how to succesfully dread your hair

kodak

first.... get the following stuff!

a few hours, a few friends, some good hair wax or pomade, a strong steel comb, alot of paper towels, rubberbands, all the bob marley cds you can find, and a big fat bag of weed.

LET THE DREADING BEGIN!

1.To start, you can either section hair into uniform sections, like a grid, or just start at the back and work forward, grabbing locks that are about the size of your index finger, or as desired (note that the shorter the hair, the skinnier the dread must be, but fret not, they will grow together and get bigger as time goes by.) The grid method makes the locks look a bit more pro and uniform - just takes a bit longer to separate out. No biggie, yer gonna be here for the next 4 hours anyway! What's another 15 minutes? Bwaaahaha! However, I recommend that to avoid the blinding white or whatever-color part in the middle of your head, to grab sections randomly from either side of that part and dread like that.

2.. Take the first section of hair, and with the comb or fork, "back-comb" the hair like crazy starting from the very tips and working your way down to the scalp. It's actually very important to make sure the hair is really good and knotted at the base, next to your scalp, because that is where the dreads must start to come together on their own when your hair grows another inch or so.

So anyway, do this back combing thang a couple of times until you feel it's sufficiently knotted and tangled, then twist that lump of hair into a semi-dreadlock. You may be surprised to find this dread is a lot shorter than the rest of your un-dreaded hair, especially if you have quite fine hair. Don't worry, you're doing everything right. Another thing to note is this process of pulling and back-combing my cause you some occasional scalp pain, but, hey! no pain, no nappy dreads, baby!

3.Take a blob of the wax on your finger (work out any little clumps of the wax) and start working it into the tangled hair, starting, again, from the scalp and working down to the ends. Take more blobs of wax as you need it and just get it thoroughly waxed and twisted up - but not so much that it would be a sticky mess in your friend's hand if he/she were to give your new dread a playful tug.

4.Now just keep repeating the grab-backcomb-twist-and-wax process the whole live long day! Well, it won't really take all day... actually, yes, it will...well, about 3-5 hours of it anyway. But, dude! Just keep thinking about what a babe-magnet you're gonna be when they're done! Yeah! Rock and roll!

"...babe-magnet...babe-magnet...ow, you're hurting me!...babe-magnet..."

ok now once the wax dries you will have what looks to be real dread locks. but they can not truelly be dreads for about another 6 months. just take care of them.

peace.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I once tried it, shit didn't work out. I'd try again if I didn't look so idiotic while I'm growing my hair. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest willy.wonka

dreads are not dirty people!!

shit when i was ready..my hair was getting locked up and i had things ready..i knew i could still wash my hair..plus i had oil(coconut was my fav..)

but for some reason, i lopped them off.it was wierd when i had my hair though..the world looks at you differently.

yes this works. also during your six month waiting period feel free to wack shit in it that will aid in dreading, ie. orange juice, salt water, more wax, any thing sticky. plus this stuff should come out with ease (if you dont like your hair smelling like orange juice) and leave you with tangled, tangled, hair. rock on.

Originally posted by crackatinnie

also during your six month waiting period feel free to wack shit in it that will aid in dreading, ie. orange juice, salt water, more wax, any thing sticky

Man you've gotta be nuts. That shit doesn't help, and your hair probably smells and feels like shit at that. Salt water is cool if youre dippin your head in the ocean..but anything else just sucks. Wax also sucks...it keps the hair from dreading up since its all slippery. And yea like willy said, they arent dirty unless you never wash them. Washing everyday or every few days with some natural shampoo knots it up way faster. People do tend to look at you differently, and it was also annoying that people i didnt know thought i sold herb or had herb on me.

The first step is to be a spoiled white kid of privelege. Then you rebel against your parents upon puberty, listen to ace of base and then progress to darker music,right before you enter the goth/marilyn manson rocker era make a quick left into the reggae/kill whitey CD theatre collection. Dont wear any new clothes, go to an overly expensive vintage store and buy 2$ THRIFT STORE clothes for 40$. Wear tight bell bottom jeans and sandals and an extra tight softball jersey with cop retro glasses( if you have trouble go to your nearest urban outfitters). Then immerse yourself in books about reggae and learn all the info you can to impress the real rasta friends you have so they dont stompin your blond head. Then get the dreads.Upon completion you will be able to fully enjoy mom and daddys money and a priveleged life while being able to look like your the whole"praise jah" and "kill whitey" tosh/marley retro revolutionary thing going.

Note: If ever confronted by a short stocky bald mexican with tatoos, give him all your money for showing you how to cool.

Originally posted by crackatinnie

yes this works. also during your six month waiting period feel free to wack shit in it that will aid in dreading, ie. orange juice, salt water, more wax, any thing sticky. plus this stuff should come out with ease (if you dont like your hair smelling like orange juice) and leave you with tangled, tangled, hair. rock on.

umm.....i've read that putting stuff such as orange juice or "anything sticky" doesnt really do anything but damage your folicles and hair. ive heard people say to use fuckin toothpaste and shit. christ that must feel/smell shitty after a bit. fuck that.

plus, i kind of like my shorter hair now, dreds wouldve looked shitty on me anyhow.

Fuck that, you couldn't pay me money to dread my hair. I'm sorry [seeking and whoever else] but I think dreads are disgusting. They can really make a girl look unattractive. I do not understand why someone would want to not have pretty touchable shiney, smell good hair. Whatever, live your alternative life style, smoke your weed, listen to your music, and make your statement.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

They can really make a girl look unattractive. I do not understand why someone would want to not have pretty touchable shiney, smell good hair. Whatever, live your alternative life style, smoke your weed, listen to your music, and make your statement.

i cant stand white girls with dreads.

then again, i cant stand 95% of white guys with dreads.

i do not understand why you'd worry about another guys hair being 'pretty, touchably, shiny"

i cant speak for the next man, but

my hair smells like strawberries.

i dont live an 'alternative' lifestyle any more than you do and despite a full sleeve and plenty of piercings, i still work in office buildings, hold corporate jobs, and wear clothes that reads 'dry clean only'...

i dont smoke weed, and i dont listen to any kind of music

that one would associate with dreads.

but then again, what do i know?

Archived