i love hip hop like madonna loves dick

casekonly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In America, people's music tastes are usually centralized to this country, and music and artists from other nations are often overlooked. This rings true with almost all forms of music, and hip-hop is no exception. But in recent years, with the explosion of the underground sound, artists like Japanese DJs Muro and Krush, Canada's Kid Koala, Amsterdam's DJ Jeff and France's DJ Cam have all broken through to the American audience, and people are liking what they are hearing.

The latest release from DJ Cam, The Beat Assassinated, is a good example of foreign hip-hop-not that it's that much different from the stuff you can find here in America. The difference is in the interpretation of the music, and while many of the samples Cam works with are American in origin, he takes them and adds his own twist, thereby changing the purpose of the cut. For example, the album's first track, "I Love Hip-Hop" is based around that infamous sample, "…and I love hip-hop like Madonna loves dick," which is slightly sped up and blended with a thick beat and strong string accompaniment to create a mix that is unique.

As with many DJ records these days, The Beat Assassinated has the cuts that feature Cam mixing solo, as well as jams with guest rappers, most of which are pretty tight, and feature American rappers as well as British and French MCs. As far as DJ records go, Cam's The Beat Assassinated gives a good idea as to what is available from the wheels of steel across the Atlantic.

- Max Sidman

Archived