Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Thanks guys... All good info. Hal you're dead right about how much will fade away over a few years time. I really look at all my cans sometimes and think, well I can't take them with me, and really, I'd love to just sit and chill in a permanent graffiti museum some day, and see the reactions of folks just walking in and freaking out over an insane collection of preserved artifacts of the culture. Even if we all pooled our dup's into a donation. The day will come, I'm certain of that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That astro fat is the same as a pink dot or any of those other hooded euro tips as far as the outer structure. I think they're pretty comfortable.

Beige dots are great at sea level, but a bit dusty with most brands at +5000ft. The MTN 94 stocks are useless up here.

The only cap i can get to work consistently with Evolve, Ironlak, Fresh Paint etc is a NY Fat. Those yellow thins don't work at all for me.

That's really interesting HAL.

I pretty much use almost entirely US paint for bulk fills, (being thrifty), and reserving my long time fav - Belton, or now 94 for outlines/detail work. I just went to outline a new piece on Sat and the line from the stock 94s which I've loved in the past was awful, certainly not clean cut at the sides by any means. Now you got me thinking about reverting back to yellow skinnys based on your super flat/sharp work and details. All I'm looking for is a decent line with the minimal amount of cap headaches.

When living in CO back in the late 90s early 00s I remember the grey banana skinnys working ok on the Walmart Fashion Satin line before they killed that. Certain colors were the bomb, and I wish that stuff was still around. Sherwin Krylons I can't remember what worked best. I know for sure the altitude fucked with everything, but on the flip side it worked out tops coming from the UK and being used to a bender being around 8-9 pints rapidly went down to about 3-4 pints! Hey a cheap date!!

I've been sticking with Evolve and Fresh Paint for fills. I think it's fairly cheap and the color range is much broader than Rusto, plus the valve is ok and I can interchange caps. Those rusto adapters spray terrible up here in Denver. Every cap is dusty as hell and the pressure is so high. It's workable in cold weather, but once April rolls around, forget it. The stock tip isn't much different than what i get out of a NY Thin. Rusto colors seem so bland to me now. I must be spoiled by all the fancy colors.

I remember the Fashion Satin cans disappearing in the mid-late 90's on the east coast. I used to really like the Cobalt Blue.

Last time I went to visit family in Connecticut I went out for drinks that first night and hardly got a buzz on 4 beers. It went away after a couple days, unfortunately.

Back in the Rusto/Krylon days I would only use NY Thins and Rusto fats, pretty much. Some grey dots for Krylon when those came out. NY Thins are still my favorite. I prefer MTN 94 and Molotow for outlines, but Clash has grown on me over the past year. It's a bit cheaper and sprays really well. Spia Yellow is really opaque for a yellow, and very bright.

Due to competition on ebay I have reduced the starting price of many of my auctions on ebay. Many cans with no bids have now been lowered to $6.99 starting bid. If there is anything poeple would like to see up on there let me know....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/slyle133/m.html?hash=item4d00fdf92b&item=330729126187&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Anyone have problems shipping spray paint in USPS flat rate boxes?

I've shipped that way a couple of times; no problem, just alerted the postmaster it was aerosol and needed to ship ground.

Today, I went to a different post office with two flat rate boxes full of paint and one regular box full of paint. The employees told me I couldn't ship flat rate priority boxes ground, and I needed to provide ORM-D stickers myself.

From my understanding priority depending on distance has to go air sometimes (hence priority). Aerosol must be shipped ground, and has to be labeled that way. It also has to carry ORM-D sticker. Glad to finally hear it from another postal employee. Shipping cans priority and not labeled can end up getting your cans confiscated by the postal system. I have heard of it happening, but it is a rare case.

You can find orm-d labels online and then either print onto label paper, or just print onto regular paper and tape to boxes. I am told they have to be on all 4 sides of the boxes. I only know of 2-3 sellers that ships that way. I know alot of people ship priority, or in poorly packed boxes. Never a good idea. And after having a can leak, I make sure to try and wrap each can individually just in case. You never know what type of heat they are going to be subject to, and the handling can cause a buildup f pressure.

From my understanding priority depending on distance has to go air sometimes (hence priority). Aerosol must be shipped ground, and has to be labeled that way. It also has to carry ORM-D sticker. Glad to finally hear it from another postal employee. Shipping cans priority and not labeled can end up getting your cans confiscated by the postal system. I have heard of it happening, but it is a rare case.

You can find orm-d labels online and then either print onto label paper, or just print onto regular paper and tape to boxes. I am told they have to be on all 4 sides of the boxes. I only know of 2-3 sellers that ships that way. I know alot of people ship priority, or in poorly packed boxes. Never a good idea. And after having a can leak, I make sure to try and wrap each can individually just in case. You never know what type of heat they are going to be subject to, and the handling can cause a buildup f pressure.

What about volume restrictions? One post office employee told me parcels could not exceed 1 liter of volume in aerosol. That's 33 ounces, about three cans.

@Infra I've never come across this. Interesting. There should be a laminated guide behind the counter with more info on items with restrictions. You can ask to see it, but whether or not your USPS person is helpful all depends. I've sent up to a dozen many times. Red marker 'Surface Mail' and the stickers from behind the counter are all they need.

@Infra I've never come across this. Interesting. There should be a laminated guide behind the counter with more info on items with restrictions. You can ask to see it, but whether or not your USPS person is helpful all depends. I've sent up to a dozen many times. Red marker 'Surface Mail' and the stickers from behind the counter are all they need.

Yeah, the laminated guide was what they were looking at when they said no more than a liter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived