Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikro137

heres what happens when you are a player...

you get the following NOS cans from a mom and pop joint for maaaad cheap

3 cases topaz yellow

3 cases mtallic blue

1.5 12 pack cases of clover green

3 cases aqua turquois barcodes

2 paper label brass

2.5 cases spanish brown rust magic

1 case sebring green metal flake

1 case burgundy metal flake

1 case rallye red metal flake

mad baby blue

mad coral

1 rustoleum sign , with the chick spraying the metal chair in espos book

10 color charts aall but one featuring jungle green

all brand new like they just came off the line at borden all cheap as hell

all kept in an attic and all good pressure.

total insanity

ill have flix of the score this weekend

love mikro

i have no clue how canadian cans are labeled, i've never even seen one aside from online. the SWP "flatball" krylons are ALL dated 1991, and/or with '94 or later revision dates. clearly the mandarin is a borden can (pre-1991). krylon took the "rust magic" formula out of their decorator line in '83 but that was in the states. that can doesn't look that old, but anything's possible. it is canada afterall.

that's all i got.

got anymore of those? let me know.;)

IM LOOKING FOR RED DEVILS AND ODDS..I HAVE LOTS OF KRYLON BARCODES,AND TONS OF THAT SHERWIN FLATBALL JUNK..PLUS SOME DEVILS AND 63' KRYLONS FOR TRADE...SHOUT AT THE DEVIL IF YOU WANNA MAKE A DEAL..YOU DONT NEED A COSTUME FOR THIS SHOW........

for mr. joe welcome.

turns out the derusto isnt 59 at all, im just gulliable and believe everything i read. im sorry, i just wanted so much to believe it was older than my mom! oh well.

any idea on the age of the red devil? im thinking probably 80's?

you cant see the name on the red one, but its made my 'pactra' and on the right side, it has an airplane flying up towards the cap, and obviously in big ass letters it says 'DOPE' which although making no sense, is cool as hell. yeah joe, i can get em for trade if your interested.

any idea on this bbq red can? its both a paper label, and also barcode? no date on the can. rare at all?

finally, my light beige that i keep talking about to the point of annoyence. did i mention the cap says 'new'?

OH MY GOD!!!

By the way... the can of Tempo Truck and Van... the Bright Beauty and the Zelon all have metal lids... not plastic... weird...(at least for me...)

Is that can of light beige really that rare... I have on just like it...(NEW and all)!!!

I want one of those cans that say DOPE on them... that's that ill shit...

I'll trade you that "welfare gray" for your DOPE red... haha...

Gadzooks Batman... The Joker's punchlines get worse by the minute...:D:

ok, before everyone gets crazy about this, LIGHT BEIGE is not a 'crazy money' color. do not confuse scarcity among collectors with rarity and big money. we are can obsessives who find certain colors from certain times. i think the idea that a few people are looking for it was misconstrued somewhere.

can someone show me a Krylon Lemon Yellow can? NOT Glowing Lemon Yellow, just Lemon Yellow #1815.

• 2 weeks later...

the big wind-up (played to the tune of 1980's "The Big Throwdown" by South Bronx)....

1) Kane is talking about what appears to be a Canadian can on Seeking's shelf. Canadian cans have a different caution warning than US cans do, using three symbols of warning. on some Canadian cans, the can design is adapted to comply to this.

**canadian collectors- any info on when this started? how about Canadian cans without that warning on them, if any?

2) i don't know where this misspelling thing came from. but while we're on topic- the proper spelling is Rust-Oleum. Rusto is fine for a abbreviation. If you can't spell Fire Hydrant, well.....

3) Rust-oleum, probably due to their industrial roots, kept lead pigments in several styles of their paint until roughly 1970. supposedly there was last lead in 1972 Forest Green, but the 72 Forests i've seen do not contain lead. the 1967 FH Red had lead in it, and possibly the 1970 (confirm, slyle?) the paint industry knew what lead could do in its dried, chipping form and usually made it pretty clear what did and didn't have lead on the cans (excepting of course, EXTREMELY old paint predating aerosol paint). if so, rusto cans says it has lead on the back of the can. lead colors, incidentally, are often whites, reds and yellows and colors made from these colors.

