translated literature

Guest DMX

what's everybody's take on this? it seems like a shame to only be able to read stuff that was written in languages that you speak but at the same time it kinda seems to take some of the romance out of it... i'mm currently reading the english version of kafka's the castle and i can't help but wonder what kafka himself would think of it. anyways this thread is boring and stupid sorry

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

take the romance out of it ?

why are you reading a book with fabio on the cover?

seriously, good books should be shared with as many people as possible.

And, a faithfull and well crafted translation is a work of art in itself.

no this thread is not boring and stupid, seriously, the subject is still discussed a lot in literary circles.

One of my favorite authors is Milan Kundera, and his books are all in either french or czech. i can't help but wonder what he was originally saying, and its also interesting to see the same books being translated by different people. essentially this means that someone read both versions, then decided that it wasn't a good interpertation of what the original translator was suggesting, so gave a shot at their own version. i really wish i was bilingual

Archived