Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

As far as I can tell, MTN has a limited edition artist series that they put out every so often. Personally, I'm not that into most of the artwork and the fact that its designed to be collectable (when has a collectable ever been worth anything?), but I can respect someone who put in the effort to get a complete collection. That particular can is one of the nicer designs, in my opinion.

I'm much more interested in the old 90's-early 2000's Hardcore cans that said "MONTANA" rather than "MTNMTN", with the old Barcelona address, or the white, knock off cans made by Dupli, which is now German Montana. The few cans I did save I stupidly ruined by converting into pencil and brush holders. A pristine can has to be very rare nowadays, especially in North America.

As far as their value, who knows? They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay, like any other collectable. The high value of certain Krylon, Rusto, etc colors is mainly driven by the fact that the cans were never intended to be collected, so some colors are extremely rare and/or desirable. I'm not sure how the multitude of graffiti-focused artist series cans will fare, given that every one made is likely tucked away, and whoever wants them probably buys them upon release. Its hard to say, but typically items designed to be hoarded as collectibles rarely appreciate in value much.

• 6 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today I found something I've never seen before.

1963 Bernzomatic Spray Enamel, gloss black, paper label, metal cap. I can't find any images online other than this ad, and no spots on ebay.

https://books.google.com/books?id=D-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=bernzomatic+spray+paint&source=bl&ots=k_2ofdq6h1&sig=P04ABhZdlOgzzJptKI2ewM4Srr0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ya7WVK3jO4jfyASh-IKICQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=bernzomatic%20spray%20paint&f=false

Anybody know much about this other than the ad?

• 2 weeks later...
So today I found something I've never seen before.

1963 Bernzomatic Spray Enamel, gloss black, paper label, metal cap. I can't find any images online other than this ad, and no spots on ebay.

https://books.google.com/books?id=D-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=bernzomatic spray paint&source=bl&ots=k_2ofdq6h1&sig=P04ABhZdlOgzzJptKI2ewM4Srr0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ya7WVK3jO4jfyASh-IKICQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=bernzomatic spray paint&f=false

Anybody know much about this other than the ad?

There was only one release of these cans. Currently we have some of these, but they are not that easy to find.

4890896665_10468b0433_s.jpg.9922d8340e33a7937dd041aa25b3d8c2.jpgSpray Paint Collection by slyle133, on Flickr

damn Slyle seems to be back on 12oz ^^

Never really left, just been spending alot of our time focusing on our various projects. Not to mention 12oz has been a bit of a mess lately, but it seems like they have all the bugs worked out. Juca lets see what you got, time to get this thread jumping again...

Never really left, just been spending alot of our time focusing on our various projects. Not to mention 12oz has been a bit of a mess lately, but it seems like they have all the bugs worked out. Juca lets see what you got, time to get this thread jumping again...

not much,but i am really close to get the whole 80's euro dupli color serie. will post the pic next week when i get home.

Which now I'm reminded of the red-green show...

I used to love watching that show .

Here are some of mine, though these photos are at least 10 years old now. I have them in a box somewhere in storage, I need to look for them. I never had too much luck finding old cans, I picked most of these up at garage sales.

xp342t.jpg.218948f3271f0bd7346711458f527005.jpg

b3q6ty.jpg.acb172ada7929226bee358d9d3323aa0.jpg

n5q934.jpg.fdda0f9daba4839a6a46bb0b9cde86e6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I usually come across old paint from the 90's. I have some rustoes from the 90's, american accent, krylon and a growco from 96'. I like to collect what is relevant to myself, stuff that I used when I first started. Cap Matches Color made a good point on a recent photo I posted: to use the paint, save the empty and the memories. So thats what I am going to do, use up all the old paint and save the can to go along with the flick of the work I produce.

• 1 month later...

I've been hitting it hard, have some great stuff from the last month.

Found out recently that my local recycling center offers free paint that has been dropped off. I talked to the supervisor and he said they normally throw old stuff out, but if I can come back in the next couple weeks a few times to check in they can probably set some of it aside for me.

That said there were a couple old Rusto's (early 80s) and some old Paintomatic paper labels on the free shelf, and an Acme pint.

It might be worth checking in at your local recycling centers for that.

Also a good source for graff n dance paint as I grabbed about a dozen full cans of rusto and American accents and painters touch stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

IMGP1274.thumb.JPG.9e1f3c017a0fed7d3e26cdffdaeb8976.JPG

IMGP1275.thumb.JPG.25e257e111c57f13a9132f683dfee13e.JPG

The split color cap is one of my favorite cans I've seen. Raised lettering for the Nu-Tile Epoxy, 1964. IMGP1276.thumb.JPG.14c836e71d72c6f10be4dc1fd3795c64.JPG

I don't think the Raabe cap is correct, but still a happy find on those. The can on the left has its color hand written on the front.

