holy fucking shit im moving to canada right now....

boogie hands

...and no, not just because america is going to shit...

IM TALKING ABOUT MUTHAFUCKING DIAMONDS KID!!! i watched 60 minutes earlier tonight and they had a segment on the diamond rush going on in canada right now and highlighted a 24 year old woman fresh out of school with a degree in archeology (sp??) who discovered acres of diamonds and will basically be shitting gold for the rest of her life due to the fact that her mine will be pulling between 250 million and 400 million a year....A FUCKING YEAR!!!

-(CBS) A huge diamond discovery has turned a remote corner of the Canadian tundra into a modern-day Sutter’s Mill, where prospectors rush to stake their claims.

At a time when human right’s groups want to outlaw the sale of diamonds mined in war-torn parts of Africa, these Canadian stones are being hailed as the “Boy Scouts” of diamonds – they’re politically correct and plentiful.

There’s just one problem: the diamonds are buried in ice.

At the Ekati Diamond mine on the Barren Lands of Canada’s Northwest Terrritory, spring’s wind-chill the temperature can be 70 below, reports correspondent Carol Marin.

Diamond History

Find out more about the long history of this sparkling stone.

Jim Excell, the man in charge of the mine estimate sthat one pit alone will yield an astonishing number of diamonds, 7 or 8 million carats. At $100 a carat, the gems would be valued at $700 or $800 million.

But most people have never heard of Canadian diamonds. "Most Canadians don’t know anything about it,” says Mathew Hart, author of the just-published book “Diamond.”

“A lot of people will still say, ‘Oh yeah, I read something about it, is there anything to that?’ Well, four million carats a year; next year, another six million. Yeah, it’s a huge discovery.

This treasure hunt in the Northwest Territory, an area twice the size of Texas, where the caribou (300,000) outnumber the people (64,000) by 21 to 1, actually began about 30 years ago. That’s when geologists discovered there a collection of minerals, including garnets, which were a clue that diamonds were nearby.

Then in 1991 after eight years of prospecting, Charles Fipke struck pay dirt. From that discovery came the Ekati mine which opened in 1998. A sort of biosphere on ice, the $600 million diamond mine houses 500 people, who live and work there on shifts - two weeks in and two weeks out, 365 days of the year including Christmas.

Just one of its pits is two-thirds of a mile wide and 900 feet deep. It consists of kimberlite pipe, hardened lava from ancient underground volcanoes in which the diamonds are buried.

In just one day, 10,000 tons of kimberlite will be stripped from this mine, crushed and rinsed and refined to yield a ziplock bag of 10,000 carats – roughly 4.5 pounds – of diamonds worth about $1 million.

In the Northwest Territory, 50 million acres have already been staked by small prospectors like Dave Smith. After 30 years of prospecting – first for gold, then for diamonds – Smith says the he’s found is bigger than the Ekati mine.

“In size it’s considerably larger,” he says. “In grade, we don’t know yet so. The results of the drilling will tell the tale.”

Nine years ago, Eira Thomas was prospecting a site not far from the Ekati mine. She had been drilling for days, without any luck, until she took one last sample. That’s when she found a 2.5-carat, beautiful, clear, triangular-shaped diamond.

Says author Hart, “Eira was 24 years old, a greenhorn prospector with the ink still wet on her geology degree when she stood on melting lake ice in the middle of a huge lake - and the drillers wanting to pull the whole thing down and get the hell to shore - Eira hit the motherload.

Her mine, which opens next spring, stands to make $200 to $400 million a year in just rough diamonds. When it does, Canada will be producing a billion dollars worth of Artic or “clean” diamonds a year, so called because they do not come from the war-torn reaches of Africa.

stories like that are always exciting to me for some reason....makes me want to go on an adventure...unfortunatly i dont have the money to go wandering around canada for a year taking soil samples....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

have fun diggin thru the ice up there, most of you wouldnt last a day in the n.w.t, and yesh ive heard about this, canadian diamonds are fairly popular here, well theyre gaining popularity. why do i know so many little stpid tings about notihing.

This fella I grew up with works in his dads mine for two months a year.He drives the nicest pimped out lexie I've ever seen.He works for 2 months and does nothing the rest of the year.The whole family flossis bling bling.If you have the money to invest in a mining company DO IT!

Security in those places is NO JOKE.Guys with mac 10's watch you work if your caught stealing they will fuck you up then it's off to jail.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Fucking coffee makes me poop too quick. A couple of sips, and I have to go take a shit immediately, and it sucks cause my shit is not prepared to come out yet, so it comes out "rare", which means gooey (and red in the middle). Then I have to wipe for 3 fucking hours, use up half the roll of toilet paper, make my ass sore for the rest of the day, and clog the toilet. Then 15 minutes later my ass itches and I have to go wipe all over again. Fuck this shit. Beer,

El Mamerro

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Fucking coffee makes me poop too quick. A couple of sips, and I have to go take a shit immediately, and it sucks cause my shit is not prepared to come out yet, so it comes out "rare", which means gooey (and red in the middle). Then I have to wipe for 3 fucking hours, use up half the roll of toilet paper, make my ass sore for the rest of the day, and clog the toilet. Then 15 minutes later my ass itches and I have to go wipe all over again. Fuck this shit. Beer,

El Mamerro

hahaha. im feelin you there. not that bad, but you know...

Originally posted by T.T Boy

canadian diamonds are fairly popular here, well theyre gaining popularity.

yeah, its the whole "blood diamonds" thing that everyone pretends to care about....a lot of diamonds sold out of africa help to finance the warlords which the people wearing the diamonds that were bought from africa attempt to be outraged about....

really only 5% of diamonds come from these regions but who knows....i guess the shelterd rich wives need something to be outraged about, it may as well be theyre $50,000 dollar necklaces....

Archived