what do blind people see?

Grandola

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Good question Grandola... I imagine that the mind makes up images, but they aren't poisoned by influence from what they would really see if they could. So, I bet they see some really cool stuff that you could only wish to see. And I'm sure, that they can "picture" in their mind what a fork, or a toothbrush looks like.

True 3rd.

thats fucking weird to think about. but, the only way i can "picture" things im my mind is by collecting previous things i've SEEN that pertain to what im "picturing". like picturing what a strangers face looks like, you know theyll have a nose, ears, a mouth, eyes, and so on...but if youre blind youre not certain what any of those things look like. you'll have an idea, but no clue for certain. my guess is that their imagination and dreams CANT be visual...for obvious reasons. the only reason we dream visually is because we have ~20 years of seeing things. if youve had ~20 years of being blind...i dunno.

on the flip side, imagine GOING blind...and being able to picture everything PERFECTLY in your head but never getting to actually see it again.....

dude i planned on writing a book about what it was like to be blind, but ok so i alwyas wondered what the fuck would it be like for a blind person to take acid or mushrooms or maybe peyote that would fucking be pretty fun i think if i ever meet a person who has been blind all thier life i think i am going to dose them to see what happens..

i know i am a evil horrible person for planning on feeding some blind person lsd but what the hell try and tell me you wouldnt do the same i mean what are they gonna tell the police someone who looks like oh wait there fucking blind you so could get awey with it..

i am going to hell aint i?

i've thought about this a lot... the first thing you gotta consider tho, is whether they've been blind their whole life or not... if someone was once able to see they'd be able to tell you if they see all black and if they can see in their dreams... if someone has never seen, they wouldn't be able to know what "black" is... but also, ya know how when you start day dreaming, you can see everything yer imagining, and still see what's around you at the same time? i'd imagine that that's atleast how bliund people dream, but they would have a harder time explaining it than we who can see do...

---------edit---------

also, i've had just a few dreams that were entirely sound and texture, not visual at all... so if yer blind, would there be any reason to "see" in yer dreams?

i love thinking about stuff like this...

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Visual Perception college courses to the rescue...

Like vinyl said, the first thing you gotta ask is whether the person has been blind since birth or not. If the blindness was an accident later during the person's life, visual information remains in the brain and the person can imagine and dream in full visuals. For the earlier part of the blindness, they claim to see all black, but as they become more and more accustomed, the definition of black starts to blur until they're not sure if they see black, just "dark" and "colorless", and eventually, can't even tell.

Now, if they were blind from birth, it's a moot point to try to imagine how they perceive, because all of our imagination is based on visual themes. A blind person has an incredibly different perception of the world than we do, and does not incorporate visual information at all. They cannot "picture" things in their mind. Their dreams and imagination simply don't have a visual portion. Plus, if they ever we're to be given their sight back, they would go insane with confusion. If the visual cortex isn't active during the critical period, it does not develop and therefore can't make sense of all the signals the eye sends it. It has been tried before, with people who have been blind since birth from simple defects that were corrected with surgery much later in their lives. The confusion was so intense they requested to be put back in blindness... there's actually a real famous book on it, lemme see if I can find the name of it. Beer,

El Mamerro

damn...vinyl and mammy just articulated what i was trying to get at...

about the blind getting their vision back...there was an article in Discover magazine about that.....this dude got his vision back after like...45 years of being blind, and couldnt recognize his wife and kids even weeks after regaining vision. he also couldnt understand things such as 3-d renderings, like a simple drawing of a cube he didnt get....basically what mamerro said.....

mamerro just reminded me of this...

in a psychology class i took a while back, we talked about a guy who surgery to be able to see after going his whole life without sight... he had it reversed, but evertime he looked at his cat that he had had for years and years, it would terrify him and he'd end up hysterical...

Something else that's weird to think about:

Since I was very young, I was taught that when I see the color blue, it's blue, and red is red.... my mind sees that color, and I associate the name for that color with it. So, what if my mind sees a color and think's blue, but your mind sees a color that is different from what I see, and associates blue, because we were taught that "this" color is always blue? Ya get it? Wooo, that's hard to explain. Some one please get confused about this with me.

Guest SMUGGLER RSH

^^^^ I have also thought about this.........It is weird....Thinkng that your favorite colour to paint with could be poo brown and all the while you think your painting a purple........My dad has a good friend who cant distinguish between Green and Red.......He sees them both as the same colour hence he runs a few red lights everynow and then...Not nearly as many as he did when he first got his license but still that shit is weird fucked up

Archived