Definitely bummed about the electrical tape over the Tempo label.IMGP1277.thumb.JPG.f8de166e44fb85c3bae2a4e1d8d29c8f.JPG

I don't know the age of these, but I find it hilarious that "Midget" was totally okay at some point.IMGP1279.thumb.JPG.7a6976449b285790714c516f1c10d348.JPG

The Plastikote is 1961. I believe the Turtlewax CARUST is 1974. Believe the K-marts are 84.

IMGP1280.thumb.JPG.f85d0a6c0641454d5d8b3eba88bde81b.JPG

Anyone know when the TuffnEasy's are from?IMGP1281.thumb.JPG.680cfb4f07de82a59e3a76b227e9d9bc.JPG

Stoked on the Sparvar. Unfortunately the plastic cap has a slight crack in it.IMGP1283.thumb.JPG.1b5dc70574cf956f0ae5725e5d04dff8.JPG

These are my last couple month's stuff. Lots of junk, but a few gems in there.

Always open for sale and trades, too.

IMGP1278.thumb.JPG.78b0b7065a6a9681f030e0f908539ab1.JPG

IMGP1282.thumb.JPG.0de0b5a36bf54b7fc07fac07b54571cd.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

man this shit sucks,first 3 weeks ago complete color chart of full never used,indoor found 80's litho dupli color cans ended up in flame at my buddies shop,i have lost around 300 cans in total,lost some 90's aerosol arts with a paper label,ended up with 30 cans which were in my house,they were all in awesome condition,(mix of 80's dupli and 90's aerosol art) and now out of fucking 30 cans 10 leaked out and covered all with some black shit,i thinks its base...fucked up pretty much every can,it was leaking all around the seam..i noticed it cuz whole house was smelling like a paint shop,went thro the 400 cans of new dupli color to see which one is leaking and only one had a small leak. and at the end all what was left to check was a box with old cans,and that shit killed my day. seems like i will be moving new cans out of my house...from all the shits i had and put a years of searching and miles of driving i ended up with 8 old cans,harwest gold fball from HAL,ultra flat black rusto and flatball jade from OG5BALL,abro from wow123 and few duplo colors...i'm done with digging since there is no fucking way you can find a old can here in croatia anymore,called every store.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Store link: capmatchescolor.bigcartel.com/

CMC is proud to officially announce our new line up of vintage spray heads. We spent the last year researching and trial testing these caps to bring you the best product possible. Introducing the CMC Jiffy cap, modeled after the infamous stock cap found on Jifoam oven cleaner, and the CMC Wally cap, modeled after the original stock cap found on Big Wally Wall Washer, the foaming-action household cleaner.

20077131346_52717309c2_z.jpg.8f6b2f2ceec2423d525083e6929a527d.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Store link: capmatchescolor.bigcartel.com/

CMC is proud to officially announce our new line up of vintage spray heads. We spent the last year researching and trial testing these caps to bring you the best product possible. Introducing the CMC Jiffy cap, modeled after the infamous stock cap found on Jifoam oven cleaner, and the CMC Wally cap, modeled after the original stock cap found on Big Wally Wall Washer, the foaming-action household cleaner.

[ATTACH=full]185663[/ATTACH]

Slyle, has anyone made a test vid? here in Croatia we had similar caps to Wally caps on a fly killer spray from 70's,early 80's called "Flok" and they work so good with new euro pains like belton,sabotaz,montana etc etc,they are soft fatcaps but they are also great skinny caps,so crisp and clean,but they had a black dot on the exact same body as cmc's wally's,so i was wondering if they are the same...please link the test if someone did it yet.

Slyle, has anyone made a test vid? here in Croatia we had similar caps to Wally caps on a fly killer spray from 70's,early 80's called "Flok" and they work so good with new euro pains like belton,sabotaz,montana etc etc,they are soft fatcaps but they are also great skinny caps,so crisp and clean,but they had a black dot on the exact same body as cmc's wally's,so i was wondering if they are the same...please link the test if someone did it yet.

We had a short clip on our instagram. That is definatley something we need to put together. If the bodies of the cap are the same they are probably made by same company. The company makes so many styles of caps, they would be similar but might have small differences. Initially we sampled a black body cap, but opted for the white because that is how people in the US remember them.

Archived