Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

There is def. alot more older paint out there than you would think. With the amount of collectors out there all it takes is for one good score of a case or two of colors and everything gets screwed up. Given kids are picking up this hobby each and every day there is by far alot more paint out there than I think we can imagine. The fucked up thing of it all is that alot of it is getting thrown out and destroyed, used, and who knows what else....prime ex. bout a year or two ago this kid came upon probably one of the best paint finds I have ever heard of. For those that have been around awhile this is when the first mint green apeared. Now fucked up thing was this kid had no idea bout old paint, and what he had. He was actually using this paint, worst thing was some of the cans would not spray so they just decided to destroy them buy crushing them and throwing them against a wall. I know for a fact a few mint greens were used or destroyed, along with hot raspberry. For all I know icy grape and pineaple yellow could have been in that. This find he had was all 68-75 krylons along with some notch tops and name on cans. Now being un educated about this, some of the cans were able to be saved by going to the spot via a little investigating and get scooped up by someone who knew what to do with them. What he had not used, and had left was sold off on ebay, and I had the opportunity to purchase a few remaing cans at a pretty resonable price...all in all, if this was not kept a secret who knows what kind of cans could have been saved...there is still a few krylon cans out there that I have never seen or heard of. Pennant blue and peacock blue krylon , are prime examples, I know of only one of them out there, forget which one it is. Just recently some early examples of fool size krylons have poped up, something that I dont know of anyone seeing. There is also the elusive half size 68 krylons. White, Avo, Black, and some fluros are out there, but what about the hot pink, or burnt orange ones? Also early 60's farm and implement krylons with the funky farmer on the front, only seen ads with the cans, and never the cans themselves. Point is, I would rather more people know about this it gives us a better chance of finding some of these cans we may never see...and if who I think it is puts out a book, I aint buying it....but thats just me

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Could not tell you much about that java brown. I think I have seen those cans at some discount stores, but not sure. Dont let a paper label and small top fool you. Alot of times it is just a cheaper way of packaging cans. Most of the times cans like that are made by larger companies like Seymour for smaller outfits. Look on the back and you might be able to decipher some infor....

Now that second cans is a nice one. In very good condition for its age. That is the second one I have seen in a few weeks. I believe gambles to have been an old department store. Now I know woolworth used to distribute paint called home cote, and that was made by red devil. I dont think there is anyconnection of the two, but most likely that too was made by a larger company. It is most likely at least late 50's or very early 60's....How do I know this? You can tell cause the front of the can is all virgin graphics. No warnings or anything, just pure product. I love those older cans, for that specific reason. Looks like it is a shorter can, not a full size one. Take a flic of the back of it if you can, so that whatever is written is legible, and I might be able to tell you more.

yeah i got 2 kans of it in perfect condition, jus fond this...thanks for the info tho...

In 1925, the first Gamble-Skogmo store opened in St. Cloud, Minnesota. The second and third stores opened in Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota, respectively. Their business survived many financial crises, including the depression of the 1930s. Gamble was company president at Gamble-Skogmo from 1925-45 and was chairman of the board until his retirement in 1977. The company was acquired in 1980 by the California based Wickes Corporation.

oh yeah and any info on rusto green aluminum 1030? is it hard to find i never really seen it or heard to much about it let me knoe thanks ......

I finally finished cleaning out this thread. Removed all dead links, old trade/wishlists, and useless chatter. All pertinent info and working images are still here. If you've posted any wish lists, you may want to repost, as I've most likely deleted the old one. If anyone has any problems in this thread, PM me and I'll take care of it ASAP.

On that note, here's some stuff I'm looking for. Mostly big ticket cans and such. The Icy and Pineapple are to replace cans I once had and since traded out. Any year/style can is fine, and I will consider paying for them.

Any Nybco Wet Look cans

Krylon Icy Grape

Krylon Pineapple Yellow

Krylon Mint Green

Krylon Surf Green

Krylon Pastel Pink (not pink pastel)

Krylon Puritan Grey

Krylon International Orange

Rusto Navy Grey (preferably '72-'73 scottie cans for all)

Rusto Orange

Rusto Fed Safety Purple

Rusto Fed Safety Blue

Rusto Fed Safety Green

Also looking for user cans of....

