Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Yeah if you search the thread I think I have gone over it. Copyright years on cans are not always correct, and it is not an exact science. General rules of thumbs is if it has old 1/2 digit zip codes on can it is before 1963. Same goes for warning on front. Bar Codes on cans usually dates them to late 70's or later. (They first started barcodes in 1974) Lots of cans do have 2 or 4 digit dates on them that help pin them down a lil, rusto for the most part always dates their cans.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. I was just wondering because my friend got six cans of two different colors each of krylon, the newer label with the five spheres and it said 1991 also same thing on a can of almond i found

take one of each color... if you can get it,they are cool cans too

Thats is some really good user stock you found there. Osh is supposed to be real good, but I have not had any experience with it yet. (Its a west coast thing I guess) You might wanna save the scotti and some of the flat balls if that is your thing. You also have one of those "ribbed" champion cans. New can always found their design interesting, and you don't see them too often.

That life spray enamel copper is probably the most interesting can to me. Never seen that one before. It is probably as old as the flat black scotti if not older. Also that pactra imperial. Too bad it is missing a top, but I do know a guy who collects those.

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty hard to do with paper labels. You can wipe away a little bit of dirt and grime with a damp paper towel, but if you soak the paper, it will crinkle and look even worse. Wiping the paper with strong solvent is bad, because the printing ink seems to react very quickly.

Metal lithographed cans are pretty resilient, and you can remove a good bit of grease and dried paint before damaging the print. Rusto is the hardest to clean, while Krylon removes pretty readily with acetone or xylene. Most silver wipes off as quickly as a layer of dust with acetone. Sometimes I'd rather keep the overspray and leave the can as i found it.

It's pretty hard to do with paper labels. You can wipe away a little bit of dirt and grime with a damp paper towel, but if you soak the paper, it will crinkle and look even worse. Wiping the paper with strong solvent is bad, because the printing ink seems to react very quickly.

Metal lithographed cans are pretty resilient, and you can remove a good bit of grease and dried paint before damaging the print. Rusto is the hardest to clean, while Krylon removes pretty readily with acetone or xylene. Most silver wipes off as quickly as a layer of dust with acetone. Sometimes I'd rather keep the overspray and leave the can as i found it.

yep,paper labels are pain in the ass lol,i did the same thing with them,towel and its done,i keep overspray which is not visible until you remove the cap,i keep it just to see the right color,since some cans don't matches with color on the cap + some dupli cans had color code and name under the cap so if you remove overspray you will remove the color name also. but once i had to remove paper label with color name which was on the cap,it used to look like a blank label which is burned from sun,i threw that cap in hot water and after 20 min i came to take it off and i was like "wtf!" color name stook there,it become visible i dont know how but label lost look of old paper which was yellow and now it was white with black letters which used to look like a fresh printed ones :lol: weird shit tho

Talk to Jib25 about cleaning paper labels....way too much time on his hands but he gets the job done. He has some before and after shots of cans that are amazing....

where i can see that pics? its up on cmc? if yes please link it

That sounds great. Glad someone is taking the time to learn how to be a conservator for spray cans. Way too many folks wasting their time restoring old paintings. Seriously though, I'd be curious about how he keeps the paper intact.

Archived