Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

i dont know if this is a stupid question but what is considered to be the most gangsta of all cans? what is a must have for every collector...i know peeps desire different things but humor me...i just recently got interested in collecting and i know peeps who have spent hundreds of $$$ on just one can alone...bugs me out...i believe it was for a mint green...not sure of brand or year...i know cascade green is up there...pineapple...rustos...what else?

Guest 5:00 Shadow

you named a couple right there, but it all depends on what you are into... you will see a really really hard to find can on ebay soon... just wait and see, i dont want to spoil it... i would be willing to bet the reserve is set so high no one will be able to buy it, but you'll see a missin' link can, here's a hint its krylon and its a '66...

aside from that, big face devils are dope, 62-67 rustos, icy grape, hot raspberry in krylon.... wet looks are "gangsta" it all depends...

Originally posted by Thomas Crown

i dont know if this is a stupid question but what is considered to be the most gangsta of all cans? what is a must have for every collector...i know peeps desire different things but humor me...i just recently got interested in collecting and i know peeps who have spent hundreds of $$$ on just one can alone...bugs me out...i believe it was for a mint green...not sure of brand or year...i know cascade green is up there...pineapple...rustos...what else?

for me teh most gansta cans are ICY GRAPE mmmmm...and JUNGLE GREEN YO!.......i had a dream last nite i found a case of icy grape......man that was the best dream ever....hahaha.....

ain't nothing "gangsta" about collecting spray paint

komik- yeah, i have corals with those "New!" caps.. those were on all 12 'Fashion Colors' for a minute when they came out in '89.

icy grape and jungle green are probably the 2 most HYPED krylon colors by writers.. they were hyped back in the 80's and they're hyped now. why exactly isn't important.. but colors like Spanish Brown (a gorgeous caramel color), Baby Blue, Chippewa, Plum, Pastel Aqua and so on aren't as talked about but just as fresh. Then there's sleepers like Teal Blue and Terracotta, 2 killer colors to use.

it's whatever u like, that's all.

speaking of 'gangsta'....it's not about a salary, it's all about reality.

some ebay gems-

Krylon Plum Name Label (early 80's)