4) Sparvar gets crazy disrespect for no good reason. this mysterioso krylon sub-division is a pretty scarce thing and they made lots of the same colors as krylon. nice cans too, especially the pre-borden ones.

i hope someone out there takes their sparvar seriously, it's just as worth collecting as any other paint!

/////take me out with the fader///

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of which, just came across a pound can of E-POX-E "polar white" enamel (duro plastic, 1971 paper label) and an old benwood "heritage olive" paper label (benjamin moore) today....

bump for getting weird old cans for free because the old guy at the hardware store thinks they probably dont work......

can value is strongly based on availability. the only way to learn availability is to get out there and start looking. what's discontinued? check krylon.com and rustoleum.com- everything that's not there is discontinued. including terracotta.

rustmagic- for those who think the 'techniques' page is the best part of subway art

Guest 5:00 Shadow

attn: collectors

I am looking for collectors in the NY/ NJ area w/ extensive collections of cans and related items, for some documetation of the hobby...for more info please e-mail me at FivePmShadow@hotmail.com

peace.............

• 2 weeks later...

an old thread, i dont know if anyone keeps up with it anymore....but.....for personal reasons i am in serious need of one can of krylon marigold yellow, if anyone is interested in selling or if you know where i can get one please hit me up on email, thanks

shit i can get anyone as much terra cotta as they want, email me if you want it.

speaking of which, i don't like that color too much. what does it go with? i don't see it being very useful except for highlights and such.

Worth 3 bucks to who? It all depends on what you want to collect, and why. Flatballls are a good place to start, sometimes borden bar codes. Its a start and most can still be found on shelves with a little digging. Aswer the first few questions, and you might find an answer...

• 2 weeks later...

not really...just stocking up on some colonial blue, mauve, and rose. hoping to sell some if anyone would like any. the guy that owns the place said i could write down shit i was looking for and he'd call me if he got any in. he said he got someone a jungle green one time.

Guest newyuckshity

i havent seen grass-green over here in almost a year. whats the story with it? i only have 4 cans left and im to much of a bitch to use em.

Flat Balls dont always mean better quality. I think it was in the mid 80's that the quality of paint was changed around. I know with rusto that 83 cans spray like krylon but still cover like rusto, (Basically they dont stutter when they talk). I think older krylons (name labels and older) are the better ones, but I have not used them in a while and really dont notice too much of a difference. Look at pacific blue, that is a great color, everything that krylon should be. There are alot of factors why some colors like yellows and oranges suck and the blues and grey (or should i say gray) cover good. I dont want to get into it now, maybe another day, or maybe someone can pick up where I leave off.

Guest newyuckshity

^^^

yes the hot pink paper label short cuts are gone... hold on to it. festival green discontinued as well

school bus yellow is as good as painting with lemonade, pure garbage. manderin i have not seen in a while either. mauve is everyday stuff.

i stumbled upon some Krylon California colors...

remember those?

if anyone is interested let me know im down to trade sell or whatever

Hate to tell you but a price guide is usless at this point, and just way too much work. If you are collecting only for shear value, I would say to quit now. A can is only worth what someone would pay for it. Most of the time I just pass up on some cans just cause the only thing I could do with them is use them. As far as shortcuts, I cant help you with them. Joe whats your take on all this?

what's my take?

well, i believe that most, if not all of the shortcut cans i've ever seen are paper labels. then again, i don't pay much attention to them.

the day a price guide comes out for spray cans is the day i quit. priceguides cause more problems than they solve. i want nothing to do with it. like slyle said, if you're collecting for the cash you're not gonna last very long.

Well the cans I was posting was nothing special. I was more or less showing people the different generations of krylons cans, if anyone noticed. You start with the old midget cans, then the early 60's small tops. From there I took you to the rookie borden year with the borden script, next was similar, spray paint cans, aka fat seams, aka 68 cans. Though they were produced well after 68. From there you got your name on cans notch tops ( not pictured regular name on cans). Next Ing caps, then name labels, and last bar codes. Though sherman williams procuced barcodes, and even PAPER LABELS, I prefer to stop at the borden years. Uhhhhhh, ok, I AM DONE.

Archived