Rival rapper provided Tupac murder weapon

ETHREADZNY

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A Los Angeles Times investigation into the long-unsolved murder of Tupac Shakur concluded that his killer likely was a gang member who used a pistol provided by rival rapper the Notorious B.I.G.

No arrests have been made in Shakur's death following the September 7, 1996 shooting near the Las Vegas Strip.

The Times, which said it interviewed members of the Southside Crips who had never before spoken out about the killing, reported that the fatal shots were fired by a Crip named Orlando Anderson, whom Shakur and his bodyguards had beaten in a Las Vegas hotel hours before the shooting.

The newspaper said B.I.G. had agreed to pay the gang $1 million to kill Shakur, his rival in a feud between East Coast and West Coast rappers.

The 24-year-old B.I.G, whose real name was Christopher Wallace, was shot to death six months later in Los Angeles, a killing that also remains unsolved. Anderson, 21, of Compton, was killed in 1998 in an unrelated gang shooting.

Anderson and Wallace had both denied involvement in Shakur's murder.

Las Vegas police interviewed Anderson once but said they could not build a case against him because witnesses in Shakur's entourage weren't cooperating. A police spokesman did not immediately return a call for comment Thursday.

[Notorious B.I.G., also known as Christopher Wallace, denied any involvement in the murder.]

Notorious B.I.G., also known as Christopher Wallace, denied any involvement in the murder.

Shakur was riding in a car with Death Row Records co-founder Marion "Suge" Knight after attending a Mike Tyson fight when another car pulled alongside and someone inside opened fire.

According to the Times' reconstruction of the killing, based on police affidavits, court records and interviews with witnesses and investigators, the Crips approached Wallace in hopes of making money from the killing after they had already decided to carry it out to avenge the beating.

East Coast, West Coast

Wallace and Shakur, once close friends, had been feuding for more than a year and had exchanged insults in recordings, at concerts and awards shows.

According to the Times, Shakur and his entourage had jumped Anderson to avenge an earlier beating of one of Shakur's bodyguards at a shopping mall. The assault was captured on a hotel security camera.

Anderson declined to file a complaint. Instead, the Times said, he telephoned other Crips and set up a meeting at a hotel room where they decided to kill Shakur that night.

The gang then set up a meeting with B.I.G., who was in town, and asked for $1 million, according to people who said they were present. The newspaper said B.I.G. agreed on the condition a .40-caliber pistol he was carrying be used in the killing. He wanted the satisfaction of knowing his own gun fired the fatal bullets, the Times said.

Since the shooting, rumors about Shakur's killing have continued to spread among hip-hop fans. Some even contend that he faked his own death to escape the pressures of fame and troubles with the law.

Three days before his own murder on March 9, 1997, Wallace discussed his feud with Shakur in an interview with a San Francisco radio station.

Asked whether he had a role in the Shakur's death, Wallace said he "wasn't that powerful yet."

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/06/rapper.slaying.ap/story.shakur.file.jpg'>

Notorious B.I.G. agreed to a $1 million bounty to kill Shakur, pictured, according to the paper.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/06/rapper.slaying.ap/story.notorious.big.jpg'>

Notorious B.I.G., also known as Christopher Wallace, denied any involvement in the murder.

STILL KIND OF THINK IT WAS THE COPS AND MAYBE THE FBI WITH POSSIBLE PARTICIPATION BY SUGE AND FRIENDS

AFTER ALL, WE KNOW WHO KILLED BIG

BUT, I HAD PREVIOUSLY ENTERTAINED THE NOTION THAT SUGE'S ONLY MOTIVATION FOR KILLING BIG, BESIDES JEALOUSY AND MALICE, WOULD BE IF BIG HAD PLAYED A ROLE IN TUPAC'S MURDER PREVIOUSLY...

WHO KNOWS, ONE THING'S FOR SURE, HE MADE A LOT MORE DOUGH OFF OF TUPAC POSTHUMOUSLY THAN HE EVER HAD PREVIOUSLY... EVEN WHILE SPLITTING IT WITH AFENI SHAKUR...

WHOEVER DID KILL HIM, AND OBVIOUSLY IT WAS A HUGE CONSPIRACY, TOOK A REAL FUCKING TALENTED GUY FROM THE EARTH, AND THAT'S A SHAME

Guest Canadiano
Originally posted by WALE!pd

ill piss on both their graves, fakest people in the world are the ones everyone loves

i feel sorry for you. i truly do.

there was an incredible rolling stone article about a year and a half ago, or so, about this. i believe the guy who wrote it, a former LA detective, might have written a book about it as well.

either way, i believe his story much more than any national news agency, especially because he had no intention of getting involved in the whole thing, it happend as a result of an internal affairs investigation he was conducting on some corrupt CRASH cops, who happend to be, he found, on suge's pay roll...

i cant remember what he determined, but i know it was that tupac's killing had alot to do with suge, tupac wanting to leave death row, and the whole fight with anderson being a set up.

ok, im gonna go take a shower now.

Guest Catch22
Originally posted by seeking

there was an incredible rolling stone article about a year and a half ago, or so, about this. i believe the guy who wrote it, a former LA detective, might have written a book about it as well.

either way, i believe his story much more than any national news agency, especially because he had no intention of getting involved in the whole thing, it happend as a result of an internal affairs investigation he was conducting on some corrupt CRASH cops, who happend to be, he found, on suge's pay roll...

i cant remember what he determined, but i know it was that tupac's killing had alot to do with suge, tupac wanting to leave death row, and the whole fight with anderson being a set up.

ok, im gonna go take a shower now.

I think I saw an interview with this guy. I believe he quit the Police dept. out of frustration. He went to his superiors with a bunch of evidence & they basically told him to forget about it.

hahahahaha...

yeah, he took all the evidence to them, and they swept it under the rug and threatened him to leave it alone, so he quit and went public.

this whole thing will be an interesting web once it all gets unraveled... which it will, because its an issue of money, not loyalty...

Originally posted by WALE!pd

ill piss on both their graves, fakest people in the world are the ones everyone loves

i have some unseen footage of tupac. That dude was the realest ever. He faked nothing. That fool was always carrying guns, starting fights, all that shit. Big might of been fake but i know for a fact 2pac was nuts.

I think Suge had Pac and Lisa Lopez killed!!!

Wow he was real cause he started fights and carried guns and like to talk about killing people but had songs about world peace. Man i dont get tupac. I dont understand why everyone loves him. Im not ragging on you if you do like him, personally i beleive there has been better rappers. But i still have respect for him solely for the fact that people enjoyed his music.

Originally posted by suburbian bum

Wow he was real cause he started fights and carried guns and like to talk about killing people but had songs about world peace. Man i dont get tupac. I dont understand why everyone loves him. Im not ragging on you if you do like him, personally i beleive there has been better rappers. But i still have respect for him solely for the fact that people enjoyed his music.

my point exactly , he has all this sappy dear momma songs and then he talks about shooting people in the face with high powered guns at point blank what the hell is that? you think his mom aproves of that shit , you think talking about peace and talking about killing people in the same song is a little hypocritical? i sure do

Archived