Andre The Giant Has A Posse (OBEY)

Guest SaddamInsane

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BIG COUNTRY

In a way he is the ultimate graffiti artist. He is the most well known name for this type of art, had an idea, worked hard on it, it took off, now other people are doing his shit for him, makes millions off soda pop, sit back and enjoy the good life thanks to wheatpaste and dead wrestlers. Oh, and his obey dickies pants he sells at urban outfitters suck ass. Play on player.

Originally posted by JumpOffStuff

he put in crazy work before he developed this cult following. the fucking guy was number one on cianci's hit list after he did that billboard. respect.

true, much, much respect.

fuck all of the haters with their jealousy. How about they get up 1/100th as much as him before they talk shit. Shep has contributed more (stylewise, contentwise and meduimwise) than most writers ever could dream to.......plus he's got to be one of the most up...period.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but dont hate the guy cuz "its not graff"...c'mon now, thats just ignorant...graff isnt just retro-letters and etch tags (stick around for a bit, wait till next year when theres a new trend that everyone jumps on and kills). It may not be your cup of tea, and thats fine, but you gotta give respect where its due.

Stop hating on this artist, he has made his mark and will stay among us for a long time. Go to his website to understand were this idea orginated, yes from the past people (russian poster art). Giant Obey has taking the past and applied it to our current thoughts and trends, in my point of view. I believe this is a great approach in making the past evolve.

His down to earth personality is probably the cause of his success. Because if your a fucking dick with the dopest art you probably wont get the right props or success that Giant Obey has achieved.

Much props on his work.

Peace

:P :P :P

So not thinking something as good or looking it as "art" is hating..well guess I am a hater..damn..why can't we all get along? I feel it is...overated, commercialized, trendy, and sure as hell ain't writing. It is like those movie posters plastered over every major city. Whatever, yall go back to jocking it, and I will go on about working on my letters.

:dazed:

Guest blancito
Originally posted by dontbeSKER'd

the man is fucking briliant....tons of kids put up his stuff now. and maybe not everyone agrees with that or thinks that that is "keeping it real" or what ever. but he started out just like all of us.doing it all by himself right here in providence. <<side note>> i believe he started it all with a 10 foot whole body poster of andre the giant going over a picture of mayer cianci on a bilboard when he was first running for office... i think thats fukking hot. and hes done good for himself since then... whats wrong with that? dont you wish you could sit back make your art all day and get paid for it.... i know i do. i say he got out...good for him.

x what!?!

whoa there young fella, in all reality the posse dates back to about 89. it did not start with the vincent 'buddy' cianci poster, nor was that cianci's first run at office. that was buddy's comeback tour after getting tossed from office the first time for having his security detail assist him in adressing his ex's indescretions. now he's getting tossed again; guy's got balls...and a bad ass hair piece.

back when the posse started amongst the skate crews in providence he was silkscreening them by hand and using kinkos. the whole phenomenology bit i don't really go for since he wrote that after the whole thing started picking up steam in providementia, but academically speaking i suppose its an accurate description. the pepsi comparison is useful, because what he has done is create a brand. a master of self promotion....and i saw a couple comments here criticizing that aspect....say what? on a graffiti site people dissing self promotion...am i missing something?

like it or not, shep has put in the work and has the worldwide ups, and established recognition and rep that most any type of public artist would envy. whether you like the shit or not is up to you.

Guest FACE WON
Originally posted by blancito

whoa there young fella, in all reality the posse dates back to about 89. it did not start with the vincent 'buddy' cianci poster, nor was that cianci's first run at office. that was buddy's comeback tour after getting tossed from office the first time for having his security detail assist him in adressing his ex's indescretions. now he's getting tossed again; guy's got balls...and a bad ass hair piece.

back when the posse started amongst the skate crews in providence he was silkscreening them by hand and using kinkos. the whole phenomenology bit i don't really go for since he wrote that after the whole thing started picking up steam in providementia, but academically speaking i suppose its an accurate description. the pepsi comparison is useful, because what he has done is create a brand. a master of self promotion....and i saw a couple comments here criticizing that aspect....say what? on a graffiti site people dissing self promotion...am i missing something? wrong!!!

like it or not, shep has put in the work and has the worldwide ups, and established recognition and rep that most any type of public artist would envy. whether you like the shit or not is up to you.

ya'll are preachin to the choir.most of the kids agree in this thread.

how could you not dig that shit.but one thing i dont dig really is all these art schoolers,thinkin they somebody.they aint shit.jus like stickers its kinda cheating.you gotta be up in a mediums granted.but me i'd focus my attention on walking routes,and doing good fillins.:king:

Guest cool christ

whatever i'm not in love with it, but it's there, you all heard of it, it's illegal, and it's generating dough for homeboy... this all totals out to one final point:

if you're hating, you're a jealous hater, and if you're a hater then you're on his dick worse than anybody

Guest CHUKYCHEEZE

ANDRE IS THE MANNN

OBEY IS DOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AND MAKIN CHEEEEZEE OF THOSE FUCKIN POSTERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:D I WISH I MADE CHEEZZEEEE <======BUT WHAT DO I KNOW IM JUST A RATTTTTTT

i think writers are jealous cause shepard gets more attention that them. shepards target audience isnt writers!

PS, all the large installation style postering is done by shepard. he doesnt pay people to put up the obey giant stuff. his company pays people to do promotional pasting for thier clients, the obey giant stuff is done by shepard, the only thing he sends to people is stencils and stickers. thats it!

im my opinion shepard fairey is the shit. he isnt a writer, but he obviously has more impact than any one writer has ever had and thats a fact.

the only gripe i have is when his stuff is looked at as graff, because graff is a felony, and wheatpasting is just a ticket in most cities so a wheatpast roof or bilboard doesnt equal a graffitied one.

16v.

Guest cool christ
Originally posted by sixteenvandals

im my opinion shepard fairey is the shit. he isnt a writer, but he obviously has more impact than any one writer has ever had and thats a fact.

16v.

whoa there turbo, you need to slow down a tad bit... actually i think the kid does his thing and refuse to hate on him... but you took the ball and ran with it...

• 1 year later...

Regardless of what people think of the work he does, Shep's still been up on more roofs than just about any of us, and probably had all of the usual bullshit that accompanies it. Trespassing and B&E charges are the same for him as they are for a kid with a bag of cans, except he has the seeds to put his real name behind his work at the same time. I'm not crazy about the work itself, but it's so omnipresent that it makes up for it.

And like you've never sent a pack of stickers to your boy in whatever city and told him to put them up for you. Cammannn.....

Archived