Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paper labels are as old as the brand itself. Starting in the late 50's krylon had cans produced in paper label and metal lithograph cans. This was done all the way into the early 80's when all cans were lithograph, though occasionally you can find a late borden or early sherwin williams can in paper label.

By the color names you mention I assume you are refering to name on cans from the late 70's till the notch top style can in the early 80's. Some collectors prefer paper labels, while others like the glossy look of the lithograph cans. I for one think a real clean paper label is alot harder to find as opposed to a lithograph can. You can only clean a paper label so much, but lithos if they have no tarnish can be cleaned to the point where they look like they did when new.

You also have the debate of notch top or not. Seems mostly all collectors tend to prefer the rare notch top. A style of cap with a slot down the side. This is a unique cap that I have only seen on krylon and sparvar. European style cans also had this style cap but they were only similar in design and can easily be distinguished when compared to each other. These tend to bring the most money. I think most notch tops have a basic start value of $30 a can in good clean condition and they just go up from there. Name on cans without the notch tend to sell less.

Given the rarity of name on cans, I still see some newer cans barcodes and even flat ball sherwin williams selling for far more than they should. You can still find those in stores if you look, good luck finding any name on cans or older in a store these days, they pretty much don't exist anymore....hope this helps, sorry if it is a little long winded....

Not an easy task, especially if you are diggin for them. I don't know if anyone recently has found them in stores, usually you gotta dig by "other" means.... Being he is not in the US it must of cost a good buck or is it quid???
"it must of cost a good buck or is it quid?". Damn Slyle, was that a dig or an assumption? Perhaps all of those Big Faces that Sir Nick has/had doesn't qualify as a legit commodity to barter with? Even if Nick were to throw a steamer trunk of Pound notes across the pond, at the exchange rate, (then and now) he'd still be ahead of the game. Think about it. He acquired the bulk of his collection when the Pound was at $1.92 to one. Almost two to one. Thus, basically, every can he as was buying at the time was at a buy one get one free level. He's way ahead of the game.

I've stated it many of times, cash is the easiest thing to acquire on this earth. Whereas time remains the most invaluvable of all assets. Time digging, verses time acquiring cash? If one can spend less time acquiring large amounts of cash, verses spending loads of time chasing cans, why not? Oh, I am not discounting the thrill of the hunt either. Lord knows I've enjoyed many of my excursions. Merely stating that if you have the loot, and not the time why not? One should be grateful for the few that can afford the luxury of purchasing the few available high-end cans out there. For these individuals, enrich us by purchasing our cans thus, funding the next road trip or the next round of mailings.

As for the cans not being mint. You're right. They aren't. But nevertheless, a great grouping of a product line which never aged well from the outset.

I give props to Nick. he had the desire, the drive to pursue his passion. And has you stated, not an easy acquisition for somebody residing in the UK!

I wish you all luck with all of your passions. Cheers!

^^ I cosign that statement ..

Basically rarity and what people collect depends on what generation

They came up in..I am from Columbus Ohio home of the Borden, Sparvar Krylon..These brands hit

Close to home for me^..If I get a SW Krylon it's usually gonna get sold or used..

Some of the rare colors and brands are cool but I basically like Rusto and Krylon..

My goal is to get every color made of rusto and Krylon ever made..From the new to the old..

So depending on the person even box logos and 3D 5-balls have cans that are hard to find..

If I find something I don't collect on a dig I usually know who does and will trade to get other cans or sell to buy a hard to find color..

Even the Most serious collector has bought a hard to find can at one time or another..

If you say you found all those juicy colors on digs or racking youz lying..

Bump Cook my man got some ILL cans..I don't care how he got them they are his..they are displayed proper to educate the masses now..that's what it's really about...

The rescue

Archived