we're probably not gonna BAN Mapo!

Guest Firetruck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by IntangibleFame

I did, but I saw a retarded bear...see the white part is his nose, and the black part above are his dark gleaming eyes...

Hahahaha, that's exactly what I thought... a bear with sunglasses and an unnatural protrusion coming out of the right cheek. Beer,

El Mamerro

Originally posted by didomatic

bodice really isn't bullshitting you. We both really do live here and went through the whole school system here. Im telling you most Irish people differ very little from most english people, penal laws haven't existed here for a long long time, the english are'nt forcing any beliefs on anyone and wer'e all trying to get along these days. the way to resolve the conflict we have is to recognise our massive similarities in culture etc. and not to carry a huge hundreds of years old chip on our shoulders emphasising our differences and using them separate us. ( and no, Irish people write the history books here, most of which are written in english believe it or not)

Can't you concede that I just might know more about the situation, since Im from Ireland like my whole extented family before me and if we can all move on from holding a grudge against english people than I dont see why you cant

listen, im not trying to say that the irish language is widely used in general or day to day conversations, im just saying its used enough so that if youre visiting even for a day youll here a lot of people speaking it. and saying they do it for the tourists is bullshit. the similarities youre talking about are superficial. just because people look similar and speak the same language doesnt make them the same by any means. i know catholicism and protestant have a lot of similarities too but they also have some major differences. if you want to argue that theyre the same in essence you may as well say that about all religions. and believe it or not, the irish do have a lot more of a cuisine than england. they have a lot more recipes than fish and chips. england is trying to build on their cuisine lately.... you guys seem to think that to get along or stop the "grudge" between the irish and english you have to be the same. i can accept that they dont fight all the time or that they can get a long, but theyre not the same. and although beliefs arent forced on the irish so much now, they were a lot back in the day and theyve just become more accepted and even preferred now by some people. and, obviously, being from ireland doesnt mean you know what youre talking about. look at a lot of the people from the states.... they have no fuckin clue whats going on there or their history. as far as they know pocahantes fell in love with john smith and the indians and whites all got along after that and lived happilly ever after...... as far as you know leprichans live under your bed and theres a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow...... (right?)

Firstly, I am being misrepresent as saying that the irish and english are the same. What I in fact said was that they are not so different as the irish would have you believe.

"and believe it or not, the irish do have a lot more of a cuisine than england. they have a lot more recipes than fish and chips. "

like fucking what? back your shit up. the only exclusively "irish" dish I can come up with is colcannon, and thats just spuds and onions.

"and although beliefs arent forced on the irish so much now, they were a lot back in the day "

They aren't forced on anyone now. Ireland is separate now. Completely. NO we don't share the capital with britian :rolleyes: .

"they hate them because theyre still occupying their country and forcing protestant and english beliefs on them. do you know the history of your own country?? does england write your history books for you?? it doesnt seem like youve heard all the fucked up things the english did to the irish. they have reasons for hating them. "

For fuck sake. They are GONE. They are gone long enough that the VAST majority of the population can't even remember them being here!!! This sort of hazy understanding of events is why the IRA can get so much funding from idiot yanks - so they can kill children.

Yes the english are still in the North. More people in the North want to be british than want to be irish. As soon as this changes (and probably will, seeing as the cantholics are outbreeding the Protestants), then they can start working on democratically becoming part of Ireland. Its not healthy to hate and entire group of people because of something their ancestors did before you were even born. The Nazis killed LOADS of gay people. Why should I hate todays germans? They didn't do it.

you said the irish and the english wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, speak the same language, etc, ect, theyre basically the same people. something to that effect. those are all superficial similarities that dont reflect them as a people. people all over the world have all those similarities that are not similar people at all. what i was saying is that the irish are a different people ethnically and culturally. i wasnt arguing that they are right for hating the english.

