philosophy.

boxcarwilly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it up to someione else to tell you if you're a graffiti writer, i definitely would call futura or joker writers, they're pushing the envelope, advancing the artform, maybe people who say "hey, paint stright letters" don't understand that. there are sooo. many schools in graffiti. character writers, wild style piecers,, dead letter sopt bombers freight writers, hardcore throw up or script bombers, abstract writers, 3d piecers, production writers (fx and tats)... etc etc.. they all use spraypaint and write under an alias (note i said writing under an alias... this is what i think makes you a writer, wether your alias be your actual artwork or just a signature you put under your "piece" of art work). using spraypaint to produce art taps into the essence of graffiti and will almost always produce something that has a "graffiti" feel to it. obviously..painitng your house or furniture with it doesn't mean you are a writer. but basically what i'm getting at is yeah people may diss you, but if you think and want to be a graffiti writer, then hey, you are, it's not for someone else to say... there will always be someone who won't feel what you're doing (heh, like me with jobe's stuff and vice versa), and there will most likely be someone out there who WILL feel what you're doing..

[This message has been edited by pervertedmunk (edited 04-21-2001).]

Originally posted by boxcarwilly:

damn disgruntled we seem to agree on a lot. we should kiss or have sex or paint together.

bump.

i am too messy right now to say anything worthwhile.

jobe.jealousee.

I dounno about the whole "sex" thing. But I'm down for some paintin'.

Originally posted by pervertedmunk:is it up to someione else to tell you if you're a graffiti writer, i definitely would call futura or joker writers, they're pushing the envelope, advancing the artform, maybe people who say "hey, paint stright letters" don't understand that. there are sooo. many schools in graffiti. character writers, wild style piecers,, dead letter sopt bombers freight writers, hardcore throw up or script bombers, abstract writers, 3d piecers, production writers (fx and tats)... etc etc.. they all use spraypaint and write under an alias (note i said writing under an alias... this is what i think makes you a writer, wether your alias be your actual artwork or just a signature you put under your "piece" of art work). using spraypaint to produce art taps into the essence of graffiti and will almost always produce something that has a "graffiti" feel to it. obviously..painitng your house or furniture with it doesn't mean you are a writer. but basically what i'm getting at is yeah people may diss you, but if you think and want to be a graffiti writer, then hey, you are, it's not for someone else to say... there will always be someone who won't feel what you're doing (heh, like me with jobe's stuff and vice versa), and there will most likely be someone out there who WILL feel what you're doing..

I agree with you on this. It isn't up to other people to designate who is a writer and who isn't a writer. I also believe Futura, Joker, and especially (In my opinion) Kema are pushing the limits of graffiti and are bringing it to another level.

They are probably 3 of the very limited number of people who are actually painting what they feel and what they want to paint. 90% of writers are just trying to come up with improvisations of old-school letters. They may not realize it, but that's what they're doing. I know that's what I've been doing for 2 or so years. Once I get very good at simples/wildstyles/prodo's/etc. I will probably then try and move on to more creative works....

...I've strayed a bit from our conversation so I'll stop now..

True, character writers are writers as well. You got me there. But you also said if you use spraypaint than you are a writer by definition? I wouldn't go that far. A vast amount of people diss all the "abstract" writers, let alone writers who don't even put up letters. If some guy started painting just an overall structure of a piece, I doubt he would be considered a writer...he'd get comments like "Where are the letters" and "do simples first" When maybe he had been doing simples his whole life and now he wanted to move on to what he wanted to do.

as to expand on the philosophy of an alias... i think that at first your tag starts as either a nickname or just letters you like for me anyway jobe was letters i liked, but then after so long job came to mean something to me. read the Bible. i felt like him, Job, but if i didnt have that e at the end people would say job (like work) so it meant something and still does. i dont want this to be a lets figure out how we all got our names post, but for me Jobe is who i am and what i paint wheter i piss on a wall with blood or paint dead letter. i have gone into my heart enough to know that when i paint it is completely me. i feel it completely and that has nothing to do with philosophy because i am off topic as hell today it is too goddamn hot.

so no sex huh what about kisses?