50's Krylon Crystal Clear

78 Rusto Mandarin

64 Krylon 6oz car color

Re: festival green

Originally posted by FatUgly

that color is dope, i'd take that shit buy the case

~~~>Do they still make "mediterranean teal"? I have a 1995 can. dope color also. oh ya i got some cans to trade right now a paper label Brass , mint, unused KRYLON Borden. looking to get another krylon mint unused, doesnt need to be paper label. i also have a rusto scootie Flat White. mint , unused 1973. I will only trade this one for another rusto can. must be full and mint or near mint. let me know! peace to all!

My Paint Collector's "Starter Kit"

Verse and Zew have been helping me out on all of this.....just recently got bitten byh the Collector Bug so here's what i have as of right now.....

Krylon:

1968 Spanish Brown Fatseam,#/name on can,fatseam,w/condom,Borden

1991 Pastel Yellow S.W.,Good Housekeeping on side

2-1991 Avocado S.W.,Good Housekeeping (one barcode on,one missing)

ca.1970's Harvest Gold Paper Label Borden,Name on Can,Good House.

ca.1980's Burnt Orange Borden,Good House.

1991 "new" Terracotta,S.W.

1991 Sunset Orange,S.W.

ca.1980's Popsicle Orange Barcode,Borden,Good House.

ca.1980's O.D. Khaki Barcode,Borden,Good House.

1991 Baby Blue,S.W.

Rusto:

1973 Avocado Green Scottie,#/name on can,fatseam

2-1994 Festival Green Name Labels

1983 Rusty Metal Primer Ingredient Label (empty)

Derusto:

ca.1970's Seafoam Green Paper Label

ca.1970's Industrial Green Paper Label

ca.1970's Pale Gray Paper Label

Others:

ca.1980's Sparvar Engine Color,Chevrolet Orange,Paper Label

1983 Sprayon Osha Purple Small Top,paper label

ca.1980's Growco Light Green,barcode

ca.1970's Tru-Test Supreme Seal Brown Paper Label (empty)

ca.1980's Cook&Dunn Danger Orange paper label,ingredient label on top

.....trying to build up enough for some trades.....im willing to let go of one of the Krylon Avocado's,One of the Derusto's,and possibly the Burnt Orange for trade.....anyone interested?

• 3 weeks later...

I got the spanish brown if you need them, though they are older and I would not use them. I do have tons of odkhaki, and other newer colors they do not make anymore if people want to use some of the classics, and not feel so bad. Starting prices on most cans $5 each with a one case minimum. Inquire for color list.

collection

the silver 1964 is not full but it was the first can i found.

the avacado (rusto) is full...... got it on ebay

american accents-- i know i'm missing a few but i have a ton of summer squashes and indian spice. the indian spice they dont make anymore so if anyone wants to trade.

i was focusing my collecting to old krylons. mainly bordens and bar codes but i've picked up a few other cans along the way

and the painters touch i noticed i had alot of colors in my using stash so i put one can of each color aside so that in twenty years the might become collectibles <---niggas gotta start some where

i'm missing a few colors on that one too i've been meaning to stop at home depot and pick up what i don't have.

the woodsavers on the other hand is a funny story.

i went to the local hardware store to pick up a tube of caulk (home ownership type shit) and while i was there i notice a can of old rusto (horizon blue) that i didn't remember ever seeing before so i grabbed it. on my way out the door i ask the guy behind the counter if he had any older cans and he said that he had just threw out all his old stock.

then this girl says "oh i think we still have some in the back" they turned out to be the woodsavers i told him i was looking for one of each color he had so he goes in the back and comes out with this box

seven cans total i say "how much?" and he says just take them i was like bet thanks alot and left before he could change his mind.

just goes to show there are still some decent people out there

peace

bem

anyone really know there rustos?

i got in an argument about what the caps look like on a "67 rusto. The can i have looks like old school cap, weird color, wavy etc. The one this guy was saying looks like a modern day tester cap? is that right? can anyone settle this dilema? i refered to a "National Blue" He was looking at his "ready -mixed Aluminum" i know someone out there knows...let it be known. I got cans to trade hit me up!

Re: anyone really know there rustos?

Originally posted by Mr. clasico

i got in an argument about what the caps look like on a "67 rusto. The can i have looks like old school cap, weird color, wavy etc. The one this guy was saying looks like a modern day tester cap? is that right? can anyone settle this dilema? i refered to a "National Blue" He was looking at his "ready -mixed Aluminum" i know someone out there knows...let it be known. I got cans to trade hit me up!

every one of the 67's i've seen has the red stock tip with a white center.. these are the caps that come on the cans, as they've got the removable 'condom' over them. i have also seen a white stock tip on one of them, but i have no way of knowing if it was replaced.

post pics if you need more.

I thought I had a pic of retardo, I need joe to help me on that one I think. I do happen to have some of these pics for you...most of them are on containslead, and the rest were on here originally from the first few pages. Since they dont show anymore, here they are again...

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000035.jpg'>

An old allentown spray paint. Notice the speedy dry bite, or should I say rusto stole from them, I think they were first.

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000036.jpg'>

Chineese reds, I am looking for cans in this color name only. The masury is dynasty red, but close enough.

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000037.jpg'>

Supro white, dig the funky 70's wallpaper graphics.

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000038.jpg'>

Monroe walnut, one of the first odds I found, along with some nice non-odds. Everyone rembers their first, this is where it all started.

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000039.jpg'>

Kmart skinny can. Diamater of a speedy dry, but as tall as a normal can.

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00226452f00000040.jpg'>

50's Utilac. Found the cans in one store and the sign in another all in one day. Another find from the early days of digging...

Thats all for now. I have some mini 6oz avocados that I am selling for $80 each. Mint with condoms, I also have a mint 68 pastel aqua for sale, and one MINT GREEN 1968 fat seam with condom. Get at me if your interested.

Re: but it is not as cool as these

Originally posted by /-|3e|_____

http://www.iasco-tesco.com/SPRAYPNT/weekend.jpg'>

oh boy... Weekend.

it's shitty paint with an interesting history.

you stole the picture off a website, but those are new, recent cans that Sherwin Williams makes. budget budget stuff.

but originally, IllBronze made that line, with some really really nice colors. Sky Blue and Desert Orange come to mind.

Desert Orange? who put THAT together?!

Originally posted by JUDONO?

Does anyone collect OSH paint? The one with the paper label? I got this delphinium blue that has 1984 on the back? Any info ?

I don't think anyone really focuses on OSH.. I know that it's still made and sold in Orchard Supply Hardware stores. And yes, it is still made with a paper label.

I am unaware of any colors being discontinued, but then again OSH isn't anywhere near me. Californians?

check espos book

OSH is the shit! (to me anyway) heres the story. all paper labels say 1984 on the back. THEY ARE NOT PAPER LABEL ANYMORE. most stores you might find some, but most carry only the metal cans with the new can design and shape. the colors are the same, but i still think the paper labels are cool cans. they are discontinued and getting harder to find every day. the plum was discontinued all the way, so a paper label of the plum would be nice to have. dope fiend blue is the illest color osh ever made! i would want it if i didnt already have it!:shook: :shook: :shook: :shook: :shook:

Archived