traditional irish recipes:

cream of mussels soup

nettle soup

turnip and bacon soup

potatoe soup

buttered kippers

creamed plaice

garlic mackerel

herrings in oatflakes

hot buttered mussels

smoked cod pie

stuffed trout

boiled bacon and cabbage

coddle

gammon steaks with whiskey sauce

kerry casserole

liver and bacon

spare ribs

creamed lamb with mint and peas

irish stew

mutton chops with butter beans

pickled lambs tongue

roast leg of lamb with mustard

beef stew with dumplings

minced beef and onion pie

breakfast duck

casseroled chicken with potato stuffing

chicken and vegetable pie

rabbit with mustard sauce

roast stuffed chicken

roast venison

stuffed rabbit

tyrone roast goose

apple mash

soda bread.....

i can go through the details of the recipes if you like..... it looks like some good shit. they even have a pretty advanced cooking technique. funny you dont seem to know much about your country.... english cuisine: fish and chips, porridge.

i never said that ireland shared a capital with britain, i just thought (i dont know why) dublin was mutual between northern and southern ireland.

haha. dude, ive only lived in the suburbs for the last 2 months in sydney since im studying here. id go paint but its fuckin 12 to 15 dollars a can for any good paint. and all that other shit you said about me was way off the mark. ill drop it though. unless you need to know what my situation is..... im just having a discussion with her bro. just like youre discussing getting head from her. same kinda deal.....

Almost all of the dishes you just mentioned are not traditionally irish, most of them are in fact , english. I would go as far as to say that most were only created in the last 20 years by the ballymaloe cookery school, which has been set up to invent dishes saleable in restaurants under the heading of Irish cuisine. In reality, up until the 1920's Ireland had no indigenous leaders or upper classes to invent cuisine for. the ordinary people just through together whatever they could afford, hence ( in the actual traditional foods) the spuds/ irish stew/ coddle with low quality meats etc. It's true that Ireland boasts an array of seafood products , ie. mussels, oyster, cod, whiting, salmon etc but none of the preparations of these listed above are exclusively Irish.In fact (ironically) these cuisines you have listed are very English: mustard, garlic,gammon steak, roasted meats like venison, etc, etc. ?These may have been eaten traditionally by those who could afford it in Ireland, but you seem to have forgotton that in Ireland those who could afford it were invariably the english landlord set.

Many of the things Ireland is famous for are actually anglo- irish; writers like Oscar Wilde, painters like Sir John Lavery, the entire Yeats family and indeed, rebel republicans like Wolfe Tone.The two countries have a very close past, and as a result, a shared culture. So get over your ideas that even though you cant place the capital you know more about my country than I do.By the way, you are very unlikely to hear any spoken Irish after spending one day in the country ( unless you happen to be in the gaelteacht or you ask someone to speak Irish, which is probably what happened in your case), and catholicism and Protestantism are just two different traditions of the SAME religion- Christianity, unlike the difference between say, Buddhism and Judaism which are two completely different religions. I LIVE HERE, you were only here for a week, dont be so arrogant to presume that you know more about it than me!!!!!!

yeah ok. when i was in cork i heard irish spoken many times a day. and im not saying the english and the irish have no similarities, im just saying theyre definitely a different people. and since when is garlic english?? you dont suppose irish people could grow their own herbs and raise sheep, pigs, and chickens and whatnot?? true, a lot of those recipes were derived from oridary people experimenting with things. the english have no cuisine. theyre picking up on a lot of other cuisines recently and trying to come up with something.... true, catholicism and prtestant are branches of christianity but they do have major differences. fighting over religion has always been stupid, but that is still a big distinction between the two races because if you ask either they will tell you they are not the same and theyre proud of their religion. they think it defines them. they still have different religious backrounds, whether being part of the same religion or not. i know that sounds kinda weird but it does make sense if you think about it so chill out with the smart remarks. i didnt just stay there as a tourist, i stayed with family and they didnt hesitate telling me some of their beliefs and traditions and stuff. and my whole fathers side is mostly irish so i hear a lot about it from them. i dont claim to know everything about the country, but i know that they are distict from the english and a few other things. they are a different fuckin race for christs sake. sure theyve mixed some, but it doesnt mean that there arent still plenty of indigenous irish and they have their own traditions and history. i dont see how you can sit their and argue against that as an irish citizen....

• 1 month later...

Archived