Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your other 'disaster' option is to whack the can bottom (concave part) onto a heavy metal object with a sharp point/corner with just enough force to put a small hole in it, then just aim it at your sketch and fill with it till it's gone. The corner of the bar on a boxcar works but you'll probably get paint all over your freight spot. I did this with balky Krylon silvers at a layup and it took me an hour to rip up all the silver grass and dirt and throw it away and smooth over the ground.

Your other 'disaster' option is to whack the can bottom (concave part) onto a heavy metal object with a sharp point/corner with just enough force to put a small hole in it, then just aim it at your sketch and fill with it till it's gone. The corner of the bar on a boxcar works but you'll probably get paint all over your freight spot. I did this with balky Krylon silvers at a layup and it took me an hour to rip up all the silver grass and dirt and throw it away and smooth over the ground.

take notes kids

Got Rust Magic*?

Ok, so I just noticed a couple differences in some labels. Can anyone shed any light on this?

-Safety Purple has a smaller font for Rust Magic* but I noticed it was also not a registered trademark at that time. The can also has a slightly different label design.

-Gold, Copper & Silver notch. The Silver has Rust Magic* The other two do not. So... I think the Metalics & Primers don't, and maybe it's the Silver that's a miss-matched can? Anyone know?

Most metallics are designed for interior use only. Metallic paints use a different formula than regular enamels, and don't hold up well to weather. The only exception that i can think of are these.

SR_MtlcMtSlvrSP_L.jpg

I think jib was looking for the dope on the labeling of the cans, not the usage scenario. But good luck trying to figure it out - whereas Rusto had a slow, well documented series of label changes over the years, Krylon was all over the place, changing their label design and sub-markings almost every year. Add to that the different run times for colors introduced late, discontinued early, or printed for sale in other countries and it's a tangled web to get a picture of what can said what for year X.

That big face sounds neat, why dont you tell me the exact address that your hazmat guys dispose of them so I can pick them up instead of you. Oh wait I can google that. Thanks for the future cans.

Welcome to the present.

Archived