Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slyle CMC

Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Question what year did they start taking lead out of Spraypaint ...

This concerns me because my kid had bloodwork done today

And he had high levels of lead in his system..

He will be fine but I was wondering if the early 60's and 70's cans had lead in them

I know Joe-Welcome can be more precise with this. MOST but not all spray paint never really had lead in it. In most commercial paints for private use lead was removed by the time they made it to aerosol. You do however see it in some industrial brands up to the 60's and 70's. Even I think rusto forest green still had lead in it by 72. I am pretty sure your darker greens were some of the only ones that carried lead.

I can say for sure that mostly all of your krylons never had lead in them like some guys tend to suggest, but thats not to say they did not have other crazy ass chemicals that are known to do damage.

lead can contaminate a person in various ways. certainly an airborne propelled paint will be an excellent way to do it, but slyle is right, most spray paint doesn't have it. there were all kinds of organic solvents (not the good organic like Whole Foods organic either) in old paint, and if you're just grabbing whatever paint you can find in the early 80s and 70s, then it's possible you had some paint with lead in it. the US Consumer Product Safety Commission banned lead in all consumer products in 1978, but most of the spray paint industry was lead free before that. Rust-oleum was a bit late (last one with lead was 1972 Forest Green), because they were an industrial company (not the mainstream Painter's Touch Rust-oleum like Home Depot Painter's Touch either). if you used spray paint like Trapper or John Deere touch-up paints for tractors and mowers, then that had lead in it. if you found a bunch of old paint lying around from the 60s and used it, then it's SLIGHTLY more possible. this is not scientific, you have to find out exactly what your friend was using to get a better idea.

long story short, it's not impossible that spray paint helped cause it. but the reason that household deleading is such a big industry is that you spend a LOT more time in your home, exposed to lead dust and lead chips than you do elsewhere. did your friend use leaded paint every time he/she painted? probably not. you can get lead from lousy tapwater, or from vegetables that you planted in your own garden (if you have lead-heavy soil and don't test it) and that's more likely. frequency is a major factor also. i'm certain the doctors will tell them where to look, but lead poisoning is no joke.

European paints had lead in spray paint cans for a longer time, i'm sure of 80's Altona(Mode 2 talks about it in an itw), cause i got cans in my collection that indicates 1,2% of lead in the composition, maybe more, i'd have to check.

It wasn't my friend it was my son he's 3

25%

reg levels are 5%

they did a finger test that is not so accurate

Bloodwork today hope all is well

I have yet to get tested

paint was one of the things I thought of when I found out

They check all kids for lead levels at pediatricians

I have alot of rustos and other brands of paint

I thought it was banned from use earlier than 78'

So 72 forest green eh I recently sold a forest green 72..

Makes me wonder

Be safe guys

I'd get your friends to test their home, starting with his bedroom. Curious if it's an old house? They often say that window ledges, door frames etc are a good place to start in case there are layers of old paint underneath, and so I've read from lead studies kids tend to bite at window ledges when they are that age... seems strange right? That's what I read. What about toys? All the toys that have been recalled that were shipped in from China with lead based paint. I'm sure tests on toys have become WAY more stringent these days after the initial scare, but I'd get your friends online to research as much as possible.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/116/4/1036.full

Yeh he doesn't have access to my paint collection..

It's nice to know as much about it being in Spraypaint

As possible..I have many cans older than 72 rustos..

I will be sure to wash my hands very well after handling them..

I'm sure toys from china or contaminated soil is the culprit..

Be careful guys shot is real..

Don't eat after a dig w/o washing your hands thoroughly

And don't smoke blunts with paint on them while painting..

:)

I just looked at my cans and

Forest green 68

And forest green 72

Both have lead it says it on the

Back of the can.. Not sure if any other

Rusto or krylon colors have lead for sure

I just looked at my cans and

Forest green 68

And forest green 72

Both have lead it says it on the

Back of the can.. Not sure if any other

Rusto or krylon colors have lead for sure

Check the Yellows, yellow is a color that needs lead to be thick.

Are you sure the forrest green is a 68 and not a 67? I thought the only color that has a 68 date was avocado...

Check the Yellows, yellow is a color that needs lead to be thick.

Not true. Yellow does not need lead to be thick, lead only adds brilliance and permanence. There are thick yellows by all the Euro brands and they are not leaded. I have used yellows with lead that are runny and not thick. Again, you have to be careful what you assume-- once again, WE MUST NOT glamorize lead, especially when one of our children here has elevated lead levels.

Yellows, reds, greens, and way way before spray paint, white all had lead at one point.

I remember growing up and people still calling those #2 pencils we all had to use for our SAT's etc "lead pencils" when in fact they were graphite.

what about chromated paint or whatever i see on here, chromium would be pretty toxic too i think, then you have all the other heavy metals..aluminum paint has small flakes of aluminum i believe, that's what makes it so shiny, ive heard alum is linked to breast cancer (anti-pers. with alum silicate or something)..i do notice on old tins of rusto they actually list the pigments and ingredients which is pretty cool

Pencils were one of the first things they took lead out of

Not sure about the silvers aluminum

Ive Herd aluminum causes problems but not sure what

but xylene melts brain tissue on contact and

All the oldie paint has xylene..

I believe most paint still does have Xylene, as well as Toluene. Krylon and Rusto certainly do. As far as I know, the only paints that don't have xylene are some of the new nitro/acrylic formulas coming out of Europe, like MTN 94 and supposedly the reformulated German Montana stuff. I'd also heard that Ironlak and the other Chinese brands are xylene free, but still contain some toluene.

As far as lead goes, I don't think it's a bit issue unless you're exposed for a prolonged period of time, or it's in massive quantities. When I was working as a commercial painter, my lead levels were always anywhere from 15-35, and that with all the protective gear. If you're just spraying one can of paint for a fill one time, you're not going to die. If you do it every week, then it might become a problem.

Evening all,heres a tin of vintage unused Marabu Buntlack german graphic spray, I dont know how to tell the year but the design is def 80's i think they changed the graphics late 80s early 90s, this stuff was super expensive even by todays standards, im trying to source a colour chart for the stuff.

Anyone have any good tips on locating old stock, im in uk and there isnt a great deal of rusto or krylon about (they did import it though,I def had a tin of rusto, and I think krylon back in the early eighties, but it got used, anyways...

IMG_1573.jpg

Interesting... the early style has a fat lip overcap. Ticks D'you have a flick of the UK Krylon design that wasn't the 5 ball logo? Used to use them all the time, but don't have flicks of any of them. Also would love to see what else you've got in the stash man!

check out the early nozzles...!

0ffc4403.jpg

I dont have any collection, I have this and and I found some later buntlackd65d4a25.jpg

really trying to find "lilac" buntlack, I believe it got discontinued in the 80s??

As for the Krylon, thats long gone, I would love to get a vintage tin and rusto), I see them on ebay in the states but dont want to get stung on the import costs?? anyone have any advice on this??

Those old caps were classic! Ticks man... D'you remember two different styles of Krylon in the UK? I never saw the classic 5 ball design once, only cans that had like a box/square design on the front with a color arc in it that I've only seen in a grainy shot in the Brighton Graffiti book. The range I was used to was only like 5-6 colors: Popsicle Orange, Cherry Red, True Blue, Glossy Black, Glossy White, Bright Yellow? Actually I think the can style was rim in too. What d'you remember?

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now