A Tribe Called Quest

WISE

A Tribe Called Quest

http://www.getmusic.com/microsites/tribe/images/tribe_cutout.gif'>

Without question the most intelligent, artistic rap group during the '90s, A Tribe Called Quest jump-started and perfected the hip-hop alternative to hardcore and gangsta-rap. In essence, they abandoned the macho posturing which rap music had been constructed upon, and focused instead on abstract philosophy and message tracks. The "sucka MC" theme had never been completely ignored in hip-hop, but Tribe confronted numerous black issues — date rape, use of the word nigger, the trials and tribulations of the rap industry — all of which overpowered the occasional game of the dozens. Just as powerful musically, Quest built upon De La Soul's jazz-rap revolution, basing tracks around laidback samples instead of the played-out James Brown-fests which many rappers had made a cottage industry by the late '80s. Comprised of Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, and Phife, A Tribe Called Quest debuted in 1989 and released their first album People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm one year later. Their second album The Low End Theory was, quite simply, the most consistent and flowing hip-hop album ever recorded, though the trio moved closer to their harder contemporaries on 1993's Midnight Marauders. A spot on the 1993 Lollapalooza Tour showed their influence with the alternative crowd — always a bedrock of A Tribe Called Quest's support — but the group kept it real on 1996's Beats, Rhymes and Life, a dedication to the streets and the hip-hop underground.

My fav. hip hop of all time, I mean EVERY one of their albums is fucking hot. And each one is original.

I'm currently bumpin Midnight Marauders, got that shit on repeat until workday is done.

I know there has to be a few tribe fans

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

bullshit overated.

so my first Tribe experience came very early.

A good friend of my fathers was a reviewer for bmg music.

She got all the promos and wrote a little something about them.

Luckily, I got all the left-overs.

So I had the People's Instinctive Travels before it came out.

At the time I was still very young and still learning my musical tastes.

wow. It shocked me. It was a whole new world.

bonita

bonita

bonita

It's kind of weird how they said how they built upon De La Soul, they came out before, or at least the same time?

thanks alot ron carter, on the bass, check it out, ron carter, on the bass. . .(i think that's what they say).

Yeah Tribe, De La, Jungle Bro's. , Busta, and some others all came out around the same time and were building off each other, it was the native tongues collective. I dunno the exact years, but both groups came out in like 89(ish).

Q-Tip is on some different stuff right now, but I'll still bump vibrant thing.

Phife came out with a solo, it had that one hot song "flawless" and Ali hooked up w/ Lucy Pearl, which I like a bit. Tribe was dope cuz everyone involved was killing shit, not just the lead man.

is it obvious I'm a fan?

industry rule number 4080 record people are shaaaady/ so kids watch your back because i think they smoke crack/ i dont doubt it just look how they act.

this thread has inspired me to download all the songs from peoples instincive travels.... my ex girlfriend sat on my origional cd and broke it......fuckin bitch....i was soooooo pissed but was all like..its ok...i didnt even like it..it wasnt my favorite cd. dont worry.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Guest --zeSto--

a few of my favorite tribe bits...

Linden Boulevard represent, represent

Tribe Called Quest represent, represent

When the mic is in my hand, I'm never hesitant

My favourite jam back in the day was Eric B. for President

Hey, you're like a hip hop song, you know?

Bonita Applebum, you gotta put me on

Are you ready, Lu?

This one is for you,

Comin' from a true-blue, fits like a shoe.

? or "Commenet-allez-vous"?

Lucien, I'll leave it up to you.

Listen here. This is Cool DJ Red Alert

Known as the true, the only, the very one, the Propmaster

There's only one thing I gotta tell ya

There's a whole lotta propmasters out there. You know what I mean

Shaheed a propmaster, Q-Tip a propmaster

The Jungle Brothers a propmaster, BDP a propmaster

45 King a propmaster

I won't tell you nuthin bout the ladies, they ain't no propmaster

But you know who's the main propmaster

MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

and that whip noise at the head of Oh My God.

"Like getting stomach aches when ya gotta go to work

Or staring into space when you're feeling berserk

I don't really mind if it's over your head

Cuz the job of resurrectors is to wake up the dead"

Hands go in my pocket, I can't speak

Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack

Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said

"Why?" I said, "We gotta go

'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

Archived