American Accents Indian Spice

American Accents Autumn Gold

Rusto Sandstone

Rusto Graystone

Rusto Adobe

Krylon Pacific Blue

Krylon Teal Blue

Krylon Violet

Krylon Orchard Green

Krylon Victorian Blue

I have plenty of stuff to trade. No cash deals please unless it's reasonable, I can't afford the prices. Slyle and Joe, holler at me when you read this, I'd like to touch base.

My favorites. Left to right are Aqua Turquoise, Dunes Tan, Jungle Green, Hash Brown, Hot Dog Mustard, Ford Gray, OD Khaki, Hot Raspberry and Spanish Brown. Also pictured is a nice box of old Markals, paint chips from my favorite walls and a couple Jifoam caps.

[attachmentid=10062]

PaintCollection02.jpg.bfd5c3e64fcbb9d0309397323ef3404d.jpg

Last flick for now. Just a couple odd cans and tins i haven't put anywhere else. The Caldor paint is gray primer. My guess is late 70's/early 80's. The tins are Kyanize Lustrous Enamel Wysteria, Glidden Jap-A-Lac Ivory (both from the 40's at least), 1959 Rust-oleum Cascade Green, and 60's Derusto Orange.

[attachmentid=10064]

PaintCollection04.jpg.5f0fa3f619af082bfbc7bf3c0b2db376.jpg

Originally posted by Old Growth@Mar 11 2005, 08:50 AM

and 60's Derusto Orange.

[attachmentid=10064]

i just came up on a shit ton of those derusto cans (1 sparay in bad shape, and a gang of the quarts and pints) i really got into the derusto steez recently , but the colors are amazing and the label design (the black background jams from the late 60's or so) is on point as well. regardless its a more or less slept on brand.

Originally posted by badmotorfinger+Mar 11 2005, 10:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (badmotorfinger - Mar 11 2005, 10:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 11 2005, 08:50 AM

and 60's Derusto Orange.

i just came up on a shit ton of those derusto cans (1 sparay in bad shape, and a gang of the quarts and pints) i really got into the derusto steez recently , but the colors are amazing and the label design (the black background jams from the late 60's or so) is on point as well. regardless its a more or less slept on brand.

[/b]

1968 BRIGHT GOLD ENAMEL for trade.Get at me dune493@hotmail.com

BRIGHTGOLDENAMEL1968.jpg

*In the future, please resize your flicks to somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pixels so it doesn't fuck up the screen size. Thanks.....OG

Originally posted by bostonwriter@Mar 11 2005, 09:15 AM

im looking for krylon hot rasberry

hit me up with a pm

I'd love to make it happen for you, but none of the paint in the flicks is up for trade. The only thing I would consider letting a display can go for is a Nybco Wet Look can in as good condition as possible. Like the two in the flick above.

Originally posted by badmotorfinger+Mar 11 2005, 11:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (badmotorfinger - Mar 11 2005, 11:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 11 2005, 08:50 AM

[/b]

I really like Derusto paint. In recent years I think they've taken a turn for the worse, though. I got a couple cans of hi-heat black from Big Lots a week or two ago and the shit is watery garbage. Very surprising. The older stuff is pure gold, and the tins are excellent for painting canvases, if you're into that. I recall them making a really nice clover green lookalike. The only problem is that it takes forever to dry, like Rusto-leum.

nice to see some more replies in this thread..

im always on the lookout for some speedy sized cans (specifically interested in rusto and krylon speedy's) i have a fair amount of stuff to trade for them..

pastel aqua notch tops, harvest gold notch tops, many ingredient label and barcode krylon rust magic cans, green primer notch tops, hot pink name labels, pastel aqua name labels and more - all ready to be traded for speedy sized cans

let me know

Originally posted by dune493+Mar 11 2005, 11:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dune493 - Mar 11 2005, 11:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by badmotorfinger@Mar 11 2005, 10:44 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 11 2005, 08:50 AM

and 60's Derusto Orange.

BRIGHTGOLDENAMEL1968.jpg

*In the future, please resize your flicks to somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pixels so it doesn't fuck up the screen size. Thanks.....OG

[/b]

Is this size better KILLER?

Originally posted by dune493+Mar 12 2005, 12:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dune493 - Mar 12 2005, 12:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by dune493@Mar 11 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by badmotorfinger@Mar 11 2005, 10:44 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Mar 11 2005, 08:50 AM

and 60's Derusto Orange.

BRIGHTGOLDENAMEL1968.jpg

Is this size better KILLER?

[/b]

AVO. up for trade.DSCI0034.jpg