I'd Rather be Sailing !

Guest --zeSto--

nope.

i always thought that working for a cruise line would be nice. that guy also told me about a lady that had her husbands possesions left to her and now shes a millionare and cruises to mexico every year. he was saying that she gives boat hobos rides and feeds them and gives them huge amounts of money for working on her boat. crazy stuff. id do it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Friend of my Dad welded one out of scrap steel

Friend of my Dad's was a welder and a heavy equipment operator. Back when the oil companies went bust the second time in the '80s, he bought a whole bunch of scrap steel angle, I-beam, flat bar and 16 ga. sheet steel from a couple of steel yards here in the Houston area, and started building his boat in his back yard.

To be fair, he lived on Redneck Row, with big back yards and shitty houses, junk cars everywhere, and his neighbors didn't give a shit what he did. We were over there helping him hang plate with a come-along one night and his neighbor got drunk, came out of his house and shot up his own pick-up truck with a .22 semi-auto rifle. He was behind in the payments and the bank was threatening to re-possess it.

Anyway, Terry started off by reading a book called "Steel Boat Building" or "Boat Building with Steel" or something like that. I read it too, just co-incidentally. I never thought I'd ever really use the information though.

He bought boat plans from a company for $250, then laid the keel (I-beam) for a 48-foot ketch. It wound up being a 54-foot sloop though. He built the ribs of the boat with it right-side-up (keel down) and then flipped it over using a 3/4 Ton 4x4 and a Ford tractor. He leveled it up, checked to make sure it wasn't bent (it wasn't) and then sheathed it with 16 gauge plate, all stick welded with standard 6010 and 6013 welding rod. He basically built the whole boat with a pawn-shop Sears welder, a cutting torch rig and a hand grinder. He ground all the welds smooth by suspending his grinder on a rope so he wouldn't have to hold it up, and just moving it back and forth. The welds came out great. He wasn't an expert when he started, but five years later he was one hot shit stick welder, let me tell you.

He modified the plans himself, and made it longer. I asked him about that, if he thought it was safe, and he said he thought so, but "I guess I'll find out when we start sailin' this bitch."

He swapped my Dad an air compressor for a fiberglas day sailer, and blasted and painted the boat in the back yard. Then he welded a couple of truck axles to the bottom, and had it hauled to Chocolate Bayou to launch. He rigged the masts and all that shit down at Chocolate Bayou. Last time we saw him, he was anchored down there, testing his Perkins diesel and his used on-board diesel generator. Next time we came to visit, the guy in the next slip said, "Oh, Terry? He done headed for the Panama Canal, I heard. Goin' to California."

The guy had NEVER SAILED ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A DAY SAILER. Haven't heard from him since. Hope he made it.

He said something pretty cool that I remembered.

I asked him, "Terry, are you worried about the quality of these welds? You ain't a certified welder."

And he said, "I may not be a good welder, but I'm a hell of a good boat builder."

And he sure was.

Guest seno.oner

ubejinxed ...... i sail club....you're definately right about trap....it was a bitch to learn when i first started we were bailing like crazy.....there was a kid who sailed out of my club that was in the snipe world championships....hes sailing on a full ride to tufts right now he was insane on the laser

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by seno.oner

ubejinxed ...... i sail club....you're definately right about trap....it was a bitch to learn when i first started we were bailing like crazy.....there was a kid who sailed out of my club that was in the snipe world championships....hes sailing on a full ride to tufts right now he was insane on the laser

i tried sailing a snipe once, wasn't too fond of it. i did go to the international 420 world championships a while back, but i never capitalized on my experience, although i should've. those big regattas are insane! i so miss sailing! club 420 are a lot more common in the US these days. i don't think many people sail the interntionals anymore.

but i'm going to be back at it again on a bigger boat. (altough i kinda wish it was a dinghy)

Originally posted by --zeSto--

no... FUCK YOU TT !

sailing around listening to Jimmy Buffet and Drinking bacardi is MY dream!

That's MY cheeseburger!!

get your own dream! Leave mine alone!

:rolleyes:

wanna be 2nd mate ?

ayo? undertone? just joking..

I can't believe I slept on this thread...

I learned to sail next to my dad on a Sunfish when I was 5, toyed around in some various stuff, my 'cousins' with the house on the Chesapeak had a Laser that we'd take out 2 at a time, and ALWAYS flip...

Later, I started racing Flying Scots (UGH!) and Rhodes 19's... another one design class I raced was Lightnings, I LOVE these boats, you can build one out of plywood in your backyard and they just scream...

I also raced a bit of SORC, well, quite a bit... I ran foredeck on an S2 27, an Olson 30, J25, J27, J30 and a Hunter 40... there was another one, I forget but I rember it had a red hull...

For a while I had permission to freely use a friend of my father's Hobie 16... which I also flipped everytime I took out, but I'm not complaining... anyway, one day this guy has a party and he gets the idea that he wants to ride with me so I took him out and, I actually too k it easy and didn't flip but... heading back into shore, screaming really, in about 6 feet of water we pitch-poled! It was fucking hilarious, I remeber popping the mainsheet and climbing up to hang my ass off the back of the trampoline while my dad's pal skidded from the back to the front catching himself on the mast with a foot and the stay with his hand... then it all calmed down and fell back but... the sweetest thing is my dad happened to take pictures of it all...

Anyway, I used to sail everyday, summer I'd race the one design series and SORC, fall I'd train one design and race SORC, then winter series and training in spring... but, I haven't been on a sailboat in over 10 years... it's sickening, seriously, I think it's had a major effect on my mental health, for the worse...

Archived