") in his hand and he smacked the other guy in the head. The guy died, in less than ten minutes.

Mr. Too-much-to-Drink is in jail right now on Aggravated Manslaughter. If he gets out of it with five years it will be a miracle. Bye-bye, college education. Hello, prison cell.

dont make yourself dependant on things that you dont actually need.

dont be greedy, greed is the cause of most of the troubles in there world today.

let things slide, im not saying let yourself be pushed around, but dont make big deals out of things that arent that important.

After many screw ups...

"If you keep doing what you've done, you'll always get what you've got."

This is a phrase that I have to repeat to myself daily to help keep my ass out of trouble.

The Serenity Prayer

-Used in many help groups, but nonetheless very helpful in needy times..

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Guest duffman

Always listen to both sides of the story. Usually both people will have different stories and the truth will most often be somewhere in the midddle. But if you only listen to one side and go out half informed it will be your downfall.

The moment you are going to discard an idea take one last look at it, really analize it. Some times you will find a aspect of it that may be usefull

Never interupt your enemy when hes making a mistake

To people you love and respect dont ever criticize them. If you do not agrre with them or have to find fault, give them a compliment first or humbly admit a mistake you have made. These techniques will soften the affect of your criticizm. Let the person save face.

If you straight out and criticize a person, human nature for the person is to go on the defencive and try to justify himself. Even if he is obviously wrong. Everyone wants to feel important and straight out critcizm hurts a this persons sence of importance.

smiles are contageous

Actions always speak louder thn words

Monkey see monkey do.......(a saying that is very overlooked)

- admitting that you are wrong often times helps, even if it's only to yourself.

- making excuses for anything is detrimental more often than not.

- get a job and a custodial bank account as soon as you're 16.... save all your money.

- be a good listener.

- respect your elders, they are wise.

- intelligence isn't wisdom.

- good manners will get you further than you can imagine.

- I know this sounds cheesy, but any time you point the finger, you have 3 pointing at yourself.

- listen to your gut feeling.

- never doubt your ability to do anything... put your best foot forward.

- make eye contact.

- everyone knows this, treat other's as you wish to be treated.

Guest duffman

dont try to influince eveyone into your way of thinking... spend your time in influencing the right people and the rest will fall behind....

take care of the little things and alot of the times the big things will take care of themselves

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now