Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Nocomply - Basically what you will want/need to do is get a power drill and a drill bit, preferably a small diameter bit, and drill a hole in the bottom of the can. By this I mean you will just drill enough in the center of the bottom of the can to let the gas escape. This is why a small bit is best. I have been using one, the only one I have, and it's too big so it often bursts thru the can and often shoots paint out too. Be careful when doing this because I pretty much engulfed myself in a rather large fireball the other day because the drill sparked and caught the gas on fire. Needless to say the garbage can, filled with hissing cans from gas escaping from them, also burst into flames and upon trying to flip the can over to smother the fire a few cans got away from me and began rolling down the street like mini flame throwers. It was definitely a learning experience.

Here's some guidelines to follow:

*Have a fire extinguisher handy or some water just in case.

*Wear eye protection as the drill can toss little metal pieces into your face.

*Wear old clothes.

*Do it in a place that can get dirty.

*Try to drill with the can pointing down so that when it starts emptying it doesn't spray all over your face.

*Let the paint fall into an empty box or garbage can with some dirt in it or sand or kitty litter. You'll throw that in the trash after it gets absorbed.

Wear a vapor respirator so you don't have to breathe anything in.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

With paint gallons/pints/quarts you can just empty the paint ( or use it to prime a wall) into a container with dirt or sand etc. and recycle them along with the aerosol cans. It's considered light tin so you will probably get an amount reflecting that metal type when and if they pay you. The price of metals fluctuates, like any other commodity, but I recently got 8 cents per pound for the cans and walked away with $8.20 for a little over 10 pounds of weight. Normal municipal recycling programs often do not take paint which is why I take it to a privately owned metal scrap facility. Been taking old car and boat and believe it or not batteries for Big Wheels riding cars for kids there too and getting $10.00 a piece for them. All to go back into my paint fund. Just started all of this myself and thus far I've made $49.00 in a week. Not too bad.

Hope this helps. Any other thoughts or questions feel free to contact me, anyone that is.

V.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ehhhhh, wrong. Unseparated metal gets you very little money. When you separate according to type of metal the money is right. I should point out it's not about the money, it's about being responsible with trash. Yeah, so it took 3 garbage cans and 2 garbage bags full of empties to get $8.00. But since I did it for good 'ol mother nature, the money is incidental. Sort of like your ebay listings, you know, how there's no mention of contents or condition. Thanks for your thoughts, though I had to correct them as to not deter others from doing the responsible thing if they so choose.

mayne........you smart.

Anything that has solvents or VOCs pretty much. All spray paint, carb cleaner, shit cars, brand new cars sitting the dealer lot have those stickers on em. California stated the labeling requirement around 86-87 time frame. Most companies just stuck those stickers on their products until they could do a label update or revision. Here is a link to a pretty good plain english explanation.

http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/background/p65plain.html

I got my copy almost 3 weeks ago now and it's a most have if you're into graff... I was really surprised that this was the cover under the dust jacket because in my opinion for the topic of the book it really didn't fit, now a pic of a bunch of cans at the base of a wall, yeah that would have been better...

@ Kreaturesleeper - I can get you a color chart for those premium decor cans if you want for trade. Also, the Boulevard is a really nice blue to use. Have one or 2 left that I'm trying to use at some point.

eariler @ slyle i.e. puncturing cans. - That was a thought but my stick with a nail attached to it is missing so I went high tech with the drill. But yes, that would be something to try. My feeling is that the drill gives you the option of only going into the can so far. You know, just the tip. We've all played that game with the ladies before, right fellas.? Ah those warm youthful summer nights.

eariler @ slyle i.e. puncturing cans. - That was a thought but my stick with a nail attached to it is missing so I went high tech with the drill. But yes, that would be something to try. My feeling is that the drill gives you the option of only going into the can so far. You know, just the tip. We've all played that game with the ladies before, right fellas.? Ah those warm youthful summer nights.

Sorry for being so primitive. I know of someone that would puncture cans and then use them for a fill. If you puncture just right you can get it to spry in a fan pattern....messy, but gets the job done....great for frozen or clogged valves....

Sorry for being so primitive. I know of someone that would puncture cans and then use them for a fill. If you puncture just right you can get it to spry in a fan pattern....messy, but gets the job done....great for frozen or clogged valves....

I've been popping cans for years. Back when i lived on the east coast, it would be a bad idea to leave cans laying around at the walls. Kids would come down there, find a can with a couple squirts left, and before you know it a whole stretch of pieces are lined. We'd just pop all our empties and throw them over the wall after we finished painting, or carry them back in a plastic bag if we were at a legal spot.

I generally have a pocket knife on me that I use to pop cans. I lay the can on it's side, so all the paint is laying at the bottom, and carefully twist a small hole in the upper portion of the can. That way, when you stand it back up, paint isn't flying everywhere. It's pretty controlled, and I've gotten sprayed in the face maybe 2-3 times over the past 10 years. I've also used a spade drill bit, which works great because it will only drive into the can about a 1/4" before stopping. You can pop a can with just about anything. Broken boards with nails and screws, telephone poles with staples or nails in them, the edge of dumpsters and doors, chainlink fences, bolts, whatever has a corner or point.....

I think a drill would be much more dangerous, since once the hole is made, all the gas escapes at once. With a knife or awl, you can make a very small hole to start, and expand it if you want.

OD Khaki name label, if you are finding bordens on store shelves you should be grabbing them up. That is a rare occurence these days...

yeah, they still have a few on the shelf, i wanted to pick them up but i paid full price for the OD Khaki and the Safety Greens, and i didnt have enough cash on me. all of the other ones i was lucky enough to snag for a dollar each. i am definitely going back to get them though.

@ Kreaturesleeper - I can get you a color chart for those premium decor cans if you want for trade. Also, the Boulevard is a really nice blue to use. Have one or 2 left that I'm trying to use at some point.

Ill definitely take you up on that offer when I can get a few more colors and some duplicates. And yes the Boulevard is a great color. I had two but ended up using one, and was very pleased with it. I wish I could find another Apricot Brandy because it looks like it would be a great color.

Archived