Books You Enjoy

Poop Man Bob

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_El Mamerro

"The Elegant Universe", by Brian Greene. Superstring theory rules.

"The Devil's Teardrop", by Jeffrey Deaver. Suspense so fuckin intense, I read the entire 400+ pages in a day and a half.

"Dirty White Boys", by Stephen Hunter. A paperback novel that's surprisingly good at what most novels lack: dope characterization.

"The Cult of Information", by Theodore Roszak. Kinda old, but still a great book that sobers up a lot of the overly-optimistic technological predictions of today.

"Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid", by Douglas Hofstadter. Simply fuckin' amazing book on all sorts of weird shit, from artificial inteligence to music to cognitive science. Hell, it won the Pulitzer when it came out.

Anything by Clive Cussler, Stephen Hunter, Michael Slade, David Hagberg, Ralph Ellison, shit, there's too many to name. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest Black

I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintance right now. Kin

I flew through it at first, got right near the end when school started again. I really need to pick it back up.

I highly reccomend it.

"Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk (the same guy who wrote Fight Club). If you liked Fight Club, definetly go pick this up, it's really wild shit, and it reads easy. And as I had to tell the retard who rung me up for the book, "it has nothing to do with the TV show."

-above.

------------------

and all this calamity is rippin' my sanity can it be I'm a celebrity / whose on the brink of insanity / now don't be wishin's of switchin' any positions with me / cuz when you in my position, it ain't never easy / to do any type of maintainin...

above - teamwolf - hifiart

Just got a cool book, The Devil and Webster Daniels, I like Anthony Burgess(A Clockwork Orange),LeRoi Jones, Hunter S. Thompson and if you haven't, read Cannery Row by Steinbeck, it's a funny ass book with alot of thought put into it...The Ice Opinion is good to...& A good book for you illiterate ones is Subway Art...HAHA

------------------

HuSL

http://www.bornhustlin.com

Read: Maya Angelou's Why The Caged Bird Sings...cause it's the vital things..

Peter Singer- Animal Liberation

Tom Wolfe- Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Alex Haley-- Malcolm X

Neil Postman- Amusing Ourselves To Death

Howard Zinn- The 20th Century

J.H. Hatfield- Fortunate Son (must-read for anyone who recognizes the political terror that is George W. Bush)

------------------

"cheeseburgers and

loneliness are a

dangerous mix"

'the wasp factory' by ian banks (seriously twisted) is the last good book but my undisputed favorite which i keep re-reading is henri charriere's autobiography 'papillon', about his wrongful confinement in the south american penal colonies and his crazy escapes...the film is pish but i cant recommend the book enough...

Hey, have any of you guys read I am the cheese...i think thats the title, it has something to do with cheese..ha. But anyways, i read that about a ago, and its pretty cool, it got me thinking...i wrote i am the cheese next to all my shit the next week..

------------------

Tell your barber that your sick of looking like an asshole. CUT THE MULLET.

fight club (chuch palanuk)

farenheit 451 (bradbury)

why i am not a christian (Bertrand russel)

clockwork orange (Anthony burgess)

the trial (kafka)

methods on meditation (descartes)

being and time (heidegger)

communist manifesto (marx)

art of guerrilla warfare (mao)

happy endings (margaret atwood)

• 2 months later...

THE ONLY BOOK I find myself reading is the BIBLE....king james version....i wouldnt read the bible from begining to end unless i were to read it like a book...a epic story which leaves in you in a question....

reading between the lines

[This message has been edited by willy!wonka (edited 06-04-2001).]

WOW. im really really impressed with all the books that were listed. you guys know whats up. but for anyone who read 1984 or brave new world, definitely check out "We" (try to get an older translation.) its where 1984 and b.n.w. are completely stolen from. glad to see ishmael was on the list. if you haven't, check out the other 2 books in the trilogy, they apply the ideas in ishmael to more concrete and realistic things. lovecraft rocks the god damn fucking house (fuck august derleth!) salinger rules. vonnegut rules. howard zenn is great (old and weird in person) and chomsky is fucking great but puts you to sleep. heh. cometbus was mentioned. really good zine. if youre into doing medical studies for money (or if you want to get paid for nothing) check out guinea pig zero out of baltimore. its a list / zine about good studies. so yeah. good books guys.

-scienxe.radix

Archived