as for pervertedmunk, i dont even know if i have commented on your style i prolly have because i am a dick, but i am a mess of a dichotomy in what i believe in i believe a writer has to pay their dues, with handstyles throws etc and then when one graduates to piecing then the flow can go anywherre, so if i made comments its because you can tell a writer who has gone from kindergarten to high school too fast usually complete lack of hand while signing thier piece or train or what have you... but then i think the childish scribbles without preconceived notions of who you are in the world of graff are more expressive, i am a leo/virgo they fight all the time. the leo is proud of ten years of graff and wants to lose all the things constraining him the virgo wants everyone to conform.

enough babbl;ing i hater the heat but i have to go out this house is too goddamn hot.

j.

bumpism.

i didnt think id get fourty posts but again i still dont think its enough shit i am still a baby in the graff world ten years isnt alot, but i understand more now about who i am in the graff world from thinking inwardly realizing that i am shallow and only care about fame and am trying to change that asap.

but graffiti has a place in philosophy, etc.

so push it ill think of more i just painted and am a little messy like usual.

j.

I havent read much philosophy...but of the stuff I've read..I liked the existentialist writers the best. I've read abit of Sartre and Beauvoir...their notion of transcending your existence..moving beyond what state you are born in...I liked that. Also the idea that you have the final decision on every choice you make, it's ultimately up to you. It makes sense..I'm a skinny guy, but according to them, if I lost in a fight, it would be my fault, not because I was skinny. I can live with that. Too many people don't face up to their responsibility....

Originally posted by Disgruntled Customer:

So, if a quadrapalegic girl went up against Mike Tyson, and lost, its her fault? She coulda beat him if she put her mind to it...right?

Why did she fight him? If she fought and lost, she has no one to blame but herself. If I'm right, the point is that you have only yourself to rely on. Quadrapalegic girl should have trained more, or prepared herself better if she was going to fight a former World Heavyeight Champion. The ultimate choice and responsibility is up to you. I believe the example used is a prisoner being tortured....ultimately its up to him whether or not he is going to reveal secrets...the pain has no bearing.

[This message has been edited by Flubug Starski (edited 04-29-2001).]

selfish selfish bump for people not touching on what i want them too.

agreeing with idiot. ftw.

got in fight with truck last nite about how bitter i am at the world and how she will realize that the world sucks when she opens her eyes instead of sheeping along with the in crowd. break tradition and paint for your heart not for the crowd.

<3 jobe.

• 6 months later...

well several hundred posts and reopened forums later i thought id bring this back around its halloween and also the beginning of Kartikka (a vaishnava holy month) and alot has gone one since this started i broke away from the philosphical graff for a bit i still sketch it i just have been trying to embrace popular letter forms for readability and adaptation. i dunno maybe there could be more talk on philosophy of graffiti or the world just a thought.

j.

1)Tits ARE the reason I exist.

2)The letters of the alphabet have distinct color associations for me, but no texture - A is red, B is blue, C is yellowish-orange, etc. It took me a while to notice this, and a while longer to figure out where it was from: the alphabet slide show we saw many times in 1st grade. Learning the alphabet from that source, the colors stuck as well. This phenomenon of association is called "synesthesia".

3)I don't know where you're trying to go with 'philosophy of letterforms'. I have a basic belief: if you're going to paint letters, paint letters. Once you wildstyle them into oblivion, they aren't letters anymore. The line is crossed when you paint letters that can be mistaken for other letters. I can find every letter of the alphabet in a Split or Kuhr piece. This doesn't make Split or Kuhr bad writers, but they are kidding themselves if they expect people to read their piece and agree that it says 'Split' or 'Kuhr'. I'm all for abstract art, characters, and letter pieces anywhere people are inclined to put graffiti; I don't demand that letters be involved at all, I find that an arbitrary limitation. But letters are letters, and can only be tweaked so far before they aren't decipherable anymore.

• 1 month later...

i continually fight the tyranny of the majority to maintain my individual liberties.

fighting for a minimal state.

humes best friend kants fishing buddy.. bhopeism.

freuds wetdream descartes inner demon.

bombs over babylon hopeminimalism

Humility is the most important thing in philosophy. Knowing that whatever is said or done to us is done to the person that we now represent, not the spiritual being that we really are. [we are the driver not the car] By not letting anything bother us and keeping our mind to a set goal is the most important thing that you can do. Everything else is meaningless. Remember that there are no rules. If you are effected by the people that write graffiti then you are writing for them and not yourself.

Archived