Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EPMD your right on the light beige, pewter sounds correct too.....

As far as bootlegging, I get that....but guys do that with cars all the time. Take a satelite and make it a roadrunner and so on. An educated collector should know when something has been screwed with.

How many times do people send cans and tops are wrong, playing ignorance about it. Saying they found it that way. When you find "Outdoor" cans (Flea Markets, garage sales, second hand not NOS) you have to assume tops could be switched. I have even seen stuff on shelves in stores that had tops mistakenly switched. The worst is you get a can where the top looks wrong, you take off the top and the can under is destroyed, like it has not had a top for 20+ years and someone added a top to it. Or swapping tops to make a can look legit. I have heard of people doing it to pineapple yellow because krylon had so many yellows. I have sold and traded cans with tops that I put on or painted, BUT I ALWAYS inform the new owner that it is not the correct/original top.

EPMD your right on the light beige, pewter sounds correct too.....

As far as bootlegging, I get that....but guys do that with cars all the time. Take a satelite and make it a roadrunner and so on. An educated collector should know when something has been screwed with.

How many times do people send cans and tops are wrong, playing ignorance about it. Saying they found it that way. When you find "Outdoor" cans (Flea Markets, garage sales, second hand not NOS) you have to assume tops could be switched. I have even seen stuff on shelves in stores that had tops mistakenly switched. The worst is you get a can where the top looks wrong, you take off the top and the can under is destroyed, like it has not had a top for 20+ years and someone added a top to it. Or swapping tops to make a can look legit. I have heard of people doing it to pineapple yellow because krylon had so many yellows. I have sold and traded cans with tops that I put on or painted, BUT I ALWAYS inform the new owner that it is not the correct/original top.

y wrong tops are fucked up shit,you w8ing for your can and then bam,shits like home printed bar code "jungle green" on some plastikote green top,top wont even sit on the can 100%,i hate reglued shits

Also:

Indian Spice

Midnight Blue (I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned! I used to love outlining silvers with this)

Wildflower Blue

Summer Squash

Autumn Gold

Yes, Midnight blue too. I filled with it a few times and it ate my outline. Seems like AA sometimes does that. Recently Iris and Wildflower made me wait like 15 minutes before it would stop absorbing my outline color into it's infinite chasm. Don't see it on shelves any longer.

I should clarify, I was stating my opinion on the matter of the above 2 cans. I think I mostly boiled my main interest in color names. Like those names that really have a smoothness to them or fruit or animal names for example. Parrot Green or Lemon Yellow for instance. Throwing a cool or a hot in front helps coax me into a drool from time to time too. I've never had the occasion to use an Icy Grape or a Hot Pink, but I can only imagine if I did a split fill fade with icy on the top and hot on the bottom that Shaq would all of a sudden appear trying to sell me an Errshy Hert Berck Pertch...

They have anything in them..?

did a split fill fade with icy on the top and hot on the bottom that Shaq would all of a sudden appear trying to sell me an Errshy Hert Berck Pertch...

your creativity is appreciated around here, young man! :)

the more i think about it, i think i like the idea of "rebuilding" cans. boombox collectors reproduce the original labels that were over the speaker grills to make their obviously used boxes look as if they were still in the store. in my opinion, the more time passes, it will get considerably harder to find many cans in store-quality shape (1- or higher) and we'll all be settling for "dumpers" and used cans. if repro'ing cap labels helps maintain the history and chronology of cans, then i'm for it. it does have to be done with care and taste, and there lies the rub, as they say.

Flecto is a classic, they made amazing colors and their earlier cans aren't fansprays. IIRC, the Envy Green was noted for being a thick green in that shade back whenever, something that Jungle notoriously wasn't. i think multiple collectors have a few here and there, but it'd be awesome to see someone work on collecting that line. it's not an easy one.

ahhhh Lucite. DuPont paint, clearly, in a later can style. their paint cans go way back. check to see what it contains, since the older ones use "plasticized coconut" as a base... who can forget that? also a brand that's pretty cool and came in great colors.

you guys are coming up on some great cans, keep at it!

I have a huge stock of 70's(maybe some 60's, haven't seen all the boxes) Flecto sleeping in my hometown for years...I gotta get them soon, when i'll have some place to stock them. Maybe i'll get some ill colors like Envy Green. Anyone has a Flecto chart?

I was checking the charts on CMC, and i was wondering...Krylon Pontiac Blue looks like an amazing blue doesn't it? Ford Green too...

I was also checking Krylon color chart in Fuzz's first book, and was wondering if anybody has the complete Krylon set, with auto colors, splatters, implement and others?

They made those cans in hundreds of colors all to match car colors. Most are metallic shades and some are not. Just like it says on the can it was made to duplicate your cars original color, using for touch up. Lots of companies used to make cans like that, but not that much anymore.

They made those cans in hundreds of colors all to match car colors. Most are metallic shades and some are not. Just like it says on the can it was made to duplicate your cars original color, using for touch up. Lots of companies used to make cans like that, but not that much anymore.

they are good collectible cans,and now rare they are today? rarest then 80's flatball?

plz can you post any of thoose cans if you have any...

Archived