things that are cooler than what i do...

superstarism

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: HaRM

Originally posted by HaRMFuL

is not from NY, but my gramma lives in PHILLIE, heard a rumor that graffiti really started there, whut do you think.

CORNBREAD (FROM PHILLY) WAS THE FIRST TAGGER IN THE MID 60'S.

I THINK PIECES STARTED IN NY THOUGH.

graffiti as we know it began in philly.

and getting up is a good book but if you want a much better

detailed account of graffiti beginnings check out a book by jack stewart

titled: subway graffiti 1970-1978. its almost 600 pages. its a disertation so you cant get it in the bookstore but you can probably get it online 54 bucks for the hardcover.

for those really interested in history - philly and new york, this is a must have.

get ya search on-

Subway Graffiti: An Aesthetic Study of Graffiti on the Subway System of New York City, 1970-1978

by Jack Stewart (1989)

New York: New York University

Ph.D. Thesis, New York University, School of Education

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: ..pics..

Originally posted by FiLLDaMoRgUe

..anyone got old school ny trains on film for trade..

..hollar at me..

ill sell you subway art fo $$120,000,000,

Originally posted by HaRMFuL

WORD

How about the cholo writing in the west coast...started back in the 20's...using paint brushes....the first aerosol can was out but not known about in the early 30's....

i still beleive it started by all the cholos...(OLD ENGLISH STYLE WRITING) on the westcoast...and you cant deny it if you check out some shet...go research, ITS FUN!!!!

By the way...lets not turn this into a "WHAT SIDE IS BETTER" type of thing, im just saying that graffiti evolved from that.....just like its still evolving...i know some of you people have to get what im saying.....none the less RESPECT to all the O.G.'s

PEACE

i believe alot of what we know as "modern" graffiti, started simultaniously in different areas of the country (world)....and when i say simultaniously i mean that losely....that could be a 20-30 year difference. I think alot of the major pioneers started independently without knowing much if anything about any other burgeoning scene....not that they cared anyways. each scene was in it for different reasons....mostly. Fame has always been the engine of this "scene"...

I have also done extensive reading on the cholo scene, and it did start way long ago. But if your gonna mention that, why not mention the original hobos, and tramps, who have been streaking trains for only god knows how long...

Point being, know one knows when it was "started"....really it started as soon as we could use our hands to make "tools" that enabled us to scrawl images that we saw daily as early humans....im willing to bet there was a time in day that there was a "graffiti scene" in some sort of way long ago in some civilization...obviously not like we know graffiti, but i'm willing to bet that there has almost always been an individual in time that felt it his or her place to mark their surroundings to let people know that they were infact "there".

regardless of all of this, its our responsibility as writers to document this....everyday, every chance we get....even if you dont share it. document it. The reason our past is sooooo incredibly sketchy is because we didnt document that shit properly. And really, most of the people involved in the "beginings" didnt have those means anyways. no taking back the past...all we can do is document and communicate....Communicating is also imparitive. I know just as well as the next that graf stories grow long tales with each passing, but i cant stress enough how important it is to talk to people who have been writing for years....or people who used to write. I know this is hard for some compared to others, but make an effort....and dont be toy about. be as real as possible. and just ask.....where did this shit start.....The best thing to do is find out when YOUR local scene started. then branch out and learn from there......

enough outta me...that was long rant....i promise it will never happen again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived