Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Just got from a few days of diggin....got shitted on in chicago area, and not much luck in several other states...leave it to the last store in PA for me to finnally find some stuff....more avos for the collection and some good user paint, need to head back for more...not to mention 2 closed up stores I seen on my way home....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got from a few days of diggin....got shitted on in chicago area, and not much luck in several other states...leave it to the last store in PA for me to finnally find some stuff....more avos for the collection and some good user paint, need to head back for more...not to mention 2 closed up stores I seen on my way home....

Yeeeeaaaahhhh, Chicago's rough when it comes to the vintage paint market. As soon as the ordinance went through in the 90's and shops had to give up their paint, most of the real heads stocked up super hard, and the few low-profile spots that we still have get cleared out whenever they get new stock...

We used to keep thi stuff a secret, and now I realize the only way to bring cans to the public is to educate people in what I am looking for. I do alot of diggin....spots are dried up so we need to use unorthadox ways to find paint. I try and hit it from all different angels, some work and some don't....in the end I am just trying to save cans from being destroyed...

As of recently I've been interested in the history of collecting old cans and building a collection. Im just looking for any information i can, where to find them, how to approach it, etc.. anything is helpful at this point.

Theres alot of good looking stuff to look at in here!

There's the '91 copyright, and then you see the ones that were updated for 1994. Between 1991 and 1994, it's anyone's guess. I believe the company switched to the (terrible) 3D logo in 1996. After that, you can kinda tell based on the label, since they seemed to switch it up every couple years to something even more awful than the last.

I have to post some Devil tins I just picked up in a trade. They're paper wrap poly quarts, and I'm guessing could be the last design style before they totally re-branded 'cause the devils face is different, like his eyes/nose are stylized/simplified, unless it's a mistake... still nice quarts. Will post soon...

end of what story? just stating that there some out here if anyone wanted them. all they to do is ask. someone that all you paint collecting cool guys look up to on here already did. i didn't expect anything in return. if he should be so good as to return the favor great. it didn't require any comments from the peanut gallery

ah, thank you sir, it was a nice color, wish i would have saved a few. i'll keep looking around...krylon osha safety green and plum were nice..jade green and colonial blue also. that's about all i used of the late 90's krylon..black and white of course...one question did it ever not say "new" on the terracottas? i feel like it said satin on it at some point. maybe i remember wrong. thanks

I seem to remember terracotta graduating from the "new" cap, but all the ones I still have kicking around the crates have that top. Maybe the later ones are the "satin" caps. I remember when they switched a couple colors from gloss to satin. Sage Green, Terracotta, etc.

Hal, they did not switch them from gloss to satin, but instead offered a satin line. Most likely in response to AA. True blue and banner red also came in satin. A spot by me still has a grip of the banner red. I prefer the satin colors, and the true blue is almost IMPOSIBLE to find. I think most of my terracottas are satin. I still have a couple cases of them, cleared out a few closeout spots in New England area that were carrying them a couple years ago. I used so much of that color I was just sick of it.

It pays to stop at a dumpster outside of a house when you see it being filled by the former homeowner. I scooped these today. I actually been eyeballing this dumpster for a few days and today Isaw the guy cleaning his house so I pulled over and asked "Hey, did you or do you have any spray cans you're tossing.?" His response, "Yeah, I just brought some out and they're in that bag on the ground I didn't throw in the dumpster yet. Just don't make a mess." in summation, my hands got very dirty, but my shelf just got a little fuller. All full, except the topless red (30% full).

DSC02092.jpg

Archived